Canal curious , Coral Dreaming

tutuwahineLV

Hi All, 

We are contemplating doing the LA round trip on the Coral Princess next year.  It's only a partial, but indicates they overnight in the lake.  What they don't indicate is any excursions during the transit or overnight.  So, my question is this....what do they do ??  just anchor and hang out in the lake?  enjoy the quiet, and clear skies overnight??  It's not the deal breaker of our decision, but I'd  like to know what to expect.  

We've done the complete transit before, and loved it,  this itinerary looks very good to us as we can easily drive to the port, and there are several ports of call that would be new to us.  

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. 

Tutu

8 minutes ago, tutuwahineLV said:

Hi All, 

We are contemplating doing the LA round trip on the Coral Princess next year.  It's only a partial, but indicates they overnight in the lake.  What they don't indicate is any excursions during the transit or overnight.  So, my question is this....what do they do ??  just anchor and hang out in the lake?  enjoy the quiet, and clear skies overnight??  It's not the deal breaker of our decision, but I'd  like to know what to expect.  

We've done the complete transit before, and loved it,  this itinerary looks very good to us as we can easily drive to the port, and there are several ports of call that would be new to us.  

Tutu

When we have done the partial they have had some excursions offered where when you returned to the ship it was after it transited the locks and docked in Colon.

I remember reading about some of the partials where there were no excisions offered.

Not sure what would precipitate that.

We too have done the fulll transit 4 times and loved it.  We have the round trip L.A. booked for September, mainly because we want to see the new locks up close and personal.  However I am now hearing there are no excursions to the new locks on this itinerary and in fact, no excursions at all while overnight ing in Gatun Lake.  This might be a game changer for us, still considering.

1 hour ago, tutuwahineLV said:

Hi All, 

Tutu

If that's the 19 day r/t LA I know quite a few here on CC did that same cruise on the Island a couple of years ago.

We've done this trip twice, and both times did excursions.  Last time, a year or so ago, we toured the new locks.  The ship was anchored in Gatun Lake at the time.  The previous trip we anchored off Panama City and were offered several tours including a very nice one of the Mira Flores Locks Museum and another one that included a small boat ride through the locks.  Both cruses were incredible.

• Like 1

We did the r/t LA on the Island in 2017.  Yes-we did just anchor and stay overnight in the Lake.  Many guests used it as a perfect time to have a special meal on their balconies.   If you go, be glad you would be on the CORAL rather than the ISLAND-since the removed that aft lounge and added cabins, there definitely is a lack of public space.   Would gladly book that cruise again-hope they do the 19 day again in 2021.  I don't remember any excursions while anchored.

Edited by DormMom
Added last sentence
  • Like 1

Thank you DormMom....  we've almost decided it's a go.  I'm thinking that evening would be very relaxing...and maybe get a little stargazing in.   

We're doing a Cali coastal on the Ruby in March, that will be the tipping point for our decision.  We're new to Princess, but after our last trip on NCL....are looking for a new favorite. 

23 hours ago, Re-tired said:

We've done this trip twice, and both times did excursions.  Last time, a year or so ago, we toured the new locks.  The ship was anchored in Gatun Lake at the time.  The previous trip we anchored off Panama City and were offered several tours including a very nice one of the Mira Flores Locks Museum and another one that included a small boat ride through the locks.  Both cruses were incredible.

Curious which ship you were on when you did the 19 day round trip from L.A.?  Did you anchor off shore in Panama City as well as anchor in Gatun Lake?  Did you do the tour of the new locks while you were anchored in Gatun Lake?  Thanks for your responses.

Both of the round-trips were on the Island Princess.  On one trip we anchored in Gatun Lake.  That was when we toured the new locks.   On the previous trip we anchored off Panama City.  That is when we did the Mira Flores Locks  and museum tour.  On each of these trips it was a little bit hard to plan in advance as the canal schedule depended upon the actual schedule the Canal Authority imposed on the ship.  We just kept an eye on the schedule and worked with it.  Sometimes it seems that they send the ship northbound and then turn it around and send it southbound on the same day.  The last time they sent us northbound and we anchored overnight, going southbound the next day.  No matter what they do, I don't think you will be disappointed.

• Like 1