Looking for some advice on Saint John, New Brunswick

Turtles06

Definitely chose  Bar Harbor. Much more to do.

We have done the New England cruise twice and will be doing it again this year.

Of all of its ports, St. John seems to be the one with the least to do.

Although I’m sure that some will disagree, the Reversing Falls, ( a close taxi ride), are a disappointment and the farmers market is a waste of time.

We just returned from a Celebrity Summit cruise where we met a native of New Brunswick. He highly recommended that while in St John,  we hike the Irving Nature Trail.

He also recommended the Church Street Steakhouse for the best seafood chowder ever! It is a short walk from the pier. Warning....he said that it IS expensive!

Awesome info. You all sold us. We are going on the Summit in 2020 and going to Bar Harbor rather than Saint John. Sounds like you are an expert. Any other suggestions for the other ports or for the Summit. We are going Aqua Class. Thanks Trivia Addict!!

So just a quick question (ok not quick) about St. John's.  Will be there in the beginning of Sep on the Anthem with one other ship (Adventure) in the port from 5am to 5pm.  Trying to decide on the 5 hour RCCL tour which goes to the rapids and the sea caves or taking a guided tour we found on Trip Ad that is five hours long as well (Fundy Coast to Fundy Shore) that offers the same.  Any advice on either of the two tours would be great.  As another option thinking of renting a car for the day and just driving to the two locations and other places.  Wife is NOT an early riser so............

1 hour ago, JDorland said:

So just a quick question (ok not quick) about St. John's. 

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Just an FYI -- I assume from the tours you are inquiring about that you are going to be visiting Saint John, New Brunswick, and not St. John's, Newfoundland.   (Often confused by Americans, but two totally different places and important to get them straight, especially when you are doing any research on them.  :classic_smile: )

• Like 1

On 1/18/2019 at 10:31 PM, Ashland said:

We did an amazing private tour with a few members from our roll call using Dave's Taxi Tours...very highly recommend them.

Can also give you the tours we did in Halifax (just amazing ***) & Bar Harbor.

I would appreciate the names of the tours you did in Bar Harbor and Halifax please.

42 minutes ago, counsdr said:

I would appreciate the names of the tours you did in Bar Harbor and Halifax please.

Bar Harbor, we booked the Acadia National Park tour directly on their website.

Halifax, Halifax Titanic Historical Tour with Paul McNeil...this one was one of the best we've done to date.

Hope this helps....Enjoy !!

Following this post since we will be there in July and have not planned St John yet.  

I was there years ago and we walked to the rapids and a park but will not be doing that this time.

Cindy - I love your secret spot!  Do you have any clue where it is?

nannyny - love your Bar Harbor blog.  We are also a party of 10 are have been in touch with at your service taxi.  They sound great for what we are looking for.  Unfortunately Halifax Titanic tours with Paul is booked but we do have another option.  I especially love your family "falling out of your seats with laughter" and can't wait to do the same with mine.   I may have to apologize at some point also but it will be well worth it!

We always book excursions and tours far in advance and somehow didn't think we had to for New England.  We were wrong!

On 2/8/2019 at 9:45 PM, kscaf1 said:

Following this post since we will be there in July and have not planned St John yet.  

I was there years ago and we walked to the rapids and a park but will not be doing that this time.

Cindy - I love your secret spot!  Do you have any clue where it is?

nannyny - love your Bar Harbor blog.  We are also a party of 10 are have been in touch with at your service taxi.  They sound great for what we are looking for.  Unfortunately Halifax Titanic tours with Paul is booked but we do have another option.  I especially love your family "falling out of your seats with laughter" and can't wait to do the same with mine.   I may have to apologize at some point also but it will be well worth it!

We always book excursions and tours far in advance and somehow didn't think we had to for New England.  We were wrong!

Honestly, I have no idea. If I recall, it wasn’t too far from St. Martins. If you want to show my pictures to someone from the area they might know. Sorry...I should have paid better attention but that day was kind of a bust as far as the tour went.

6 hours ago, Cindy said:

Honestly, I have no idea. If I recall, it wasn’t too far from St. Martins. If you want to show my pictures to someone from the area they might know. Sorry...I should have paid better attention but that day was kind of a bust as far as the tour went.

If we do head to St Martins, I will take your pic with me.  Low tide is at 12:35 that day so we should be able to see similar on our way back.  

