Non-Refundable Deposits

Willow35

17 minutes ago, SRF said:

On my policy, trip interruption pays for costs such as hotel if your trip is interrupted (flights missed or delayed, etc).  It is something like $200 or $250 per day.

Non-medical evacuation covers getting you home from some place, like being put off the ship.

Our policy reimbursed us several thousands when I landed in hospital overseas, and our trip was, yes, "interrupted" during the middle week.

(Only ~ $500 was for medical, for two physician visits to me while I was still at the hotel.  The hospital refused to take any payment, per their national policy.)

Instead of going where we had planned to go, we needed to stay where we were (which was a 5* hotel) for almost a week.  DH was there alone for a short time while I was in hospital.  When I got out, I wasn't able to travel yet, so we had to stay there for several more days.

(We seriously considered calling MedJetAssist, but ended up VERY glad that we did not, as we did get the final week of our 3-week trip.)  The "interruption" coverage included missed trains to "where we didn't go", plus new transportation to get to the location planned for the third week.   The biggest line item was for the hotel charges, including DH's food.

We also could have just "gone home" without using MedJetAssist.  And in that case, the "last minute" air tickets would have cost far more than the ones we had.  That is one of the reasons why the Trip INTERRUPTION coverage includes 150% of the "insured full cost of trip".  Interrupting a trip can cost far more than "just cancelling the trip".

I suspect you are confusing "delay" with "interruption" coverages, from the low figures you give.

(And our policies certainly cover more than what you posted, even for the "delay".)

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for responses everyone.  It was for a cruise in the US.  I did get notified that I could use that deposit money for a future cruise.  What they also failed to tell me, was that I only had 2 weeks to book a future cruise or lose the deposit.  I will be avoiding Princess in the future.  There are a lot of options for cruising out there these days! I believe this is very bad PR for Princess.

On 2/4/2019 at 2:57 PM, Willow35 said:

Thanks for responses everyone.  It was for a cruise in the US.  I did get notified that I could use that deposit money for a future cruise.  What they also failed to tell me, was that I only had 2 weeks to book a future cruise or lose the deposit.  I will be avoiding Princess in the future.  There are a lot of options for cruising out there these days! I believe this is very bad PR for Princess.

And I believe you are your own worst enemy. Princess is no different than any of the mainstream cruise lines - or for that matter hotels and airlines - most have both refundable and lower priced non-refundable rates. Treat this as a learning experience rather than blame shifting.