hotel near MIA airport

tripmom44

We are looking for a hotel near airport for one night pre-cruise Dec 2019.  2 adults and 2 kids - 17 and 20 at time of sailing.

Of course with it being the holiday season hotels are really expensive.  We don't need anything overly fancy, just want to have somewhere to sleep, maybe have a swim once we land.  Your usual chains like Hilton Garden Inn, Comfort Inn etc all fine.  If they have shuttle from airport/to port even better.

LaQuinta airport EAST & Days Inn airport NORTH both have free shuttles to /from the airport & free shuttle to the port. If you want to take the shuttle back from the port to airport it's $10 pp so taxi will be cheaper for 4 of you (about $27), Don't know about pools.

Look at hotels in the Blue Lagoon area near MIA - Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites and others.  Local strip mall nearby (across the street from the Hampton Inn) with grocery, drug and other stores plus dining and fast food options.  Taxi van to the port, if the hotel does not include a shuttle, will run about $30+

On 1/11/2019 at 7:24 AM, JohninDC said:

Look at hotels in the Blue Lagoon area near MIA - Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites and others.  Local strip mall nearby (across the street from the Hampton Inn) with grocery, drug and other stores plus dining and fast food options.  Taxi van to the port, if the hotel does not include a shuttle, will run about $30+

Do you know how far of a shuttle ride that would be ballpark?

From MIA to the hotels?  5-10 min.

From Blue Lagoon hotels to POM?  About 15-20+ minutes, depending upon traffic/day of the week.

With 4 passengers and bags a taxi van or UberXL will be better deals than any per person fee charged by shuttle companies.  Let the hotel front desk call the cab for you - they know who is reliable. :classic_wink:

Edited by JohninDC

maybe have a swim once we land.

I will try to manage your expectations ......

there is a myth that Miami is warm in the winter

jump in an unheated pool and MOST realize the truth!!!!

Of course, as a Florida resident I won't swim in water colder than 85 while my MN relatives never see water that warm.

Miami water temps in Dec in both the ocean and hotel pools are gonna be MN lake like ......... unless you find a heated pool/spa

Edited by Capt_BJ

We're booked at Residence Inn Miami Airport West/Doral.  It has queen beds, free parking since we'll have a rental car, and a free shuttle to the airport.  Not all airport hotels have these things which we felt we needed.  It has a pool, but we won't use that.  It rates very well on TripAdvisor.  I can post an update after we've stayed there in April.

18 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

maybe have a swim once we land.

I will try to manage your expectations ......

there is a myth that Miami is warm in the winter

jump in an unheated pool and MOST realize the truth!!!!

Of course, as a Florida resident I won't swim in water colder than 85 while my MN relatives never see water that warm.

Miami water temps in Dec in both the ocean and hotel pools are gonna be MN lake like ......... unless you find a heated pool/spa

Well, it will be a heck of a lot warmer than it is here in Canada in the winter.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cathep said:

We're booked at Residence Inn Miami Airport West/Doral.  It has queen beds, free parking since we'll have a rental car, and a free shuttle to the airport.  Not all airport hotels have these things which we felt we needed.  It has a pool, but we won't use that.  It rates very well on TripAdvisor.  I can post an update after we've stayed there in April.

Thank you for the offer to report back, I appreciate it

You can take a look at Miami Airport Marriott. Actually it's Marriott airport campus as their are

3 Marriott Hotels on site. A Marriott, A Courtyard Marriott and a Residence Inn. There is a free shuttle

running every 20 Minutes from the airport. The Marriott has a decent lobby bar and Restaurant and the Courtyard

has a nice sports bar. You can go to any of the bars or restaurants and charge to your room no matter which hotel

you are staying at. The Marriott sometimes offers a rate that includes transport to the port. You can always contact

them to confirm that.

We have stayed at Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon several times - it has an airport shuttle - and a port shuttle - also across the street from a Publix for any last minute pick ups. Also a Walgreens and CVS within walking distance.

Service is great - also they usually have a little wine party in the evening with munchies.  Staff have always been great. 

We have also stayed numerous times at Hampton Inn Blue Lagoon.   Excellent staff there.  The Publix across the street has great made to order deli sandwiches.   Nice breakfast at Hamptons in the morning.  Free airport shuttle and $10 per person to port shuttle.