Seward-Anchorage-Denali post cruise

amisup

We are a large group of 10 people and on a 7 days Alaska cruise from Vancouver to Seward. We really want to do the Denali portion of the tour.  We have no preference on the return flight destination whether its Anchorage or Fairbanks.  Instead of taking the land tour combo that NCL offers, I am looking to put my own plan together.

Here are my needs

- sight see in Seward

- sight see in Anchorage 

- ride the train into Denali.

- spend a day in Denali

- head back to Anchorage and fly out  or continue up to Fairbanks

- site see in Fairbanks and fly out.

My main concern is transportation. Seems like most tour companies offer portions of what I need. Is there a tour company that will cover all of this?

Anyone else who has done something similar , please advise.

do I need car inside of Denali ? are there park buses or is one better off cooking with a tour company to explore Denali inside?

how is the drive from Anchorage to Denali, are the roads like any east coast interstate?

is Seward to Anchorage more scenic than Denali to Talkeetna better? 

also does anyone know who NCL uses for their land tours?

The most scenic train ride is Seward to Anchorage. I would take the train to Anchorage, then rent your vehicles in Anchorage and drive to Denali  (the roads do have some construction but are paved and easy to drive on we drove it this last summer easy peasy.) you need 2 nights Denali so you can spend all day in the park. to go into the park you will have to take either a Tour bus or the transit shuttle both can be booked on reservedenali.com,   I would book either Tundra Tour (narrated, drop down screens to zoom on wildlife, and a snack box lunch it is more expensive) or you can do one of the more economical Transit Shuttle which goes further into the park but no food (so bring you will need to bring a lunch and drinks) nor does it have drop down screens.  I have done both and would not hesitate to do either again.  I am taking the Eielson Shuttle bus again this coming summer.

If you want to go to Fairbanks, drive from Denali to Fairbanks it is only 2 or 3 hours away from Denali.  Or you can go back and return the car in Anchorage and leave from there.  It is usually cheaper to return the car to the location you picked it up. hope this helps some 🙂

Edited by NEWLKAT

We are planning a do it our self land tour in Alaska for 2020.  Neither of us want to drive but want to visit Denali and Seward.

I found good transportation options on this site:

https://www.alaskacoach.com/about/park-connection.html

This will be our 4th cruise to Alaska.  First 2 cruises included the land tours offered by Celebrity.  Last time we concentrated on Seward.  Next cruise we want to go back to Denali and spend time in Seward again before the cruise.  With Celebrity we saw a lot in Fairbanks, Talkeetna and Anchorage so will just be overnighting in either Anchorage or Fairbanks, depending on our flight.

15 hours ago, amisup said:

do I need car inside of Denali ? are there park buses or is one better off cooking with a tour company to explore Denali inside?

You won't need a car in Denali National Park. The road is only open to their buses past mile 15. But have a rental car to get to Denali National Park is the better way to get there. That way you have a lot more options in lodging and dining. The train tracks parallel the highway so the views are the same. Here's the details on the shuttle into the park: https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

how is the drive from Anchorage to Denali, are the roads like any east coast interstate?

The Glenn Highway from Anchorage the start of the Parks Highway is a 4 lane (two in each direction) divided highway. The Parks Highway starts just south of Wasilla and is a 2 lane (one lane each direction) paved highway with the occasional passing lane. So the first hour of driving is like any interstate. After that it's like any highway. But, summer is construction season so you'll encounter delays there.

15 hours ago, amisup said:

is Seward to Anchorage more scenic than Denali to Talkeetna better?

The train ride between Anchorage and Seward is very scenic and the train tracks take a different route through the mountains for a different view.

I've made some comments above in red.

Can you please help me to see if this planning is appropriate?

Day 1 (Arriving Seward): Explore Seward, take train to Anchorage, Stay overnight in Anchorage.

[Question] Is the only train from Seward to Anchorage departs at 6pm-ish?

Day 2: Get rental car, drive from Anchorage to Denali. With a few stops, 8 hour-ish? Stay overnight in Denali.

Day 3: Explore Denali. Stay overnight in Denali.

