Looking for some advice on Saint John, New Brunswick

Turtles06

15 hours ago, dcruisers said:

We will be cruising early June that includes St Johns and Halifax.  Can we use American money in those ports?

Usually but the exchange rate won't be favourable and you will likely receive Canadian currency as change.

On 4/30/2019 at 5:27 PM, dcruisers said:

We will be cruising early June that includes St Johns and Halifax.  Can we use American money in those ports?

Dear dcruisers,

On exchange of monies.

Doing it where you alredady have a banking/brokerage relationship may be best.

Fees on ships as well at banks etcc in the country you may be in are usually the TERM..HIGHWAY Robbery..

Compare, watch the Exchange Rates, use a Credit Card which charges youall none too.

Reseach has the advantage of time now for youall.

Plan, Plan a, and plan more..

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2019 at 10:13 AM, Turtles06 said:

Thanks very much --- you've confirmed my inclination that visiting Saint Martins would be best!

On the name, interestingly,  what I've read is that "Reversing Falls" confused people, who were expecting waterfalls, and so they began to be called Reversing Rapids, but I'm sure that anyone growing up locally and calling it the Falls would still call it that, and I'm happy to do so.  (No one who grew up in New York City, for example, will ever call Sixth Avenue "the Avenue of the Americas," the name to which Sixth Avenue was changed some time ago. :classic_smile:)

https://www.bayoffundy.com/articles/reversing-rapids-st-john/  ("The Reversing Rapids, formerly referred to as the Reversing Falls, are a series of whirlpools, waves and white water rapids ...")

And I guess to add to the confusion, the visitor center and others use the name Reversing Falls Rapids! :classic_biggrin:

http://reversingfallsrapids.ca/

Anyway, I really appreciate your help, thanks! 

You are correct in your guess that locals still refer to “the Falls”.  In fact the only time I hear the term “rapids” is from tourism promoters. Even though rapids is a more accurate term, old habits die hard.  We do love our “Falls” 😀