Travel insurance

G & T for me

10 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Hmmm, which ever you choose, make sure you read the T&Cs and make sure you are actually covered.

Good advise. 

My parents booked a cruise departing from Sydney. The cruise cost roughly £7000, including flights and overnight hotel. 

Due to medical reasons my Dad could not get a visa to enter Australia. (Due to Dad's medical history he had to undergo a medical examination to get a visa. During the exam the doctor found an undiagnosed medical condition, which prevent Dad from flying.) 

They had to cancel the holiday but only got back £5000 from their insurance as they had not realised that they had a cancellation limit.

11 hours ago, G & T for me said:

Hi...any recommendations following extensive heart surgery please?

Lots of good companies out there but as has been said, make sure they fit your requirements.  Have you or any of your close family served in the Armed Forces?  If so, try the Forces Pension Society; they have a group policy with AXAPPP which is very reasonable.  Our premium was half what we had been quoted for renewing an existing policy which ironically was with AXA.

If you scroll down this forum you will see a longish thread started by me about making a claim because DH was taken ill and we had to cancel our holiday.  I cannot fault the insurance company in any way and from the first phone call (I was very distressed and the young man on the other end of the phone was so reassuring and kind) to the time the money was refunded took only 4 weeks.

Hope you find something and that you never have to use it!!!

• 3 weeks later...

We have heard of Staysure , Avanti, Insure and Go... for different pre existing conditions. They will do an over the phone/ online screening with you. 

Be very careful of what they are actually offering you. You will also need to consider whether you need European, Worldwide or Worldwide plus USA...and also Cruise Cover. Also it is worth getting a few quotes to compare.

Try a Google search for Insurance with Pre existing Medical Conditions.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just got out travel ins. its with FREE SPIRIT I had a heart attack 4 yrs ago, also have AF. my hubby as INTERMITANT CLAUDICATION. also DIABETES 2 and he was in hospital last year with heart probs. I have declared everything, and the price was £ 287 for both of us. that's a week to the FJORDS in june. hope that helps. lynn

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

For anyone still interested in insurance.  My husband has prostate cancer and was offered insurance by Freedom, although we did not take it as we have gone with Saga Cruises which include the insurance for free and were happy to cover us both.  If using another insurance company you must state you need it for a cruise.  It is also really important to tell them all your medical problems otherwise they will wriggle out of paying if you need to claim. 

13 hours ago, shoreham01 said:

For anyone still interested in insurance.  My husband has prostate cancer and was offered insurance by Freedom, although we did not take it as we have gone with Saga Cruises which include the insurance for free and were happy to cover us both.  If using another insurance company you must state you need it for a cruise.  It is also really important to tell them all your medical problems otherwise they will wriggle out of paying if you need to claim. 

Good advice, make sure you have insurance that actually covers your circumstances.

• Like 1

I was actually quite surprised - have been diagnosed with a couple of fairly trivial but permanent medical conditions so declared them both when booking my insurance this year, and it turned out to be £10 cheaper than last year despite the disclosure ! But yes, always declare everything else they'll find excuses not to pay out.

We used to have free insurance included in our bank account but as my husband is now over 80 they will no longer insure him.  There are many travel insurance companies in the UK who will not insure people who have reached the age of 80.