Hong Kong - Hotel and One Day, Maybe Half a Day, Tour Question

js

Hi.

My dd and her bf will be in Hong Kong from a Bali layover.

They land in Hong Kong at 11:35 pm and their fight out back to the States is the next day at 6:15 pm.

Is there a safe hotel by the airport for them that evening? If so, can you please recommend a couple and if not, where do they need to go.

Also, what time should they realistically think on being at the airport the next day? 2:00 pm? Earlier? Later?

Would they have time for a half day, early morning tour or is there something they can do on their own?
Also, what would they need to do with their luggage? Keep at hotel and pick up I'm thinking would be the best option.

She is researching on her own too but I told her I would come here and ask since I always find the best advice for tours and hotels on cruisecritic 🙂

That is also how I found tours for limoforaday in Rome, which was perfect!

Anyway, any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

Regal Airport Hotel is connected to the HKIA.  Touring options for next day: Cheaper option: take the airport bus A21 to Kowloon via the main stretch of town-Nathan Road and do some sightseeing on their own. Get off at the stop in Tsim Sha Tsui, stop #15, I believe, (Middle Road, near Holiday Inn Golden Mile/Chung Ching Mansion), walk over to the Salisbury Road area to Star Ferry. May take Star Ferry across Victoria Harbor to Central. On the way back do the same, backward or take the Airport Express from Hong Kong station back to Airport. If time is a concern, take Airport Express both ways between Airport and HK Station. Cost a little bit more.

I like to check in at least three hours before flight out.

search bus routes in HK: https://mobile.nwstbus.com.hk/nwp3/?f=0&l=1

HK Airport Express: http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/services/airport_express_index_tourist.html

Edited by ROCruiser
missing info

41 minutes ago, ROCruiser said:

Regal Airport Hotel is connected to the HKIA.  Touring options for next day: Cheaper option: take the airport bus A21 to Kowloon via the main stretch of town-Nathan Road and do some sightseeing on their own. Get off at the stop in Tsim Sha Tsui, stop #15, I believe, (Middle Road, near Holiday Inn Golden Mile/Chung Ching Mansion), walk over to the Salisbury Road area to Star Ferry. May take Star Ferry across Victoria Harbor to Central. On the way back do the same, backward or take the Airport Express from Hong Kong station back to Airport. If time is a concern, take Airport Express both ways between Airport and HK Station. Cost a little bit more.

I like to check in at least three hours before flight out.

search bus routes in HK: https://mobile.nwstbus.com.hk/nwp3/?f=0&l=1

HK Airport Express: http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/services/airport_express_index_tourist.html

Thank you SO much for taking the time for such a detailed response. I just sent this to my dd.

I appreciate the detailed information and I know she will too.  Do you know the hotel? Would you stay there for one night?

When I sent this information, she told me after reading she would take the Airport Express both ways not to have to worry too much about the time. 

Thank you again and if anyone please has anything in addition to offer, we would be very grateful.

1 hour ago, js said:

Thank you SO much for taking the time for such a detailed response. I just sent this to my dd.

I appreciate the detailed information and I know she will too.  Do you know the hotel? Would you stay there for one night?

When I sent this information, she told me after reading she would take the Airport Express both ways not to have to worry too much about the time. 

Thank you again and if anyone please has anything in addition to offer, we would be very grateful.

We have stayed at the Regal Airport Hotel once a few years back because of an early flight. Decent hotel, very convenient with direct access to the airport. 

Ditto on check-in 3 hours.  In addition to airport security HK does formal departure immigration.

If DD is heading to the US, they will do secondary screening at the gate and are very strict about the 3oz rule.  We got some unopened canned herbal tea to drink on the plane: dump it or drink it all 😠  The 4-5 kids in line behind us all had bubble tea drinks...we could heard them crying from inside the plane 😥       

Edited by Philob

One thing to consider, as you mentioned she is on a "layover" - if she checks her bags at the initial check in and this is all one ticket, she will not have access to her bags in Hong Kong at they will be checked through. If this is separate tickets for these legs she will have access to her bags in Hong Kong.

Just mentioning it in case she needs to bring a small carry on with things she'll need to overnight in the hotel.