Aurora Borealis Scouting - MS Trollfjord, January 10 to 16, 2019

hallasm

I'm on my way to Bergen for a 6 day MS Trollfjord Journey from Bergen to Kirkenes - hoping to see the Northern Lights, however forecast not that promising.

I'm planning to post daily 'Aurora Borealis Scouting' Video Postcards from my journey in this thread  - I'll also post the videos and pictures at my Blog:  'Hurtigruten Northern Lights Cruise Review' - once back from the cruise I'll make a day-by-day cruise review.

2 hours ago, hallasm said:

I'm on my way to Bergen for a 6 day MS Trollfjord Journey from Bergen to Kirkenes - hoping to see the Northern Lights, however forecast not that promising.

I'm planning to post daily 'Aurora Borealis Scouting' Video Postcards from my journey in this thread  - I'll also post the videos and pictures at my Blog:  'Hurtigruten Northern Lights Cruise Review' - once back from the cruise I'll make a day-by-day cruise review.

Oh, we'll be with you in spirit.

Our RT last March was one of the most memorable trips we've taken.

(We are the first to admit that it was quite a surprise how very much we enjoyed ALL of it.  And we are hoping to return!)

We'll follow whatever you are posting, with enthusiasm (and a touch of envy!).

Here's hoping you see The Lights!

The Geezers*

GC

*actually, "Geezers in training" :classic_wink:

I will be watching for your posts.  You are always so informative and I doubt I will ever go on a winter Hurtigruten trip so this is the only way for me to "experience" it!  I am looking into sailing in May or June 2020 round trip Bergen.  I was last on Hurtigruten in 2005 and it looks like there have been quite a few changes on the ships since the new management took over.  Have a wonderful trip Hallasm and I'm wishing for good luck with sightings of the lights!

~Nancy

Some claim that it always rains in Bergen. It's just almost right. It al least rains slightly in 242 of the year's 365 days,- from September to March it’s raining between 15 and 21 days per month. Today was one of these 'wet days'. Did visit the major sights including Bryggen Wharf.

I hope to post some short videos - WiFi bandwidth is not in my favor.

Watched MS Trollfjord arriving into Bergen at 14:30. 

We did go to the terminal when check-in started at 16:00 - already a very long queue. Did queue for an hour. We had booked a mini suite. A special waiting room with snacks and drinks for suites guests. 

Cabins were ready at 18:00. Open seating for buffet from 18:00 to 21:00. Long queue for the restaurant until 20:30 - when we finally got a table at 20:30 the plates at the buffet were empty and staff did start to clean the buffet. Managed to get some smoked salmon, herrings and cheese - not the best start of the cruise. 

Departure at 22:00 - nice views from the outer decks. Hope to get a Trollfjord arrival and departure video posted.

B29ACEB9-C0CE-4D5D-B785-442888DC70BA.jpeg

Edited by hallasm

Second day - Friday - still no videos uploaded.

It blew a lot Friday and on the day's route we were in open water twice - we had to secure everything that could overturn. In the morning from Måløy to Torvik and in the evening from Molde to Kristiansund. The dinner time was moved two hours so dinner could be finished before we got out into the open water after Molde. The rest of the sailing was sheltered by islets and small islands. 

The day's long stop was in Ålesund. unfortunately it rained and we chose to stay on board.

FA13555A-20A1-479D-85F4-7B83F0F0D3A2.jpeg

27E8CDD5-CA67-44E9-839C-164E47CC9BCF.jpeg

hallasm

Thanks for the pix and videos.  We, too, had dark, threatening skies when we sailed from Bodø ( a little later than you did).  But I am sorry you stayed on the ship in Ålesund, which we found charming, despite the essentially "dead" city center.  We didn't have the inclement weather you encountered, of course - I can see how that would have been a deterrent, especially for walking.  We tried at every opportunity to leave the ship and walk, even if we were at the smallest port, so long as we were docked for at least 30-45 minutes.  Now that you are above The Circle, things will no doubt pick up for you, one way or another.  Hold on when you hit the Barents Sea!

13 minutes ago, Hunding said:

But I am sorry you stayed on the ship in Ålesund, which we found charming

The weather was not that good when we were in Ålesund - and we have been visiting Ålesund before.

Just before we reached Svolvær in Lofoten the sky was clear and we saw the Northern Lights for 40 minutes

P1001425X.JPG

P1001438x.JPG

P1001455x.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hallasm said:

The weather was not that good when we were in Ålesund - and we have been visiting Ålesund before.

Just before we reached Svolvær in Lofoten the sky was clear and we saw the Northern Lights for 40 minutes

P1001425X.JPG

P1001438x.JPG

P1001455x.JPG

That last one looks amazing!

Now... how was the *color* that you saw with your own eyed (not camera/video/etc.)?

Thanks!

GC

10 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Now... how was the *color* that you saw with your own eyed (not camera/video/etc.)?

The green color we saw with our eyes were just a little less intense. The lights were were beautiful to watch.

i have tried to get the pictures as close to what we did see as possible. 

1 hour ago, hallasm said:

The green color we saw with our eyes were just a little less intense. The lights were were beautiful to watch.

i have tried to get the pictures as close to what we did see as possible. 

Wow.

Once again, I think Hurtigruten should be giving you commissions.

Between you and Sarnia-lo... I'm sure others besides us also were "enticed" by both of you :classic_wink:

DH and I are now trying to think of when we should/could return to Norway and a Hurtigruten cruise.

Have you been to Svalbard on Hurtigruten, too?  

Or... Antarctica?  That is seeming more and more tempting.

We had been thinking that we should spend our travel time on "new areas"... You obviously feel it's worth the time (and expense) to spend yet more time with Hurtigruten and the Coastal RT (or sections of it).

Meanwhile, we are trying to decide about Polar Night vs. Midnight Sun.  I guess we need to do both, eh? :classic_smile:

Thanks so much for posting, and especially sharing these photos.  Seeing the Lights behind the mountains... especially beautiful!

GC

hallasm

I am so happy for you - you have seen the "Light!"  Seriously, so glad your quest has resulted in a marvelous success - seeing the Aurora and, for us,  your always-wonderful photographs and videos.  And you still have several days for MORE!

Have you been to Svalbard on Hurtigruten, too?  

Or... Antarctica?

Not yet - Antartica is on my list

You obviously feel it's worth the time (and expense) to spend yet more time with Hurtigruten and the Coastal RT (or sections of it).

Personally I do find the RT too much of the same - I prefer partial - then  you can combine with visits to some of the other great sights in Norway

Meanwhile, we are trying to decide about Polar Night vs. Midnight Sun.  I guess we need to do both, eh?

Both are great - if you like cold weather, snow and ice the Polar Night will be right for you.

I'm a bit behind with my blog and videos - here are some pictures from today (Monday) - sun rise 11:16 and sunset 12:37 - then we are sailing into the polar night - today Tromsø with lots of snow and time for dog sledging.

P1001602.JPG

P1001613.JPG

P1001615.JPG

P1001632.JPG

• Like 1