Day 4: Drive back to Anchorage. Take 3pm-ish flight home.

Is this too rush? appropriate?

Drive from Anchorage to Denali is about 6 hours without stops. There may be construction so I wouldn't plan flying out of Anchorage same day as driving from Denali.  Plan 2 nights in Denali to take shuttle into park one day.

I would start getting rental car and hotels soon. Availability for hotels were limited last month when I was looking in Denali and even seward. I booked hotel in healy.

On 1/25/2019 at 3:24 PM, mkkao924 said:

Can you please help me to see if this planning is appropriate?

Day 1 (Arriving Seward): Explore Seward, take train to Anchorage, Stay overnight in Anchorage.

[Question] Is the only train from Seward to Anchorage departs at 6pm-ish?

Day 2: Get rental car, drive from Anchorage to Denali. With a few stops, 8 hour-ish? Stay overnight in Denali.

Day 3: Explore Denali. Stay overnight in Denali.

Day 4: Drive back to Anchorage. Take 3pm-ish flight home.

Is this too rush? appropriate?

To adequately "do" Denali National Park you do need two nights so one day can be spent to enter into the park as far as Eielson Visitor's Center.  And I would not suggest driving from DNP to Anchorage on the same day to catch a 3 PM-ish flight.  With work schedules vacation time can be limited, and if you are limited to that number of days there are actually good options on the Kenai Peninsula such that you can create an interesting and satisfying trip.  

17 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

To adequately "do" Denali National Park you do need two nights so one day can be spent to enter into the park as far as Eielson Visitor's Center.  And I would not suggest driving from DNP to Anchorage on the same day to catch a 3 PM-ish flight.  With work schedules vacation time can be limited, and if you are limited to that number of days there are actually good options on the Kenai Peninsula such that you can create an interesting and satisfying trip.  

Thank you!

Indeed, the work schedule is the one thing that makes our time so tight. I am sure that Kenai Peninsula can be very interesting. In terms of making this "the only/last time visiting Alaska", will you recommend Denali or Kenai?

I will also check with HAL to see if they have earlier train available so we can skip Seward local tour and arrive Denali the first night.

7 hours ago, mkkao924 said:

Thank you!

Indeed, the work schedule is the one thing that makes our time so tight. I am sure that Kenai Peninsula can be very interesting. In terms of making this "the only/last time visiting Alaska", will you recommend Denali or Kenai?

I will also check with HAL to see if they have earlier train available so we can skip Seward local tour and arrive Denali the first night.

I am not sure I would recommend Denali over the Kenai or vice-versa.  Really depends on your own interests.  But the point I was trying to make is that a "must see and do" is only a "must see and do" if YOU want to see it.  Many folks have wonderful DIY land experiences without visiting Denali.  But if you opt for Denali my opinion is that you cheat yourself if you don't go into the park as far as Eielson Visitor's Center.

Most, if not all, cruise lines will offer a cruise chartered Alaska Railroad early morning run for their disembarking passengers.  I will be shocked if HAL doesn't.  It will leave very early (around 7 AM-ish) for the four hour run, and most likely will end not at the Alaska Railroad terminal but at the Anchorage International Airport.  Passengers on this special charter will board at the Seward cruise terminal (envision a warehouse), not at the Seward ARR terminal.  

Also, there are several private motor coach companies who pick up from the Seward cruise terminal on the morning of ship embarkations.  Some of these coach transfers include a stop at the Wildlife Conservation Center on their trip north to Anchorage.  With no stops the drive from Seward to Anchorage will take 2 to 2.5 hours.  Just use the CC search function for names and recommendations.

Both train and motor coach options would get you into Anchorage noon-ish.   

32 minutes ago, mkkao924 said:

Actually, I think the charted train will suit us even better. If we are to stop at airport, we can rent a car right next door and be on our way and stay one more night in Denali...

