TV on NCL

veggieguy21

7 hours ago, pieshops said:

as a chef I do not get the fascination with the lobster , this is a crappy freshwater lobster that has zero flavor and tastes horrible , now if this was a Maine real Lobster then I could see an issue

Yessssss.  THANK YOU!!!!  Crappy lobster that everyone complains about not getting...I just don't understand.  If that obsessed, just stay home and order some fresh Main lobster online/overnight and do it yourself - likely way cheaper than going on a cruise to have rubbery lobster.

Hmmmm....unless things have changed, I sailed NCL last Sept.  Didn't eat in the MDRs as I had too many "free" dinners with SDP and being Platinum.  Found Lobster in Ocean Blu.  Carried my drinks anywhere I wanted.  But, I think they ended up pouring them in a glass vs carrying around a can or bottle.  Didn't really matter to me.

Not sure which sports events they televised.  But, I do remember seeing some MLS, Tennis, MLB and Road Racing.  I think college games don't have the same fan base as pro sports do, however.  Looking for NCAA basketball would be akin to watching minor league soccer.  I think they try to appeal to the widest possible audiences, which indeed is very international.

I have watched NFL games on in season on NCL, too.

No Nascar, I always ask because hope springs eternal.

My take on why NCL doesn't show much American sports is that they cost too much.  Our cable companies are constantly locked in battle with the networks over pricing.  NCL shows soccer mostly (last cruise soccer from Turkey) and unless you're on a cruise during playoffs or the Superbowl, it's probably not on.

Because our ship left so late last November, I was able to watch the Homestead Race (Nascar Superbowl) on my phone sitting by Maltings.  

Oh, and you can bring a DVR device and watch shows you pre-recorded at home by plugging it into the TV.  (My wife can't sleep without the TV on, and the ship channels shut off for 10 minutes between shows.  But there are no commercials.  (Hence the 10 minute gap))

If you are concerned about available tv stations when you go on vacation, cruising probably isn’t a good idea. Considering your experience with cruising and reading boards i’m surprised  you didn’t know it ahead of time.

NCL’s decision on not having ESPN  in their tv lineup has little to do with that Disney owns it and more about the $$$.

It's good to hear that NFL games and March Madness are shown! It actually sounds like live sports have gotten better.

I remember when we cruised the Escape during the 2016 Summer Olympics, and missed the whole thing. They just had what appeared to be the same soccer game over and over again.

5 hours ago, 100th Meridian said:

If you are concerned about available tv stations when you go on vacation, cruising probably isn’t a good idea. Considering your experience with cruising and reading boards i’m surprised  you didn’t know it ahead of time.

NCL’s decision on not having ESPN  in their tv lineup has little to do with that Disney owns it and more about the $$$.

C’mon now. If you’re concerned about the internet, coke or Pepsi, type of beer, sparkling wine in your room, food at the buffet, etc etc, does that mean “cruising probably isn’t a good idea” also? It’s a nice perk to be able to catch your favorite team/sport on TV for a bit while on vacation. For what it costs to cruise, I don’t think this is too much to ask from the cruise line. Thankfully, from what I read here, NCL DOES show many of the popular “American” sports on TV on most of their ships. Good to hear! 

I’ll be on the Encore in January 2020 and hoping to catch some hoops while sipping on my favorite adult beverage! 

12 hours ago, Fk3908 said:

C’mon now. If you’re concerned about the internet, coke or Pepsi, type of beer, sparkling wine in your room, food at the buffet, etc etc, does that mean “cruising probably isn’t a good idea” also? It’s a nice perk to be able to catch your favorite team/sport on TV for a bit while on vacation. For what it costs to cruise, I don’t think this is too much to ask from the cruise line. Thankfully, from what I read here, NCL DOES show many of the popular “American” sports on TV on most of their ships. Good to hear! 

I’ll be on the Encore in January 2020 and hoping to catch some hoops while sipping on my favorite adult beverage! 

So you aren’t allowed ask about things anymore.

to be frank I’m sick of hearing people, on so many topics, get told by others that cruising may not be for them. Same as attacks on people asking about various types of drinks or bottled water.

i recently asked about Canera brands on a particular line and got similar responses from some, sure the ship not selling the camera I was after wasn’t going to destroy my cruise, but with all the oBC I had it would have been nice.

3 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

to be frank I’m sick of hearing people, on so many topics, get told by others that cruising may not be for them. Same as attacks on people asking about various types of drinks or bottled water.

i recently asked about Canera brands on a particular line and got similar responses from some, sure the ship not selling the camera I was after wasn’t going to destroy my cruise, but with all the oBC I had it would have been nice.

Why did you quote me? It was “100th Meridian” who remarked about cruising not being right for them. I happen to agree with YOU. 

8 minutes ago, Fk3908 said:

Why did you quote me? It was “100th Meridian” who remarked about cruising not being right for them. I happen to agree with YOU. 

Sorry, I must have hit quote on the wrong post, blame my crappy eyes.

On 1/7/2019 at 2:41 PM, stampincrazyinTX said:

Yessssss.  THANK YOU!!!!  Crappy lobster that everyone complains about not getting...I just don't understand.  If that obsessed, just stay home and order some fresh Main lobster online/overnight and do it yourself - likely way cheaper than going on a cruise to have rubbery lobster.

while sitting in your lounge chair watching you favorite sports team play. :classic_blink:

We are avid sports fans but can still enjoy a good vacation and leave the sports behind for one week or so. 

16 hours ago, Fk3908 said:

It’s one thing to ask honest questions about a cruise/cruise line, but the OP post is purely venting dissatisfaction on NCL for them not having ESPN (plus no lobster and soda issue). 

Sure it is a nice perk to catch your favorite team on TV while on vacation, but I wouldn’t expect it on a cruise (unless it was a major event). 

The OP’s post comes across as negative. It’s one thing to say “overall, I enjoyed the cruise, however wished they had ESPN, served lobster and gave the whole can of soda to me” and another to just list the negatives of the cruise. It comes off as those reasons were why your cruise wasn’t good.

As mentioned, the OP has a fair amount of experience cruising and reading boards. I’m surprised he didn’t know this beforehand.

If having ESPN is really that important (that’s what the post is about), and one is upset enough to have a post about it (a completely negative post btw), it comes across as you did not enjoy the cruise and you should re-evaluate whether one should be cruising on NCL or any other cruise line.

Just my two cents

I can remember being on a Costa ship once and word got around that  the Super Bowl would not be shown....a small protest group assembled and met with the Captain...when we were in the port at Key West you could see men climbing the large Dish and trying to reposition it🤗 everyone was cheering from the dock !!! we got our Super Bowl😃 Can't see that happening today:classic_cool:

Also once, on the Gem we spent 2 days in a Noreasterner while on a TA to NYC.40-60 ft swells:classic_unsure: The Captain kept saying stay in your rooms...we kept saying give us free movies and we will!!! We had just spent about 18 days learning all about the Kadashians !!!!if you wanted to watch tv.....the movies were being priced at $4.95 per view...I kid you not !!!  

3 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

It’s one thing to genuinely ask or inquire, but the OP post is just a negative rant/complaint. 

Its one one thing to ask if ESPN is one of channels available on the ship, another to complain that it wasn’t available (especially from an experienced cruiser). 

I get what you are saying about the “cruising isn’t for you” comments, but someone coming off a cruise and just posting about all the negatives about it comes across as a person who may want to reconsider cruising on NCL or any other cruise line.