Formal evening wear in Queens Grill restaurant

chriswat

We have sailed before on Cunard but not since their changes to the dress code - first time the Queens Grill on Queen Mary in 2010 (all in dinner suits for formal evenings - last time it was the Queen Victoria in the Princess Grill and at our table of six all the men were in dinner suits for the formal nights.

My husband realises he needs a jacket and maybe a tie for the informal nights, but for the Gala Evenings he is wondering if the Queens Grill restaurant men guests are mostly in dinner suits.?

Perhaps a CC member who has travelled recently on QE can enlighten me on the mens dress attire in the Queens Grill.

Many thanks.

In my experience in all four main restaurants, the majority of gents (up to 95%) will wear dinner jackets/tuxedos on formal nights. But no-one will look down their nose or make comments to or about a man who is wearing a dark suit as this is part of the definition of formal or gala as it is called these days.

I have noticed a higher percentage of men wearing formal wear vs suits in the Grills than in Britannia on some voyages.

Edited by david,Mississauga

Nearly all men wore dinner suit/tuxedo on formal/gala nights on all three of the voyages I’ve been on in the last two years. It is fine to wear a suit and tie instead, but I’d probably still go for a white shirt and a dark (perhaps navy?) tie. 

On the short Xmas cruise I did on QE a few weeks ago, there were a few people that seemed totally confused by the dress code and perplexed as to why everyone was getting so dressed up. They seemed to find it funny! I’m not sure they had done their homework before booking a Cunard cruise! I still hope they enjoyed themselves. 

AF

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:18 PM, bz said:

So we're from the USA.   Is a dinner suite what we would call a tuxedo?

I had the same question. We don't speak proper English in the USA.  Thanks for the help. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TV Dad said:

I had the same question. We don't speak proper English in the USA.  Thanks for the help. 

As an American with a keen ear, I collect accents, matching accents with countries and regions and ethnicity. Even in the UK there are not only regional accents, there are class accents as well.  So what you probably meant was we have difference accents, but more interestingly different words for the same items. As a guy if I went into a store looking for what we Americans call pants, I might get a strange look. The term in the UK would be trousers, pants being ladies intimate apparel. We might go to a theater to see a film (which curiously sounds like fillum in Canada) whilst a Brit would go to the Cinema (note I used the word Whilst as opposed to While, both meaning the same thing). There is also a different way for handling collective nouns. Americans would say Cunard is doing something and the Brit would say Cunard are doing something. It's a wonderful language un-managed by Academics who define grammar, usage and words. 

We (from California) have upcoming QE2 cruises:  NY to UK [travel UK] then UK to NY, and although originally I was going to pick up a tuxedo, I decided to go with a black suit (that I could wear multiple times in the future), with various waist coats (one with blue velvet) and bow ties.    Not quite James Bond, but the combo's look formal enough.  😀

• 2 months later...

Formal nights in the QM2 Queens Grill DR  are indeed  a beautiful sight. But overdone a bit for us Yanks used to the more casual setting of a Seabourn or Silversea cruise, even on their formal nights, which are very few. There, one hardly ever sees any more many tuxedos. The Brits on board, and many weighing in on this thread as you can see,  loved the QG formal nights. 3 formal nights out  of 7 on the crossing. I wear my dark blue blazer with tie and feel very comfortable not having to bring along the formal outfits for myself and my wife. What was the Revolution for anyway?

On 1/9/2019 at 3:26 AM, AspirationalFlyer said:

Nearly all men wore dinner suit/tuxedo on formal/gala nights on all three of the voyages I’ve been on in the last two years. It is fine to wear a suit and tie instead, but I’d probably still go for a white shirt and a dark (perhaps navy?) tie. 

On the short Xmas cruise I did on QE a few weeks ago, there were a few people that seemed totally confused by the dress code and perplexed as to why everyone was getting so dressed up. They seemed to find it funny! I’m not sure they had done their homework before booking a Cunard cruise! I still hope they enjoyed themselves. 

AF

I have a theory about the dress down people on a Christmas cruise. I saw some on a QM2 Christmas cruise a few years ago. On Christmas night, I walked through Kings Court on my way to dinner. The dress code says no shorts after 6 PM, but there were quite a few people in sloppy shorts and t-shirts, sprawled on the chairs like sullen adolescents. I think they were part of larger family groups who didn't want to go on the cruise, didn't want to dress up, and were just generally cranky because they were being dragged along. (I had the misfortune to be on a tour with some of them and cranky is an understatement!)

59 minutes ago, brittany12 said:

Formal nights in the QM2 Queens Grill DR  are indeed  a beautiful sight. But overdone a bit for us Yanks used to the more casual setting of a Seabourn or Silversea cruise, even on their formal nights, which are very few. There, one hardly ever sees any more many tuxedos. The Brits on board, and many weighing in on this thread as you can see,  loved the QG formal nights. 3 formal nights out  of 7 on the crossing. I wear my dark blue blazer with tie and feel very comfortable not having to bring along the formal outfits for myself and my wife. What was the Revolution for anyway?

If you appreciate what a beautiful sight it is, why not be part of that beautiful sight? (the Revolution wasn't about clothing)

• Like 6

In the interests of full disclosure, I must confess that I’ve never been in QG (not sure I can afford it either...!) and my comments above are based on a mixture of Britannia and Britannia Club. 

I will hopefully try one of either PG or QG one day.