19 minutes ago, kscaf1 said:

If we do head to St Martins, I will take your pic with me.  Low tide is at 12:35 that day so we should be able to see similar on our way back.  

Hello, OP here.  If you figure out where it is, please come back here and tell us, as you'll be there before we will.   :classic_smile:

Enjoy your cruise!  

• 1 month later...
On 1/19/2019 at 12:23 PM, pamkev said:

Would love the names of the company you used for private tours I'm just beginning to research for our cruise although it's not till Aug 2020

We too would like the names of the private tour companies you used for Bar Harbor and Halifax.

Are close enough to the towns to walk around - Bar Harbor, St Johns and Halifax?

Also what was the weather like- we leave June 8.

TIA

Edited by dcruisers

6 minutes ago, dcruisers said:

Are close enough to the towns to walk around - Bar Harbor, St Johns and Halifax?

Also what was the weather like- we leave June 8.

TIA

Halifax you dock right in town

Saint John N.B. short walk to city centre

St  John's  NFLD  close to town

You may want to do some excursions out of  town though depending on your interests

• 2 weeks later...

I've been there and, honestly, Saint John is a snooze fest.  Check the tide tables before you commit to a tour because there is absolutely nothing to see if the timing does not work out for the day you are there.  We were somewhat lucky to arrive on a day that there was a street fair going on but this time we will be there on a weekday and I'm planning to just stay on board and relax.  And I'm not one to ever stay on board if there is anything at all to see.

On 4/9/2019 at 9:56 PM, Travelling2Some said:

I've been there and, honestly, Saint John is a snooze fest.  Check the tide tables before you commit to a tour because there is absolutely nothing to see if the timing does not work out for the day you are there.  We were somewhat lucky to arrive on a day that there was a street fair going on but this time we will be there on a weekday and I'm planning to just stay on board and relax.  And I'm not one to ever stay on board if there is anything at all to see.

Just travel outside of Saint John and there is plenty to see.

On 4/11/2019 at 2:28 PM, declansdad said:

Just travel outside of Saint John and there is plenty to see.

Recommendations please. We have visited St. John’s previously and would like suggestions of where to visit to out of town. FYI, we will have 3 older teens in our party.

3 hours ago, villauk said:

Recommendations please. We have visited St. John’s previously and would like suggestions of where to visit to out of town. FYI, we will have 3 older teens in our party.

Just to be clear, you are asking about Saint John, New Brunswick correct?

Do your teens enjoy sight-seeing/exploring?

22 hours ago, villauk said:

Yes and yes 😉.

St Martins offer some great options for sight-seeing and short hikes along the Fundy Trail

https://cheeseweb.eu/2016/07/6-great-reasons-to-visit-st-martins-new-brunswick/

If you head in the other direction you can take in the Town of Saint Andrews.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractions-g182147-Activities-Saint_Andrews_New_Brunswick.html

Or head north and visit the capital, Fredericton.

http://www.tourismfredericton.ca/en

That's just a few things that quickly come to mind.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, declansdad said:

St Martins offer some great options for sight-seeing and short hikes along the Fundy Trail

https://cheeseweb.eu/2016/07/6-great-reasons-to-visit-st-martins-new-brunswick/

If you head in the other direction you can take in the Town of Saint Andrews.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractions-g182147-Activities-Saint_Andrews_New_Brunswick.html

Or head north and visit the capital, Fredericton.

http://www.tourismfredericton.ca/en

That's just a few things that quickly come to mind.

Thank you for the links, I will take a look. Do you know if there is available public transport from near the pier in St. John or could you recommended any local tours to take us to any the above places?

1 hour ago, villauk said:

Thank you for the links, I will take a look. Do you know if there is available public transport from near the pier in St. John or could you recommended any local tours to take us to any the above places?

Sorry I don't live in Saint John so not much help on those questions. The pier is in uptown Saint John and should be near public transportation, not sure how good it is though.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2019 at 3:05 AM, Turtles06 said:

Thanks! The only way to contact him is via a web form, which I’ve submitted. I hope I hear back soon. Do you by any chance have an actual email address for him?

Phone number is somewhere on his home page - have used it.

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:41 AM, villauk said:

There is a Pink Bus (HOHO) in St. John which goes to many places of interest in the area.

And, just to add to the discussion, we would choose St. John over Bar Harbor any day.

• Thanks 1