Transfers from Southampton to LHR

shiphappy

My husband uses a rollator (walker) and I need to know when we disembark the ship - how far would the distance be to access a transfer service.  I am not familiar with the Southampton port and wonder how we would manage once we were off the ship.  Is there any assistance available?

Edited by shiphappy
Corrext

The distance will depend where you berth in Southampton. Our last disembarkation in Southampton, we purchased a ship transfer to LHR. The cruise line (Princess) had numerous employees ashore to provide assistance.

Can't remember which berth we used, but recall the bus being just outside the terminal.

• Like 1

We used a transfer service (International Friends) that took us to LHR via Bath as we wanted to revisit the area and had a late flight departure but they operate direct transfers as well. They met us right outside the terminal, approximately 20 metres from the exit of the terminal. Check out the London toolkit https://www.londontoolkit.com/

There are porters available at the cruise terminals. I think the only reason you'd need them would be for luggage, but there are also luggage trolleys similar to those at airports.

Taxis, pre-booked private transfers, ship's transfer buses, and the International Friends' tour / transfer buses mentioned by Mic (only suitable for flights after about 8pm) all pick up by the cruise terminal entrance. Some buses are disabled-accessible, most aren't - but they're all kneeling buses and about 3 steps to climb

They all drop you at the appropriate terminal at LHR.

For this journey forget travel by train.

If you go by https://www.nationalexpress.com/en (by far the cheapest) the coaches are accessible. You'll need a taxi (£5 to £10) from cruise terminal to Southampton coach station. Those buses drop you at the terminal entrances for Terms 4 and 5, but for Terms 1 and 2 they drop you at LHR bus station and it's a 10-minute walk.

There are porters at LHR but very expensive

JB :classic_smile:

7 hours ago, John Bull said:

There are porters available at the cruise terminals. I think the only reason you'd need them would be for luggage, but there are also luggage trolleys similar to those at airports.

Taxis, pre-booked private transfers, ship's transfer buses, and the International Friends' tour / transfer buses mentioned by Mic (only suitable for flights after about 8pm) all pick up by the cruise terminal entrance. Some buses are disabled-accessible, most aren't - but they're all kneeling buses and about 3 steps to climb

They all drop you at the appropriate terminal at LHR.

For this journey forget travel by train.

If you go by https://www.nationalexpress.com/en (by far the cheapest) the coaches are accessible. You'll need a taxi (£5 to £10) from cruise terminal to Southampton coach station. Those buses drop you at the terminal entrances for Terms 4 and 5, but for Terms 1 and 2 they drop you at LHR bus station and it's a 10-minute walk.

There are porters at LHR but very expensive

What is a kneeling bus?  Also, regarding porters at Heathrow, expensive?  Like how much?

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

The buses that drop down so passengers do not need to step up as high.

What he said. :classic_smile:

But you don't have to be a zod

I believe porterage at LHR costs from £9.

Unsurprisingly that's not first-hand information - JB is an unashamed tightwad

46 minutes ago, John Bull said:

What he said. :classic_smile:

But you don't have to be a zod

I believe porterage at LHR costs from £9.

Unsurprisingly that's not first-hand information - JB is an unashamed tightwad

😊😊😊

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/12/2019 at 6:15 AM, shiphappy said:

My husband uses a rollator (walker) and I need to know when we disembark the ship - how far would the distance be to access a transfer service.  I am not familiar with the Southampton port and wonder how we would manage once we were off the ship.  Is there any assistance available?

Most cruise lines operate a dedicated disembarkation assembly place on board for disabled travellers.  Normally people with disabilities may register at reception during the cruise for the service.  A pre-arranged point will be designated your disembarkation lounge.  Once the ship docks a team wearing yellow tabards bring wheelchairs on board to start collecting people.  They push them all the way down to the luggage hall, on the way you may collect a porter, so watch out for them as you leave the lift.  They take you to wherever you want to go, car park, taxi rank etc. for your onward arrangement.

I have never used the transfer buses to Heathrow myself but I know that passengers get allocated these buses on the basis of early/late flight times and different airports Gatwick/Heathrow.  Some people have buses that do an excursion en route such as Windsor Castle etc. if you have really late flights making it feasible.  

In my opinion the cruise line transfer to airport is the easiest and stress free but not the cheapest.

Regards John