Bringing Wine on Board - Question

supercanadian

On 1/28/2019 at 10:53 AM, ShakyBeef said:

Where did you hear this?  I'm pretty sure you are incorrect.  The rules are clear.

From Carnival's Liquor and Beverage Policy:

Bringing Liquor and Beverages Onboard - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in glass or plastic bottles.

A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, energy drinks, juice, and milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board on embarkation day and must be in the guest's carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board with the following exception - At the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring one 750 ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne per person in their carry-on luggage. All liquor, beer, other forms of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages outside of this exception are strictly prohibited in both carry-on and checked luggage and such items will be confiscated and discarded and no compensation will be provided.

Guests sailing with us on back to back cruises are entitled to bring on board the same quantity as stated in this policy, per cruise. The additional quantities will be stored for safekeeping at the start of the first cruise and will be given to the guest as each following cruise begins.

thinking the same thing: I do not think you can bring boxed wine on board. Why would they allow that and limit other wines to 1 bottle each?

On 1/28/2019 at 11:18 AM, sunonfire said:

I took off the Carnival Cruise website.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2634

Go down to question twelve under FAQs

Can I bring on board a box of wine?

Answer. A1.5 liter box of wine is permitted for 2 adult guests.

That is what I took on my November cruise on the Miracle. My bag was searched for a totally different reason and they saw the box of wine. There was no issue with the wine. I did bring my link to the Carnival website just in case I needed to show it.

ok, that makes sense but the way you worded it sounds like the 3 or 5 liter boxes are allowed. One 1.5 liter is the same as allowing each adult one regular bottle.   

On 1/27/2019 at 1:01 PM, 3smithboys said:

If you bring wine, do you just ask your cabin steward for wine glasses? We are going back and forth between Cheers and not getting it. We are now thinking it may not be worth it and might just bring a couple of bottles of wine with us. We have a balcony and thought it might be nice...

On 1/27/2019 at 1:04 PM, tea4ular said:

There will be wine glasses in your cabin upon boarding and will be replenished with clean glasses when needed. And yes, sitting on your own balcony with a glass of wine is hard to beat.

As others mentioned, the in-cabin drinking vessels are water goblets not wine glasses.  Our steward on the Pride was unable to provide wine glasses, but we just took them back from MDR one evening to have the wine on the balcony.  Any bar should also be able to give you wine glasses too.  It doesn't make much of a difference vs. using the water goblet but is a little nicer.

I have seen many people taking drinks to the MDR in what looked like water goblets too.

Most of our wines are screw top and the only one we had an issue with was when we brought a bottle of Meade (great mixed with cider).  Mead is a wine made from honey, but what we had was actually white wine flavored with honey - either way it gave the screeners pause.  Our local peach wine with screw cap was no problem though.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BENHANDEL said:

Do water goblets dribble or something when used for other substances?

Why the fuss about terminology and the prohibition against using "water goblets" for wine? Especially on one's balcony?

As for my part, there's no fuss.  And no prohibition.  I'm just providing the facts for the edification of my fellow cruisers.  Drink out of whatever you want. 

However, the information I have provided might be useful to those that fill their cabin water goblets with their carry-on wine and stroll into the MDR with it.  Those water goblets are very recognizable as such and although it is not likely that one would ever be called out for it, not only is it tacky (yes, that's my opinion and I stand by it), it advertises that one is breaking Carnival's rule about only consuming one's wine in one's own cabin.  If this is done, as I suspect it usually is, out of simple ignorance, I might be of assistance here.  If this is done out of "I don't give a damn"-ness, then I can easily be ignored here just as one ignores the difference between wine glasses and water goblets while onboard.

And FWIW, the smell and taste of various wines are very much affected by the features of the glass from which they are imbibed.

:classic_wink:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I think I get this but have a question, in the MDR, is Bud Light in champagne flutes frowned upon?  :classic_biggrin:

Well, see, now that's not tacky.  That's classin' the joint up a bit, so totally acceptable.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, BENHANDEL said:

Why the fuss about terminology and the prohibition against using "water goblets" for wine? Especially on one's balcony?

Red solo cup works too 😂 kidding kidding 

• Haha 1

Well I’d you all need them I will have some red solo cups on my cruise I will share.  Nothing but the best for me. Ok ok it’s The Walmart brand and I went in my pajamas to get them but hey I will share them with you all 

• Haha 1

I was on the Miracle twice last year. We were in a balcony cabin - not a suite. We had 2 water goblets and 2 wine glasses when we embarked. I always returned the used wine glasses to our cabin. The room steward  took the dirty wine glasses and replaced with clean wine glasses. Yes I occasionally brought the wine glasses to the MDR but I always returned them to the cabin.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, BENHANDEL said:

@ShakyBeef expressed my thoughts better than I probably will, but no the goblets don't dribble and there is no prohibition.

