Beach-Reservations? Crowded day?

Gatordad815

Hi all! We will be in Costa Maya on April 5. There will be 3 ships in port that day, with a port load of almost 11,000 cruisers (according to cruise time tables website). We are a family of 4 with 2 small kids (3 & 5) and are looking for a nice place to spend the day at the beach not far from the port. Based on my research, I’ve narrowed it down to Yaya Beach, Tropicante or Blue Kay.

My questions:

1) Is 3 ships a “busy” day for Costa Maya or is that a normal day? 

2) Would we need reservations or should we just show up that day?

3) Between those 3 options, which would you recommend for a family with small kids?

4) Are there other options nearby that I’m not aware of that are recommended?

Any input appreciated-thank you!

1) 3 ships has been the max for the pier, albeit they are expanding to accommodate 6 ships. So yes crowded.

2) best to have reservations  to ensure you get the club you want.

3) Blue Kay would be a bit better than Tropicante for families, IMO.  Further from the crowds a little clearer in the water.

That said, absolutely nothing wrong with Tropicante.  Good service, good food. 

Yayas used to be a bit more "party" atmosphere, but haven't been there in a while, so maybe others can opine. Dr Dive next door has good offshore snorkeling and diving excursions, but I don't think you're looking for that at present. 

4) Outside of the AIs South of the male on these are good choices.

Enjoy your day there.

3 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

1) 3 ships has been the max for the pier, albeit they are expanding to accommodate 6 ships. So yes crowded.

2) best to have reservations  to ensure you get the club you want.

3) Blue Kay would be a bit better than Tropicante for families, IMO.  Further from the crowds a little clearer in the water.

That said, absolutely nothing wrong with Tropicante.  Good service, good food. 

Yayas used to be a bit more "party" atmosphere, but haven't been there in a while, so maybe others can opine. Dr Dive next door has good offshore snorkeling and diving excursions, but I don't think you're looking for that at present. 

4) Outside of the AIs South of the male on these are good choices.

Enjoy your day there.

Thank you for your input-much appreciated!

1 hour ago, Stmar said:

Where can you find how many ships in port at the same time?

The sea scan site is also a good indicator but none of the sites are 100% accurate as they can be printed a long time ahead, best to compare several.

TThank you so much for this great port info website.  I’m just starting research for a Jan 2020 cruise (Oceania Marina). We will be one of three in Costa Maya, our first time there, but one of 5 the next day in Cozumel!  Will have to plan carefully.

54 minutes ago, catsngoats said:

TThank you so much for this great port info website.  I’m just starting research for a Jan 2020 cruise (Oceania Marina). We will be one of three in Costa Maya, our first time there, but one of 5 the next day in Cozumel!  Will have to plan carefully.

Cozumel regularly has 5 ships, sometimes 8. Plenty of places to go and taxis.

2 hours ago, catsngoats said:

Costa Maya check out Jamies Blue Reef and Maya Chan, all inclusive beach breaks. I have been to Maya Chan and it was great, going to Jamies next week. Both have very good reviews. Make reservations as far ahead as possible, Maya Chan was completely booked 4 months ahead and that is why we are trying Jamies this trip.