Warning: Grand Suite 1032 (and others) on Majesty

mandream

We've now been back almost 2 weeks from our great cruise to Cuba on the Majesty of the Seas.  We had a wonderful time, the crew was great, and overall the ship was in remarkably good condition considering her age. 

We did have an issue however that I wanted to make people aware of.  Every night of the 5 night cruise we had a banging or "thud" sound from above.  It would begin sometime around 11 or 12 pm and usually stop by 2 am.  The bang or thud would happen every 30 - 40 seconds or so.  It was loud enough that it would either keep me awake, or wake me up from a sleep.   As you can imagine, we called guest services many times and they always said that they would look into it - but never resolved the issue.  After several nights of calling, they told us that "we were not the only ones complaining" - so I'm not sure how many of the other suites in the hall this affected - but it was certainly not limited to us.  We never got an answer to the source of the noise - sometimes we were told it was coming from the galley above, other people told us it was maintenance.  As much of a nuisance this was - it did not spoil the cruise for us.  We still enjoyed ourselves very much.

We never once asked for any compensation - only that they try and stop the noise.  However on the last day of the cruise we were told we (and others) would be compensated.  We were offered a relatively small amount of OBC, or a rather generous (more than fair in my opinion) FCC.  If we were regular Royal cruisers we would have been thrilled with the offer.  As it is, while we probably had not planned to do another Royal cruise (as good a time as we had, we prefer Celebrity and chose this cruise simply for Cuba) we almost certainly will as we can't ignore the discount.

I am posting this not only to give future cruisers a heads up, but am also interested in hearing from other starboard side GS passengers to see if this is or is no longer an issue.  If it was truly maintenance - perhaps the issue is gone.  If it was the galley - it could still be going on.

Mike

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Do you mind if I modify the title of your thread so people can see the subject is Majesty and not Mariner?

Of course - no problem.  I was just worried the title would be too long and didn't think about Mariner!!!

Mike

• Clarea changed the title to Warning: Grand Suite 1032 (and others) on Majesty

We were in 1038 on Majesty in October. I heard a sound that I think was the carts being rolled around in the Windjammer. It was annoying since it happened nearly every morning, very early. I didn't complain because we received a complimentary upgrade.

29 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

We have sailed on Majesty several times in GS and twice in 1032. I’m aware of the noise from above, from cleaning and carts in the WJ. However, having said this, it really wasn’t enough to affect our sleep or cruise. 

14 minutes ago, CruisinNole said:

We were in 1038 on Majesty in October. I heard a sound that I think was the carts being rolled around in the Windjammer. It was annoying since it happened nearly every morning, very early. I didn't complain because we received a complimentary upgrade.

Yes, we normally only book cabins that have other cabins above and below - but in this case we had no choice.

I'm really the only one in the family it affected (although I don't think of myself as a light sleeper).  My kids (6 and 8) were oblivious and my wife always sleeps with earplugs anyway because she says her husband snores....

Mike

• Like 2

Yep, this has been a complaint for a long time about cabins under the pool deck.  This is why I always try to book down one level so other cabins are above me.  Unfortunately, on ships like Majesty, you do not have this choice if you want to book a suite.  

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

Yep, this has been a complaint for a long time about cabins under the pool deck.  This is why I always try to book down one level so other cabins are above me.  Unfortunately, on ships like Majesty, you do not have this choice if you want to book a suite.  

On many older ships, especially Majesty, if you want a balcony or Suite, the top cabin deck is the only choice. 

2 hours ago, FamCruz2012 said:

So will this same problem affect cabin #8000 - 8001 on Vision of the Seas??

Not sure myself but looking at whats above, possible. Though you are all way front of WJ might not be bad. Have almost same issue Aft on Radiance Class staying on deck 10. On them you here set up at 630-7am as they clean/set-up the outdoor WJ tables. 

17 hours ago, mandream said:

We've now been back almost 2 weeks from our great cruise to Cuba on the Majesty of the Seas.  We had a wonderful time, the crew was great, and overall the ship was in remarkably good condition considering her age. 

We did have an issue however that I wanted to make people aware of.  Every night of the 5 night cruise we had a banging or "thud" sound from above.  It would begin sometime around 11 or 12 pm and usually stop by 2 am.  The bang or thud would happen every 30 - 40 seconds or so.  It was loud enough that it would either keep me awake, or wake me up from a sleep.   As you can imagine, we called guest services many times and they always said that they would look into it - but never resolved the issue.  After several nights of calling, they told us that "we were not the only ones complaining" - so I'm not sure how many of the other suites in the hall this affected - but it was certainly not limited to us.  We never got an answer to the source of the noise - sometimes we were told it was coming from the galley above, other people told us it was maintenance.  As much of a nuisance this was - it did not spoil the cruise for us.  We still enjoyed ourselves very much.

We never once asked for any compensation - only that they try and stop the noise.  However on the last day of the cruise we were told we (and others) would be compensated.  We were offered a relatively small amount of OBC, or a rather generous (more than fair in my opinion) FCC.  If we were regular Royal cruisers we would have been thrilled with the offer.  As it is, while we probably had not planned to do another Royal cruise (as good a time as we had, we prefer Celebrity and chose this cruise simply for Cuba) we almost certainly will as we can't ignore the discount.

I am posting this not only to give future cruisers a heads up, but am also interested in hearing from other starboard side GS passengers to see if this is or is no longer an issue.  If it was truly maintenance - perhaps the issue is gone.  If it was the galley - it could still be going on.

Mike

Glad it worked out for you.

If RCL actually provided compensation of any kind it tells me they knew of the problem, tried to fix it, and got no results.

7 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

Glad it worked out for you.

If RCL actually provided compensation of any kind it tells me they knew of the problem, tried to fix it, and got no results.

Cabins under the WJ and Pool are well know for noise from rolling carts or moving chairs/loungers. Some it bothers, some it doesn’t. 

4 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Cabins under the WJ and Pool are well know for noise from rolling carts or moving chairs/loungers. Some it bothers, some it doesn’t. 

I could be wrong, but don't believe it was a cart unless they were rolling around in circles for hours. The sound was too consistent for too long. 

Mike 

4 minutes ago, mandream said:

I could be wrong, but don't believe it was a cart unless they were rolling around in circles for hours. The sound was too consistent for too long. 

Mike 

We have had cruises in GS on Majesty, Serenade, Brilliance, and Freedom, that have Pool Deck or WJ above and have always had noises from above late evening and/or early morning. If noise is an issue, don’t book a deck without another cabin above you. Heck, on GS on deck 8 on Harmony, we heard people above making noise while showering. None enough to bother us. 

Given the description of the noise, the fact that it happened every night, and the timing of when it started and ended, it sounds more like provisioning/prep work being done in the WJ galley for the next morning's breakfast.

Edited by orville99
  • Thanks 1