Cruise Card Activation Kiasks

TomC21

Having never sailed MSC I have a question about the cruise card activation kiasks. Reading the onboard payment section on their web site, it says to activate your cruise card then a credit card tied to that card. It then says you will be asked to enter a PIN number. Is this PIN furnished to you at check in? Or are they asking for a PIN related to your credit card?

thanks

Tom

Are we talking the 3 digit CVV number on the back of the card. Or do you need to get an actual PIN number from your credit card company?

thanks again

Tom

Edited by TomC21

Most US credit cards are not Chip-and-PIN cards , they are Chip-and-Signature cards. You don’t need a credit card with PIN at the kiosk, just swipe your US credit card and the card is linked to your cruise card/account. My US credit card with Chip-and-Signature worked in Europe without problems in restaurants, hotels & shops. The only problem was at a small gas station in Italy, pay-at-the-pump required a PIN for the credit card.

Edited by SirWolf
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully a US based MSC cruiser will answer your question soon, but for us in Europe we normally use the CVV online and the 4 digit pin in shops.

There you go SirWolf answered while I was typing.

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Thanks 1

Was on the Divina last month out of Miami, did not have to use a 4 digit pin with my credit card.  You either insert with chip or slide if no chip and no pin is needed and you do not use the CVV number that is on the back of the card either.  I was worried about this also since I do not have pins with my credit cards.  Now if you use a debit card you would need your pin but I do not recommend using a debit card due to the hold that is put on it.

Edited by ready2cruzagain
  • Thanks 1

Also the people travelling with you can each use their own credit cards even if they are in the same cabin.

You will be asked do you want to link your card to other travellers in your party, if the answer is yes, you select each person who will be credited to your card. If no then the other person activates their own cruise card and enters their own CC details.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Just additional information, your cruise card is active from when you embark, you then have 48 hours to activate your credit card / link to your account. Lots of card activation terminals around so no need to rush as soon as you are on board.

My problem is that I never do it at embarkation, then forget to do it later that day and, of course, I put my purse (with credit card in it) into the safe as soon as we get into the cabin so never have it on me when I pass the machines.  I've often had my cruisecard refused when ordering a drink on the second evening as a result!  :classic_rolleyes: 

• Thanks 1