This is  challenging day.    The cruise contracted train won't get in until about 11am   with you leaving Seward  by 7am,   so very early start.    You then need to allow 6 hours for the drive,  plus extra time to pick up the car,  snack stop  etc.     Not the best plan  due to your only priority is going to be getting there, so,  likely no taking advantage of the multiple stops etc.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2019 at 1:43 PM, AKStafford said:

I've made some comments above in red.

Thank you for those details.

i think we will take the railroad from Seward to Anchorage and skip the railroad do Denali, instead drive to Denali. 

On 1/28/2019 at 8:19 PM, mkkao924 said:

Actually, I think the charted train will suit us even better. If we are to stop at airport, we can rent a car right next door and be on our way and stay one more night in Denali...

You mention" if we are to stop at the airport". Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the train stops at the airport. If not you would need to take a taxi from Anchorage train station to airport to get rental or possibly get a rental car in downtown Anchorage.

6 hours ago, diesel1973 said:

You mention" if we are to stop at the airport". Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the train stops at the airport. If not you would need to take a taxi from Anchorage train station to airport to get rental or possibly get a rental car in downtown Anchorage.

In the early 2000s the late Senator Ted Stevens obtained funding for a spur rail line to the Anchorage airport.  Unless something has changed recently the special cruise contracted trains have used that spur line.

I believe the spur line and airport terminal was built but has not been utilized yet. When my nephew took me to airport last year I commented on the train station and he said it is not in service yet. I checked the Alaska RR site and there is no mention of that stop but who knows. It would be wise to call ARR to confirm if it is available if you have it in your travel plans.

On 2/7/2019 at 4:27 AM, diesel1973 said:

I believe the spur line and airport terminal was built but has not been utilized yet. When my nephew took me to airport last year I commented on the train station and he said it is not in service yet. I checked the Alaska RR site and there is no mention of that stop but who knows. It would be wise to call ARR to confirm if it is available if you have it in your travel plans.

We subscribe to the Anchorage Daily News electronic edition.  So I did a search in their archives and found an article titled "Anchorage Airport Train Depot Echoes Silence" and dated March 2, 2010.  Didn't want to attach for me but folks can do a search and likely find it.  The article explores the issue as to whether the airport train depot was worth the expenditure, and states that the airport train depot opened in 2003.  At one point it had been envisioned to serve future commuter service into the valley.  According to the article, in 2009 it served 20,000 rail passengers.  That winter the ARR corporation made the decision to mothball it during the winter (apparently it had been available to special events such as weddings).  

We were on a B2B Seward to Vancouver to Seward in 2017.  Even though we live in Alaska we take Alaska cruises periodically, and fellow passengers almost always find it amusing that we live in Alaska.  On the southbound trip we heard about what they had done in Alaska, and on the northbound trip we had question after question about what to expect.  Celebrity did a cruise contracted rail run on both embarkation and disembarkation days, and particularly on the northbound cruise I spoke to a  number of folks who were taking the train from Seward to Anchorage.  My  memory is that it was going to the Anchorage airport.  On disembarkation day the railroad cars were parked not at the Seward depot, but on the tracks beside the Seward cruise terminal.  We didn't take the rail trip as we had driven down from Fairbanks and left the vehicle in Seward long term parking.

Through the years there have been a number of questions on Cruise Critic from folks who arrive in Alaska several days early for a DIY land trip, have bought the rail transfer from their respective cruise line, look at the ARR website and realize that the times of the rail transfer doesn't match the summer schedule on the ARR website.  They are also told to report to the airport, not the ARR depot.  The cruise contracted special runs don't appear on the ARR website as tickets are sold by the cruise lines to their passengers  only.  We didn't do an Alaska cruise in 2018, but I think that in 2017 at least Celebrity was chartering (and selling) special ARR runs.

Very interesting. So it sounds like it is in operation but on a limited basis. Next time I talk to my nephew I will pick his brain as he lives in Eagle River. On a side note it seems like the public transportation system in Anchorage is unreliable. Last summer wanted to take bus from Eagle river to downtown Anchorage. Went online and checked schedule and stops. Waited at designated stop for 1/2 hour and no bus! Inquired at nearby business if bus stopped there and she said "haven't seen a bus stop there in a couple years", Go figure!