Favorite things to do - not a tour

beej210

We will be in Cozumel in March.... we have a 21 year old and 5 year old daughters with us.  Going snorkeling in Grand Cayman, and seeing the ruins in Costa Maya.  Was thinking about doing the dolphin thing but that only lasts 40 min and Chankanaab park seems like it would be crowded with 6 ships in port.  What else do you love doing in Cozumel?  Doesn't have to be another tour.

Thanks!

we went through Plaza Tours and hired a driver for the day exploring the island. Go to the far side and see coconuts restaurant(the most highest point with gorgeous views) plus good drinks. We also just drove around seeing how they lived and tried fresh coconut water. Beautiful cathedrals,etc.    So much to see

The island tour suggested above is a good option - you can go through Tours Plaza, Black Hat is another option, or just hire a taxi by the hour (do some homework on where you want to go).

Cozumel is an island, so most of the options involve the beach or water.  Snorkel tours?  Beach clubs - there's one that meets your desires (i.e.  All inclusive or pay as you go; water toys or quiet and relaxing).  Read the reviews on this board and trip advisor.

I highly recommend the "Salsa, Salsa, Margarita" excursion.  It's not a tour -- you just go there, make (and eat) salsa, make (and drink) margaritas and then dance salsa!  You can use the huge hotel pool afterwards, or they'll just bring you right back to the ship.

I would go for the day to Chankanaab or one of the southern beach clubs, like Paradise beach, Mr Sanchos, or something like that.  Chankanaab is a national park, and very large.  Six ships is not huge for Cozumel, it is about average.  

If you love animals, go volunteer for a couple of hours at the Cozumel Humane Society.  It is less than a mile from the International and Puerta Maya cruise terminals.  After playing with the dogs and cats, head to the Money Bar for a couple of hours.  Have lunch and relax in their lounge chairs for a few hours.  The snorkeling is pretty good there too.  

Favorite day we ever spent in Cozumel was renting a VW bug from Isis (she's a sweetie).  Stopped at grocery store and bought a picnic.  Drove across the island's center road, there is only the one, and stopping at the small ruins and anything we thought looked interesting.  When we got to the opposite side we had lunch on the beach.  This side of the island isn't calm water but it is beautiful.  Then we took the main road along the outside of the island and stopped at stalls for trinkets and beverages.  We loved it.

I would recommend taking a taxi to Nachi Cocum.  We went there for the first time in October 2017 and would definitely go back. They have a limited number of guests they allow in each day, so you will want to contact them and get your reservations as soon as you decide to go. It never felt crowded. It was quiet and more adult-oriented.  We only saw a couple of children, but they looked like they were having a good time playing in the sand.  

Below is a video of pictures from Nachi Cocum.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with the Poster who suggested renting a  Car, Jeep, whatever then stopping at the grocery store (& checking it out 😁), then driving to the Other Side of the island & chill with your ocean front view, while enjoying a private lunch!  💙💙

On land vacations, we've enjoyed driving ourselves to Punta Sur, the Mayan Ruins (hiring a Guide on the spot), stopping at the Town Square on Sunday evenings. I'd still recommend going to the Square for relaxing, people watching, shopping & drinks or dessert. 

I think Cozumel is a comfortable DIY Port. Or if Preferred, you have access to great tours/Excursions as well. A little bit of something for everybody!

🌸🌸 Bobbi