Whale Watch Comparison in Hoonah

masterdrago

I'm looking over some of the excursions out of Hoonah/Icy Strait. There is a combo Whale, Wildlife and Bear Search with icystraitpoint dot com. Best I can tell, the whale watch portion in on a large catamaran, then a van for the bear search. Five+ hours total time. Can anyone confirm this and give me some gist of the whale watch portion of the experience. I'm interested in how their whale watch might compare to that of Glacier Wind Charters, Icy Strait Whale Adventures or Hoonah Whale Tours.

• 2 weeks later...

I know nothing on the topic really, but on a recent RCL cruise out of Puerto Rico, we dined one night with a couple and the woman was actually native Alaskan who grew up in Hoonah and knows the owners.  She said that regardless of what might be seen as a biased view, she was strongly endorsing Hoohan Whale Tours as the best of the bunch.  For what it worth....

We used Hoonah Whale Tours, it was an awesome trip, they are actually friends with the folks at Glacier Wind (who also get great reviews) and all keep in touch when whales are spotted.  I would not hesitate to go with them again.  WE actually had a whale dive right under our boat. and had seen multiple breaches...It was incredible.  

• Like 1

An interesting side note on Glacier Wind. Shawn has written a couple of books - "Night Vision" and one called "Icy Passage". I've only finished "Night Vision" and almost could not put it down. He writes like I think so it was rather engrossing. I've only just started his other book but have had to put it down due to a busy schedule lately. I have it on good authority that he has an outline for his third book. I can't wait to read it also. We are now booked for a whale watch with Glacier Winds. Hoping we get close to the big mammals!

In my opinion your combo tour is too short.   When I go on both, it  involves most of the day for my preferences.     I whale watch at every opportunity   I have gone whale watching, out of Hoonah 5 times in the past 2 seasons.    Every trip is different.   :)     

Bears -  I'm picky  and only go at peak times.   My particular trips have been 100% sightings out of Hoonah.     But with both of these touring options-   it is  way more-  "waiting"  than watching.  :)   

Budget Queen has "been-there-done-that" so follow her advice. She has been on this board since May 2000. We have booked all the whale watching (Glacier Wind and Harv & Marv's) and flight tours we can possibly fit in. You never know when something (engine trouble, weather, seas, etc.) will cancel one of these tours. Our 16 days in Alaska are totally packed. In fact Joy has mentioned several times about cramming in too much - ATV, jeep tours, flights, transit bus, small boat glacier or whale watch, van tours into the Yukon & small gauge train rides out. But no zip line, bear watching (there in May - thx BQ) or walks in the woods. Except for the tram ride and dinner at 7 Glaciers, Joy wants to spend time in the local eateries unique to Alaska. The only time we will spend in Anchorage is possibly eating at South Restaurant + Coffeehouse after checking out from airport. We've timed that perfectly to catch a good Bore Tide at either Beluga or Bird Point. I'll have to add that Joy was so supportive in getting all this planned, (spreadsheets and all). It's all done except for a few final payments. Feels really good. Now if I can just figure out this GoPro thingy!

• Like 1