Denali land/ cruise question

propwash

We are booked on an Alaska cruise in July that includes a night in Anchorage and Fairbanks and the information we received when we booked was that the Westmark Hotels are used in both cities. HAL owns the Westmark Hotels in Alaska and that is the first choice they use, they do use others when the Westmarks are booked.

• 3 weeks later...

I called the other day as we will be arriving a day early (east coast travel) and was told the Westmark.  They wanted an outrageous price for transfer and room.  I booked for MUCH less  trough AAA.  We just did not want to change hotels or I would have booked something more familiar.

Barb

On our Itinerary we are booked in the Westmark Anchorage in June. Right now the Westmark is closed in Anchorage because of earthquake damage. They hope to get the clearance to be open by June.  Hopefilly HAL is keeping an eye on this. 

A yellow “restricted use” placard outside the hotel, posted by PDC Engineers and dated Dec. 5, says cracks in second-floor beams had grown since the original Nov. 30 quake. Only “essential” staff and contractors can enter.

“The hotel is closed,” other signs say.

Hickel said the Westmark is the tallest building he’s aware of that’s been yellow-tagged due to earthquake damage. Hickel said city inspectors will work quickly to review and permit the hotel as soon as the company submits paperwork.

On 1/16/2019 at 10:44 PM, propwash said:

Does anyone know which hotel you stay at when doing the Denali land cruise in Anchorage? Is it a Westmark Hotel like the in Fairbanks?

Thanks for the help.

Danny

HAL put us in the Hilton on our land tour.  There was also a Princess cruise in town, they were in the Westmark.

10 hours ago, CATandSQUID said:

On our Itinerary we are booked in the Westmark Anchorage in June. Right now the Westmark is closed in Anchorage because of earthquake damage. They hope to get the clearance to be open by June.  Hopefilly HAL is keeping an eye on this. 

A yellow “restricted use” placard outside the hotel, posted by PDC Engineers and dated Dec. 5, says cracks in second-floor beams had grown since the original Nov. 30 quake. Only “essential” staff and contractors can enter.

Hickel said the Westmark is the tallest building he’s aware of that’s been yellow-tagged due to earthquake damage. Hickel said city inspectors will work quickly to review and permit the hotel as soon as the company submits paperwork.

We are also booked for one night in Anchorage after we depart the Noordam in July and our confirmation from HAL shows that we are also in the Westmark. We shall wait and see what happens. I am sure HAL is on top of the situation since they own the Westmark chain in Alaska.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Thanks 1

On 2/8/2019 at 3:26 AM, terrydtx said:

We are also booked for one night in Anchorage after we depart the Noordam in July and our confirmation from HAL shows that we are also in the Westmark. We shall wait and see what happens. I am sure HAL is on top of the situation since they own the Westmark chain in Alaska.

Our TA contacted HAL and they are working on reassigning hotels.  The Westmark is the tallest hotel from the 1970's and has significant damage.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/7/2019 at 8:11 PM, CATandSQUID said:

I just called the Westmark and they have a target date for re-opening of April 29th.  He stated all room repairs/renovations that needed to be done have been done and they are just working on a few more things for the April 29th opening.  I told him I was concerned since I have a May 15 reservation and he assured me all will be completed and reopened.

Barb

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Terrydtx,  We are taking our 1st cruise on the Noordam in July also!   Still trying to figure alot of things out, the where, when, etc. of our land and sea cruise.  Thanks for any info!  I was wondering about the hotel in Anchorage....

9 hours ago, jan2019 said:

Terrydtx,  We are taking our 1st cruise on the Noordam in July also!   Still trying to figure alot of things out, the where, when, etc. of our land and sea cruise.  Thanks for any info!  I was wondering about the hotel in Anchorage....

What date are you departing on the Noordam, if it is July 21, you need to join our Roll call. The hotel we are staying at in Anchorage is the Westmark which is owned by HAL. 

3 hours ago, jan2019 said:

We are departing July 14 for the cruise, but doing land portion July 11.  I do not see a roll call for our trip. 

It sounds like  you are on the Noordam that leaves from Seward on July 14th to Vancouver. I checked and there is not a roll call started for that date, July 14th. For Alaska cruises with land the  Roll Call is set for the day the cruise portion begins. You should go to Roll Calls and start one for your July 14th cruise. I started ours that leaves Vancouver on the 21st when you get off. Do me a favor do not sink the Noordam before we get to board. :classic_rolleyes:. You will have a great cruise, enjoy.

• Like 1