what is this -- Non Refundable pricing?

igar39

I have never booked a non-refundable deposit until this year.  I simply took the platinum insurance at booking.  and I had good reason to do so - a much better price for a solo.  I added the Have it all package on after and the cruise was FAR cheaper for me as a solo than if I had booked it refundable with either Advantage or HIA fare.

Sorry, @Oceansaway17 I disagree with you - my pricing as a solo was far superior as I pointed out above. And from experience, I know HAL welcomes, solos, children, etc.

It’s a matter of reading your terms and conditions and / or asking the questions so you now what you have before you buy it.  We each have a responsibility to do that with any purchase we make IMO.  😉 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sea42 said:

From my recent experience non-refundable deposits can be moved, one time, to another cruise.

How recent?  And, how far out was it moved?  Thank you for sharing.

I do understand HAL is not consistent.  Did you book directly or with a TA?

I really struggled with whether to book refundable or NFD for my May 2023 cruise, but, in the end I did book refundable.  The difference($$) is quite a bit.

4 hours ago, FlorenceItaly said:

How recent?  And, how far out was it moved?  Thank you for sharing.

I do understand HAL is not consistent.  Did you book directly or with a TA?

I really struggled with whether to book refundable or NFD for my May 2023 cruise, but, in the end I did book refundable.  The difference($$) is quite a bit.

I booked through a TA. The cruise was scheduled for January 2022 and I cancelled it, I think, in October.

• Like 1

I am required to pay for the insurance for my non refundable deposit price at the time of booking.  So if I have to cancel before final payment, do I lose the deposit and The cost of insurance. I can’t imagine the insurance would cover the cost of the NR deposit!  Apologies if this is a really dumb question. This is the first time I’ve considered NR deposit. 

On 1/8/2019 at 10:50 AM, IPB4IGO said:

As mcrcruiser said, check the credit card you are using to book the cruise.

Our plain old Costco Citi Visa card includes coverage that would fully reimburse us for our fares if we cancel for any of the reasons that would cause us to cancel: health issues, death of anyone in our immediate family (not only the two of us who are cruising), if "the Covered Traveler’s Family Member, not traveling on the Trip, has an injury or illness that is either life threatening or requires care from the Covered Traveler(s) and is verified by a licensed medical practitioner", even a sick pet!

I suggest you check your card benefits. I believe travel insurance was eliminated several years ago:

Please note, as of September 22, 2019, trip cancellation and interruption protection is no longer provided by the Costco Anywhere Citi Visa® Card. For additional benefit information, visit Costco Anywhere Citi Visa® Card or contact a Citi® expert at 1-855-378-6467 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week).

• Thanks 1

On 1/23/2019 at 1:55 PM, Curly-Q said:

I strongly disagree with this marketing ploy and believe, in time, it will come back and bite the cruise lines in the you-know-where!  I'm thinking the next generation of cruising Millennials don't like pre-planning or losing money....

In which case they can book the regular fare, instead of gambling on the heavily discounted non refundable option and then complaining because it’s non refundable.

On 6/15/2022 at 11:02 AM, kazu said:

Sorry, @Oceansaway17 I disagree with you - my pricing as a solo was far superior as I pointed out above. And from experience, I know HAL welcomes, solos, children, etc.

It’s a matter of reading your terms and conditions and / or asking the questions so you now what you have before you buy it.  We each have a responsibility to do that with any purchase we make IMO.  😉 

what I said happened over 2 1/2 years ago and it was about how I was treated when caught in the web of making a change and how they took a refundable deposit and made it non refundable without my knowledge.    And at that time I felt I was singled out for being solo.

so you just got a good deal.  good for you.