Hawaii anyone ?

Little Monty

It is a beautiful blue sky day in mid summer where we live and DW and I have just had a lovely lunch on the waterfront. After lunch I looked out over the water and asked the obvious question .. why would you want to be anywhere else today ? 

Her reply .. we have never been to Hawaii, I'd like to be in Hawaii.

So that got me thinking about a cruise - but as far as I can see Viking does not visit Hawaii (not even the world cruise/s - not that we would be considering a world cruise at this stage).

So if you are reading this TellUs@VikingCruises ... my wife wants to go to Hawaii and I was hoping you might be able to help me out with this sometime in the future.

Hopefully there are other CC members who might join us.

LM 

9 hours ago, Little Monty said:

It is a beautiful blue sky day in mid summer where we live and DW and I have just had a lovely lunch on the waterfront. After lunch I looked out over the water and asked the obvious question .. why would you want to be anywhere else today ? 

Her reply .. we have never been to Hawaii, I'd like to be in Hawaii.

So that got me thinking about a cruise - but as far as I can see Viking does not visit Hawaii (not even the world cruise/s - not that we would be considering a world cruise at this stage).

So if you are reading this TellUs@VikingCruises ... my wife wants to go to Hawaii and I was hoping you might be able to help me out with this sometime in the future.

Hopefully there are other CC members who might join us.

LM 

We would like that too!  And you can leave LA on the first segment of the 2020/2021 World Cruise and disembark back in OZ.  Made just for you...

I would think VO would have a hard time sailing to Hawaii because of the Jones Act, which would prohibit them from sailing between a main-land USA port and Hawaii.  (This law requires USA owned ships, crewed by citizens, etc. between USA ports.)

I suspect this is also a big hurdle in them bringing their river ships to the Mississippi River, which they announced a few years ago.  (Although there have been reports they are working around this by some creative leasing arrangements with a USA ship builder.)

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

If there are direct flights to Hawaii for you, you should look into land-based travel. There is way to much to see and do there that you shouldn't limit yourself to what can be seen from a ship.

Totally agree.

My first visit to Hawaii was on Oriana in 1978 and we stopped in Honolulu for the day. Wasn't impressed, as it could be any big city and Waikiki Beach was even less impressive. Although we are only 5 hrs from Hawaii, we avoided it for many years, as DW was also on the same ship as a passenger.

About 15 years ago, friends finally convinced us to give it another try. Went to Maui the first time, which is spectacular. On subsequent visits we have also visited the Big Island and Kauai, which are way better than Honolulu. Thoroughly enjoyed our Hawaiian Island trips that we returned every other year for at least a month.

So try to avoid our mistake and take a land tour, with Maui (Kihei) being our favourite.

With Viking being generally port intensive, a R/T to Hawaii from the US mainland doesn't fit, as it takes about 5 sea days there and back. One way trips are not possible due to the US Passenger Vessel Services Act, which requires a visit to a foreign port for R/T and a distant foreign port if not R/T.

Edited by Heidi13

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

If there are direct flights to Hawaii for you, you should look into land-based travel. There is way to much to see and do there that you shouldn't limit yourself to what can be seen from a ship.

I agree. Being on the west coast, Hawaii is a favorite destination for many here.  Our first trip was in 1971 and we have been back many times since, and to all the islands except Lanai.   We personally feel the best way to visit and enjoy Hawaii is to rent a condo and "live like a local."  There is nothing better than a walk on the beach at sunrise.  

• Like 1

Thank you for all the replies ... and yes I understand a cruise would barely scratch the surface - I was being a bit lazy asking for Viking to arrange everything for me.

We do have direct flights from East Coast Australia, so no excuses.  

I do have some understanding of the great variety of scenery and other attractions - I never miss the PGA golf telecasts from Kapalua and Waialee in January each year as the host broadcasters always show great vision from around the islands.

So here is a plan ... fly Sydney - Hawaii and stay a week or so. Then fly Hawaii - LA and cruise back to Sydney as part of the WC (as suggested by Jim).

Now that would really test the budget, but never say never  :classic_biggrin:

Taking your time with a land-based vacation is the best way to enjoy Hawaii. Our favorite islands are Kauai and Maui - away from the invasion of tourists. Other cruise lines do travel from California to Hawaii all the time with a short stop in Ensenada, Mexico to comply with the PVSA. But even with overnight stays in some islands that other lines offer, there is simply not enough time to really experience the natural beauty of Hawaii.

