On board now- Equinox charging $14 to upgrade Bev pkg

rjhelmes

I thought the price to upgrade was $10 plus grat to upgrade. We're in on board now, back in Miami in 2 days but noticed they charged us $14 plus gratuities to upgrade at the sunset bar instead of the $11.80. I spoke with a couple bar workers and they said $14 plus grat is the price to upgrade on the ship.

Brought what the website says to guest services attention and was told that 1) online is cheaper to book in advance (it's a sale prior to cruising), and/or 2)Celebrity corporate in Miami dictates price on the ships. 

I also brought to their attention the inconsistency that if you want to buy the classic pkg on the ship it's $55 but $59 online, they seemed confused by it all.

Guest services even let me log in to the celebrity website to show them the $59classic/$69premium price and my celebrity cruise planner to show the $10 plus grats price but they didn't budge. 

Needless to say if you're on Equinox you should book before sailing to avoid this. We've visited guest relations 4 times to speak with managers and they never get back to us with a resolution. It's very frustrating, we brought 4 others with us so they are feeling our frustration since I told them it would be $10 to upgrade on the cruise. Unfortunately we don't have the internet package so I can't get back to this thread until Miami but we feel that Celebrity has let us down on pricing variation from ship to online. Hopefully I'm not wrong on the pricing 🤔 

Screenshot_20190117-141312.png

Screenshot_20190117-141324.png

Screenshot_20190117-145518.png

Keep your statement from the end of the cruise and contact Captain's Club. See if you can get a refund. Keep all screenshots you have as proof. It was $14 about 2 months before they increase the classic package, bringing the spread down to $10 + gratuity to what you see today online.

ADVICE:  Ask guest services to allow you to call the captain's club in Miami....and do it while you are on the ship.  Once you get off, there is zero chance of getting it fixed.  The call to captain's club should be free. Get it resolved before you leave the ship.

I believe the key to this discrepancy is the price Celebrity is charging for the Classic package on board.  If Celebrity is charging the older lower price for the Classic Package, then it would cost $14 plus Gratuities for the upgrade.  If Celebrity was selling the Classic Package at the new higher price on board, then the price to upgrade would be $10 plus gratuity.

I am sure Celebrity is selling the Premium package at the higher rate.

Edited by jagoffee

I can understand some frustration, but to put things in perspective we're talking about a $28 difference for the week.  Sure, worth a trip to Guest Relations to see if you  can get it worked out and maybe a call to Captains Club when you return - but 4 trips to GR and a post on CC?

My advice - and I'm being sincere - is spend the rest of your time trying to enjoy your vacation and please don't let this ruin what I hope is an otherwise wonderful cruise.  Not worth it IMO.

Wish you the best of luck.

Mike

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mandream said:

I can understand some frustration, but to put things in perspective we're talking about a $28 difference for the week.  Sure, worth a trip to Guest Relations to see if you  can get it worked out and maybe a call to Captains Club when you return - but 4 trips to GR and a post on CC?

My advice - and I'm being sincere - is spend the rest of your time trying to enjoy your vacation and please don't let this ruin what I hope is an otherwise wonderful cruise.  Not worth it IMO.

Wish you the best of luck.

Mike

I thought the poster was saying it was saying it was$14 per person per day instead of $10 

I feel the OP's frustration, especially since there are other people involved.
But I agree with mandream, it stinks but there is no way I personally would spend so much time over a difference of $28. It's all part of traveling.

But we all pick our own battles.

To put this thread to bed we're off the ship and here's the conclusion. 

The post was to serve more as a warning to others that are being told on CC that the price will be the same to upgrade whether on the ship or before hand. It definitely didn't ruin our cruise, and the group of 6 still agreed that the upgrade was still worth it at $14 vs $10 per day to us, what got under our skin was it felt like a bait and switch. If you purchased classic for $59 online then was charged $14 to upgrade to premium you'd feel slighted too if you could've just purchased premium for $69 on the ship. If it was just the 2 of us we wouldn't even bother but for the 6 of us it was, the difference of $4 +grats more per day for 6 people for 7 days = $196 more for the week than the $10 upgrade price. 

In the end they tried to adjust it to the $10 price for us but messed that up too. They amended our upgrade price to $11.80 plus 18% gratuities so $97.48 per person for the 7 day premium upgrade. It should have been $10 plus 18% but at that point we weren't too worried about it.

The cruise was a 10 out of 10, our group of 6 had an amazing time.