M.S. Emelie ferry in Stockholm

F19810

I know that you can only pay for the ferry with a credit card.   My credit card is a chip and sign card, not a chip and pin.  Will I have a problem getting a ticket?  What do Americans do since most of our cc are not chip and pin? Thanks 

33 minutes ago, F19810 said:

I know that you can only pay for the ferry with a credit card.   My credit card is a chip and sign card, not a chip and pin.  Will I have a problem getting a ticket?  What do Americans do since most of our cc are not chip and pin? Thanks 

The only instances in which my chip/signature card was not accepted in Europe was in machines that required a pin (train tickets, gas stations, etc.). As long as you pay at a counter manned by an agent, you should be fine. We have used the ferries in Stockholm - paid with cc - no issues whatsoever.

Edited by dogs4fun

1 hour ago, F19810 said:

I know that you can only pay for the ferry with a credit card.   My credit card is a chip and sign card, not a chip and pin.  Will I have a problem getting a ticket?  What do Americans do since most of our cc are not chip and pin? Thanks.

I would suggest sending an e-mail too Ressel Rederi who are the operators of the ship
and the route. I think they are the only ones who will know for sure. I would also think that they
and the crew ship will help you if there is issues.

https://ressel.se/?lang=en#aboutus

Edited by Desdichado62

Chances are that you can call your card issuer or login to your account and set a pin.  I would be very surprised if that is not the case.  I have done that for all of my US bank issued cards (Visa, Mastercard and AMEX).  Never had any foreign issues using them with pin.

Edited by ropomo

2 hours ago, ropomo said:

Chances are that you can call your card issuer or login to your account and set a pin.  I would be very surprised if that is not the case.  I have done that for all of my US bank issued cards (Visa, Mastercard and AMEX).  Never had any foreign issues using them with pin.

If i do this, it is considered a cash advance.

4 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

The only instances in which my chip/signature card was not accepted in Europe was in machines that required a pin (train tickets, gas stations, etc.). As long as you pay at a counter manned by an agent, you should be fine. We have used the ferries in Stockholm - paid with cc - no issues whatsoever.

Did you use this private ferry?  I was told that you can only buy a ticket from a machine.  I know that if you use a counter manned by an agent, I shouldn't have a problem. I don't know if this ferry has that.

3 hours ago, Desdichado62 said:

I would suggest sending an e-mail too Ressel Rederi who are the operators of the ship
and the route. I think they are the only ones who will know for sure. I would also think that they
and the crew ship will help you if there is issues.

https://ressel.se/?lang=en#aboutus

I did as you suggested.  Thank you for the link.

Judy

• Like 1

F19810, here it is Saturday and I learned something as a result of your reply, thanks!  Your response seemed strange to me, thinking a chip card is a chip card, so I did a quick google and check of my accounts.  For the benefit of others reading this thinking their card can be used with chip/pin for purchases and not be a cash advance there are two types of cards.  Chip/signature and chip/pin or a combination of the two.  You need to verify with your issuer what type you have and if it can be used fee free for retail purchases.  Fortunately, all of my cards are the hybrid variety and can be used worry free for all transactions. 

1 hour ago, ropomo said:

F19810, here it is Saturday and I learned something as a result of your reply, thanks!  Your response seemed strange to me, thinking a chip card is a chip card, so I did a quick google and check of my accounts.  For the benefit of others reading this thinking their card can be used with chip/pin for purchases and not be a cash advance there are two types of cards.  Chip/signature and chip/pin or a combination of the two.  You need to verify with your issuer what type you have and if it can be used fee free for retail purchases.  Fortunately, all of my cards are the hybrid variety and can be used worry free for all transactions. 

And I learned something from you.  I didn't realize that there are combination cards.  I do believe that my cards are only chip and sign cards.  Which cc do you have that are a combination of both?  thanks

I have an Amex Platinum Delta SkyMiles and a Morgan Stanley MasterCard that are.  I think my BOA Visa is as well, but it will be Monday before I can confirm (I have used it internationally, but don't remember if they were Pin transactions).  The two I know for sure, I was able to do an online chat with them this afternoon to confirm.  By the way, with the Amex Delta Card, you get a lot of miles perks for basic spending and 10,000 bonus Medallion miles for every $25k you spend each year (ensures I maintain Medallion status regardless of air miles) and one free domestic companion ticket a year.  The companion ticket is well worth the annual fee (if you use it, but my MIL is in Houston and we fly there at least 3-4 times a year).  Also, the Amex and MasterCard have no foreign transaction fees (although Amex not as widely accepted as Visa/Mastercard).  The Amex card has flown us to Europe/South American nearly a dozen times on miles in the front of the plane over the past 10 years or so.  Living in Atlanta also makes Delta card a good choice for us.  Amex may have companion cards for other airlines, but I don't know.  If you do decide to pursue an Amex, PM me, I think there is a referral program that would get both of us some $ perks.