21 minutes ago, twodjs said:

Taking your time with a land-based vacation is the best way to enjoy Hawaii. Our favorite islands are Kauai and Maui - away from the invasion of tourists. Other cruise lines do travel from California to Hawaii all the time with a short stop in Ensenada, Mexico to comply with the PVSA. But even with overnight stays in some islands that other lines offer, there is simply not enough time to really experience the natural beauty of Hawaii.

Most of the islands have  definitely become very crowded over the years.  Traffic is really an issue nowadays.  If you like  a more  laid back experience, and haven't already,   try Molokai.   We like the west end best for the wonderful surf.   I shouldn't say this on this forum, but if we were to do a cruise I would consider NCL as they do a sail by of the Napali Coast of Kauai.  But, yes, land based is best. 

34 minutes ago, Little Monty said:

Thank you for all the replies ... and yes I understand a cruise would barely scratch the surface - I was being a bit lazy asking for Viking to arrange everything for me.

I do have some understanding of the great variety of scenery and other attractions - I never miss the PGA golf telecasts from Kapalua and Waialee in January each year as the host broadcasters always show great vision from around the islands.

So here is a plan ... fly Sydney - Hawaii and stay a week or so. Then fly Hawaii - LA and cruise back to Sydney as part of the WC (as suggested by Jim).

Better plan, forget the world cruise part which will be mostly at sea and repeat the New Zealand cruise that you just did and spend the time in in Hawaii. Rent a car and a condo in each of Hawaii and Maui and explore on your own.

In 2016 we sailed with NCL on the Pride of America 7 days from Honolulu. It stopped at 4 islands and ended back in Honolulu. We liked it so much we booked another cruise for 2020 to take advantage of the deals NCL is currently offering. I know NCL isn’t close to VO but overall it a great way to see the islands. 

7 minutes ago, VJMAZZ said:

In 2016 we sailed with NCL on the Pride of America 7 days from Honolulu. It stopped at 4 islands and ended back in Honolulu. We liked it so much we booked another cruise for 2020 to take advantage of the deals NCL is currently offering. I know NCL isn’t close to VO but overall it a great way to see the islands. 

And a good point would be that a cruise would at least give a taste of each island.   I think NCL does a overnight in both Maui and Kauai, doesn't it?

3 minutes ago, Little Monty said:

Thank you VJMAZZ

NCL are doing a lot of advertising in Australia at present and I have seen that cruise in their offerings. As you say, not Viking but another option worth considering.

Upcoming Viking cruise will be our first but I imagine it is like comparing apples to oranges.   We actually have liked our NCL cruises, and my husband prefers to Princess.  We like the variety of alternative dining venues.  I would give them a try as an alternative in between your Viking cruises.  With all their offerings you can get many of the perks you get with Viking.  You know what they say about variety...........

Thanks again Ready to Sail !

This is from the NCL website :

Only Norwegian Cruise Line allows you to see four islands with two overnight stays in seven days. Our award-winning itinerary gives you the most time in port - nearly 100 hours - so you can capture the spirit and soul of Hawaii as you visit Oahu, Kauai, Maui and the Big Island.

Sounds very attractive.

16 minutes ago, Ready to Sail! said:

You know what they say about variety...........

Very true. Thanks again.

8 hours ago, Little Monty said:

So Monty, can we expect to see you boarding the Viking Sun on Jan 4th 2020, after visiting Hawaii.

17 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

So Monty, can we expect to see you boarding the Viking Sun on Jan 4th 2020, after visiting Hawaii.

That would be nice .. but LA - Sydney is 38 days and might be a stretch on the budget.

We have 2 VO booked for this year and South America in late 2020 ... so sadly maybe we will have to wait till 2021 to add to the list.

I look forward to reading about your WC adventures when the time arrives (are you on WC later this year, or are you on the Jan 2020 departure ?).

We are signed up for the 2nd half, departing L/A on Jan 4th.

The 2021 itinerary looks great, especially the jaunt through the Meddy. Had we not already booked 2020, we would definitely have signed up for 2021.

19 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

We are signed up for the 2nd half, departing L/A on Jan 4th.

The 2021 itinerary looks great, especially the jaunt through the Meddy. Had we not already booked 2020, we would definitely have signed up for 2021.

Ha, bet they have a Med segment before all is done.🍸