Greek Islands Cruising ...recommendations please :)

LHC1962

There is one "small ship" in the Princess fleet, the Pacific Princess, and she is pure delight. Only 670 passengers, and the ship itself is lovely, and we've always found the service to be excellent. I've done several cruises on her and will be doing 2 more this year. If OP can find an itinerary on this little gem that includes some Greek islands, I think they'd find it a very pleasant experience. Pricing is mainline, not luxury, so it's pretty affordable, IMO.

2 hours ago, flamomo said:

There is one "small ship" in the Princess fleet, the Pacific Princess, and she is pure delight. Only 670 passengers, and the ship itself is lovely, and we've always found the service to be excellent. I've done several cruises on her and will be doing 2 more this year. If OP can find an itinerary on this little gem that includes some Greek islands, I think they'd find it a very pleasant experience. Pricing is mainline, not luxury, so it's pretty affordable, IMO.

While Pacific Princess is a lovely small ship, other factors need consideration. While her 670 passengers is a manageable group, when she stops at Santorini on Nov. 6, for example, MSC Magnifica (3223 passengers) and Norwegian Star (2348 passengers) will also be there. Broad research can help avoid disappointment.

There is nothing like  having your host on a small boat grilling fresh fish on the grill that hangs over the side of the boat.  Or pulling into a small inlet and swimming offthe boat.  This, and island hopping on your own, at your own speed will give you a completely different perspective on Greece and on Turkey.

Not the same as pulling into an island with two or three other large cruise sips in port.  It is a very different perspective.

We very much like cruising and have done the Eastern Med several times.  It simply comes down to your travel preferences, how you pack, and any physical limitations that one may have.

3 hours ago, iancal said:

There is nothing like  having your host on a small boat grilling fresh fish on the grill that hangs over the side of the boat.  Or pulling into a small inlet and swimming offthe boat.  This, and island hopping on your own, at your own speed will give you a completely different perspective on Greece and on Turkey.

Not the same as pulling into an island with two or three other large cruise sips in port.  It is a very different perspective.

We very much like cruising and have done the Eastern Med several times.  It simply comes down to your travel preferences, how you pack, and any physical limitations that one may have.

Years ago we almost did a sailing tour of the Greek islands.  Individual sail boats, with or without crew.  Each morning, they would point to another island and say, sail THERE.  Everyone would sail over, have lunch then tour.  On the lead boat, there was a Greek national to help with any issues, and an archaeologist specializing the Greek islands to lead tours each afternoon.

It was sponsored by Sail Magazine.

I would still love to do this.

Windstar and Star Clippers are two small ship lines that have Greek island itineraries. These are ships with capacities between 140 and 310 passengers. They are usually between the mainstream and the luxury lines in price.

I've cruised on Windstar. I love being on a smaller ship - no crowds ever; great food. When we cruised in the Med, there was a local fresh fish on the menu each night. The chef also brought on local cheeses and there were local wines. I haven't tried Star Clippers yet, but have a cruise on them booked for April.