So, talk to me about Alaska...

5 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

So now you have to choose.... the ship, or actually seeing (and doing) more of Alaska?

I am considering being a solo Alaskan cruiser and was thinking of Ovation. The studio balcony cabin would be just right. A balcony is important to me and the studio balcony would be a way to afford it. But this thread is making me rethink that decision. Maybe I should not go to Alaska at all if I won't see enough to make it worthwhile. I couldn't afford an added land tour even if I were to take an inside passage cruise. Thoughts???

Does anybody know if Ovation's size limits her to the round trips out of Seattle?  I would love to go back and we loved Anthem.

We did Alaska NB out of Vancouver back in '17.  We chose HAL because of Glacier Bay.  The Noordam was a snoozer of a ship and their entertainment was way below what we are used to with RCI. Still the best cruise we have taken because the scenery was so spectacular.  Wish we had done Radiance. Glacier Bay was awesome but a buddy went to Hubbard on a Celebrity cruise and said it was magnificent too.  We will probably never do HAL again and would have loved to get our C&A points with RCI.

FWIW, we did a land tour after the cruise and did it through HAL. If I had to do it over I would either add an extra day (we did 3 nights) so that we spent 2 nights in Denali (our tour said we got 2 days in Denali but it was actually less than 24 hours) or I would just arrange the land portion on my own.  Felt like alot of our travel time were based on their convenience and not made for the best experience for us.

We've cruised to Alaska FOUR times and loved each trip. The views are spectacular - from sea life frolicking along the ship to soaring eagles, to the awesomeness of the glaciers, and the lush flowers and trees. 

Must do... walk on a glacier and look into a beautiful blue crevasse 

Take a helicopter ride to view the trees and mountains.

Listen to the naturalist who comes on board and can point out animals along the waterways or take a small boat along a river with a guide

Find out what "fresh salmon" tastes like

Chat with the locals, not the ones who fly in for the season - these folks work multiple jobs in the summer and have a true pioneer spirit throughout the rest of the year. 

Watch a lumberjack show - it's campy and fun!

1 hour ago, Bradison said:

We did Alaska NB out of Vancouver back in '17.  We chose HAL because of Glacier Bay.  The Noordam was a snoozer of a ship and their entertainment was way below what we are used to with RCI.

I completely agree with your viewpoint of HAL Noordam.  Also, their participation on the Cruise Critic roll call was minimal.  I've enjoyed participating and meeting people through Cruise Critic for Royal Caribbean sailings.  It was quite different on HAL.  

HAL did usually have the best dock in each port.  Also, they were very good with my transfer after the cruise.  I had my information in my cabin on Friday.  I took the train from Seward to Anchorage, spent one night in Anchorage and then transferred to the airport the next day.  

Enjoy your cruise!

Patti 

I hope this works, I haven’t been able to get photos to post from my iPad since the switch from the CC app. This photo was taken on one of the stops on an excursion. As someone else mentioned the excursions are pricey!

71553505-4AC3-4F03-87DD-9A1BAF0838E5.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kteacher said:

I hope this works, I haven’t been able to get photos to post from my iPad since the switch from the CC app. This photo was taken on one of the stops on an excursion. As someone else mentioned the excursions are pricey!

71553505-4AC3-4F03-87DD-9A1BAF0838E5.jpeg

The picture is magnificent.....as far as the pricey excursions....it just goes into the overall cost of the vacation.....over the long haul the inexpensive Carribbean excursions balance out the more expensive ones on this cruise.

14 hours ago, Bradison said:

Does anybody know if Ovation's size limits her to the round trips out of Seattle?

Not the Alaska ports, however she's too big to go through the BC inside passage, and barely gets under the Lion's Gate Bridge in Vancouver...., I can't wait to see that.

For those that want to have the very best of all worlds:

ship experience, as much Alaska as possible, and no flight to/from Anchorage...

you should seriously look at the May 13,2019 11-day sailing coming up in 4 months.... it's a one of a kind itinerary Vancouver to Seattle and includes BOTH Hubbard and Endicott.

• Like 1

Best Cruise ever. I've now been twice. The scenary is breathtaking. The weather was predicted as rain for 7 days and it hardly rained at all. Temp in 50s. In Ketchikan I did The Deadliest catch tour thru the ship. So much fun. There's so much to see and do. Although very expensive, we heard the tour where you take z helicopter to the glaciers and then take a dog sled is well worth it. Do NOT grab anybody off the dock for an seaplane ride. On our trip the seaplane hit a tree branch and came down. Everyone survived but I expect it was terrifying. 

Yes, excursions in Alaska are expensive, because they're in the US and have insurance and safety regulations to abide by.

Pay the rate, take a helicopter ride and land on a glacier to hike for a once-in-a-lifetime mind-blowing experience. Book independently, not through the cruise line. 

The visuals in Alaska are unlike anything anywhere. 

The geology and wildlife life lessons are not to be missed.

Ketchikan has the most authentic Alaskan art and artifacts. The Yukon steam train ride in Skagway is a journey to some other time and place. Juno is your friend for helicopter tours. 

if you can find a ship with a good spa, take it. Steam rooms and saunas perfectly complement Alaska, especially after a day exploring.

Layers are indeed your friend. Ear covering, a warm coat, fleece vests, gloves and boots will save you. 

Yes, 110% different than the palm trees of the Caribbean and a trip you will never stop talking about. We cruised Alaska in 2010 (early May, first sailing of the season) and STILL talk about it. A lot! 

Now one I want to go again!