San Francisco cruise terminal #27 and wine.

lizjohn

Hello everyone.  We are going on a Panama Canal cruise in September starting from Vancouver and our first stop is San Francisco.  Would anyone have any first hand knowledge about buying wine from somewhere close to the cruise terminal.  I want to buy al least 10 bottles to take on board with us.  Cheaper buying in US than Vancouver 

First & foremost, check your cruise line policies! Many only let you bring onboard even their allowed types of booze at embarkation, not at ports of call. While enforcement of any rule is always variable, I'd guess that unless your line explicitly allows additional wine to be brought on at PoC they may overlook a bottle or two but schlepping a case on is much more likely to see you having it confiscated (hopefully returned at disembarkation, but again check your cruise line rules!)

Assuming it's allowed, or you want to risk it, there are a metric buttload of wine-selling stores in SF. I recall seeing dozens of offsales spots as I walked around from Pier 27 - if you just want to save cash by drinking some modest plonk go anywhere, but if you're picky and want to buy some swanky Napas or whatnot hopefully some locals can advise on the best shops.

SSorry I should have mentioned that it was on Hal and I know hat we are allowed to bring on one bottle per person and anything over that will be charged $18 corkage.  I have purchased a wine package on a past  cruise aboard Hal and was not real happy with my choices.  I like a Rose or a white Zinfandel.  When I figure out my cost to buy on shore and include the cost of corkage it works out cheaper than buying on board whether a single bottle or one from a package.  At least this way I get a bottle that I am happy with.  A bottle that I like bought in the US  cost me $4.50 and equivalent in Canada is over $12.    I am sure not an expensive wine drinker.  LOL.  

I googled places close to the cruise ship terminal within walking distance and all I came up with is RJ market.  Glad to hear that there are other places.

Thanks for our help.

No worries. HAL actually charge you corkage for ALL bottles of wine brought on at PoC - the free one is only at embarkation, so you may as well bring one each from home if you did plan to drink any in your cabin rather than taking them to dinner. While you're totally right that cheap US plonk is often 3x the price up here if you can even find the same brand, it's still worth paying CAD$12 for if you avoid paying the US$18 a bottle corkage!

Yelp lists literally dozens of wine-selling places within a mile or less of pier 27, and if it's cheap-but-big-name plonk you want you should find some easily enough. Personally I'd still consider at least a few cheapy Canadian-acquired bottles - even here in the most expensive boozing province you can find some very quaffable plonk for under $10, though personally I'm not a White Zin fan so I can't give any specific suggestions... have a shufty on the BC Liquor web site though, this link should go straight to all the Roses sorted from cheapest upward! Find one that you know and like and it'll even tell you which stores have it in stock and how many bottles if you click the 'Where to Buy' button - closest liquor store to the pier is only ~300metres away in the Harbourfront centre.

You found a good wine for $4.50 a bottle?  Good luck finding anything in SF at that price good, bad or vinegar.  Second, unless you have been to SF before I can't think spending time shopping for wine would be high on my priority list.  But, if it is then take an UBER to the Walgreens 135 Powell Street and shop away.  The store is considered a "flagship" Walgreens with a huge selection of wines at a very reasonable price.  It's three floors of stuff with coffee bar and very good fresh made sushi.  It's a block from Union Square so not a bad place to walk around and do some sightseeing.  There's also a BevMo at 1301 Van Ness that will have a large selection of wines.  You might even be able to pre-order on line at BevMo and have it ready to pick up.  I have never done it but I heard it's possible.  

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

On 1/14/2019 at 4:03 PM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

You found a good wine for $4.50 a bottle?  Good luck finding anything in SF at that price good, bad or vinegar.  Second, unless you have been to SF before I can't think spending time shopping for wine would be high on my priority list.  But, if it is then take an UBER to the Walgreens 135 Powell Street and shop away.  The store is considered a "flagship" Walgreens with a huge selection of wines at a very reasonable price.  It's three floors of stuff with coffee bar and very good fresh made sushi.  It's a block from Union Square so not a bad place to walk around and do some sightseeing.  There's also a BevMo at 1301 Van Ness that will have a large selection of wines.  You might even be able to pre-order on line at BevMo and have it ready to pick up.  I have never done it but I heard it's possible.  

I'm a local so I can confirm that you can preorder at  Bevmo. I do it all the time of my local one in Walnut Creek. But Walgreens is right there on Union square? I'll have to look it up the next time Im over there