The "fuss" is merely to educate for those who would like to know.  I used to attend Renaissance Faires and am just as comfortable drinking wine from a wooden vessel as a proper wine glass.  I like the way the wine glass feels rather than the water goblet - I doubt my inexpensive sweet local wine tastes much different based on the glass but some dry wines do make a difference.

It's not hard to get wine glasses if you want them, but it is fine to use whatever you have on hand, especially in your cabin or on your balcony.  Heck, you could just swig from the bottle if you don't want to dirty a glass 😉 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I see in the Q&A section that you can bring wine coolers as long as they don't exceed the limit, is that the limit of 1 per person or 750ml? I want to bring single serve bottles of wine, the 4 pack totals 748ml. Has anyone had success bringing on the tiny bottles of wine? 

Edited by sdchickie

Is this the section you are referring to:

Q. Can I bring on board a box of wine or wine coolers?
A.  A 1.5 liter box of wine is permitted as long as it is brought on board between two adult guests in the same staterroom. Wine Coolers are permitted as long as the label reads 'Wine' and they do not exceed the limit.

I think the label stating "wine" might cause you issues.  Back when I drank them most wine coolers are actually malt beverages, and if the bottle states that anywhere you probably will not be allowed to bring it onboard since beer (another malt beverage) is prohibited.

Moscato is a sweet wine that might be agreeable for you that typically comes with a screw cap so you could easily just pour what you want and recap if you don't want to risk the coolers.

25 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

Is this the section you are referring to:

Q. Can I bring on board a box of wine or wine coolers?
A.  A 1.5 liter box of wine is permitted as long as it is brought on board between two adult guests in the same staterroom. Wine Coolers are permitted as long as the label reads 'Wine' and they do not exceed the limit.

I think the label stating "wine" might cause you issues.  Back when I drank them most wine coolers are actually malt beverages, and if the bottle states that anywhere you probably will not be allowed to bring it onboard since beer (another malt beverage) is prohibited.

Moscato is a sweet wine that might be agreeable for you that typically comes with a screw cap so you could easily just pour what you want and recap if you don't want to risk the coolers.

It seems as though sdchickie is referring to these:

image.png.4f5ba26edaea8ec37a8cf1e6170ade3a.png

...which are definitely wine, just in smaller, single-serving size bottles.  Unlike the Bartles and Jaymes flavoured beer "wine coolers" of my misspent youth.   These would be allowed, as long as the total volume does not exceed 750ml, which it apparently does not (748ml).

On 2/1/2019 at 2:32 PM, sdchickie said:

So I see in the Q&A section that you can bring wine coolers as long as they don't exceed the limit, is that the limit of 1 per person or 750ml? I want to bring single serve bottles of wine, the 4 pack totals 748ml. Has anyone had success bringing on the tiny bottles of wine? 

Edited by ShakyBeef
"my" misspent youth, not "our" - maybe yours was well-spent
  • Thanks 1

(Thanks for the edit ShakyBeef, although parts of my youth were misspent - probably some of my middle age too with as much time as I spend on these boards 😉 )

I never noticed the mini wine bottles before since we usually buy from local wineries and always get full size bottles at the store.  Those do look like they should work, but I would be certain to take a print-out of the Q&A that says it's allowed.

2 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

(Thanks for the edit ShakyBeef, although parts of my youth were misspent - probably some of my middle age too with as much time as I spend on these boards 😉 )

I never noticed the mini wine bottles before since we usually buy from local wineries and always get full size bottles at the store.  Those do look like they should work, but I would be certain to take a print-out of the Q&A that says it's allowed.

I definitely would do that, too.  One never knows how well-informed the check-in security agent one gets will be.

Yes, the small wine bottles are the ones I'm talking about. I like to use sparkling wine to make mimosas and it goes flat after several hours of being opened so I was hoping to have several small bottles. I will print out the Q&A part from their website, thanks for the suggestion. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sdchickie said:

Yes, the small wine bottles are the ones I'm talking about. I like to use sparkling wine to make mimosas and it goes flat after several hours of being opened so I was hoping to have several small bottles. I will print out the Q&A part from their website, thanks for the suggestion. 

I'd love to bring those for the twist off cap!