Carnival Splendor time vs. Port time (Cabo, PV & Mazatlan)??

CruisingTA

Hoping you can help!  We are wanting to make appts for shore excursions on our own at each of these ports next month, but cannot figure out FOR SURE what time the ship's time will be vs. the port times.  We live on the West Coast and, and so sailing out of Long Beach, are on the same time.  However, Cabo and Mazatlan are both 1 hour ahead of Pacific Time Zone and PV is 2 hours ahead.  Can anyone please tell me when Carnival Splendor changes their ship time (is it the same on EVERY cruise?) on the way down to Mexico so we can figure out what local time will be in each port vs. ship time?   We have called Carnival and they can't tell us - they say each ship is different......not any help at all!   THANKS!😎

31 minutes ago, CruisingTA said:

Thanks - guessing that was daylight savings time in April?  Was Mexico on Daylight Savings time then too?  Just trying to figure this all out SOON  Thanks!

For what it's worth both California and the states visited in Mexico do daylight savings time. So that may not make any difference, unless it's March. But I'm from AZ and all that daylight savings time just seems like madness to me.

58 minutes ago, CruisingTA said:

Hoping you can help!  We are wanting to make appts for shore excursions on our own at each of these ports next month, but cannot figure out FOR SURE what time the ship's time will be vs. the port times.  We live on the West Coast and, and so sailing out of Long Beach, are on the same time.  However, Cabo and Mazatlan are both 1 hour ahead of Pacific Time Zone and PV is 2 hours ahead.  Can anyone please tell me when Carnival Splendor changes their ship time (is it the same on EVERY cruise?) on the way down to Mexico so we can figure out what local time will be in each port vs. ship time?   We have called Carnival and they can't tell us - they say each ship is different......not any help at all!   THANKS!😎

I say this every time this subject comes up. The shore excursion people in all ports know the ship time, their time, docking time, departure time, if the ship is late, if there are customs delays and much more than the cruisers.  When you book your excursion (we never use Carnival) the excursion company will very specific with times. This is what they 5-6 days a week, most of the year. Ship times rarely change on Carnival, if they do it will be in Fun Times and the Hub App. They will fully inform you and they will wait, or they don't get paid.

9 minutes ago, coevan said:

Cruising TA, the post above is what confuses people so much, rely on your tour operator. They make the time very clear on their meeting instructions

Cruising TA asked a question, I answered with my semi-recent experience.  You might find it confusing but I would have loved for that information when I asked the same question before going on the Splendor last year.  

Oh and by the way, ship staff got the ship time vs port time wrong while on the ship the night before ports, along with tour operators that I booked with.  I left myself an hour buffer just to be sure but if I was only to rely on Carnival and tour operators, I would have been screwed.

Edited by slinky221

1 hour ago, CruisingTA said:

We are sailing on the Splendor in May. I could never get a firm answer from other boards or even the tour operator we are using, so I called Carnival. Ship Time is always the time it is in Long Beach- PST. I only checked on Cabo, but found out that Cabo is MST, so an hour earlier. We travel to PV each year and it’s CST, so two hours difference. I’m not sure about Mazatlan, I didn’t check on that Time Zone as we’re not doing a formal tour there. I hope this helps! Enjoy your trip!

@JennPVMX,

We have done that cruise many many times.

Ship time does NOT remain on PST for the whole cruise!!

The captain will come on to tell you when the time will change .It ALWAYS changes!

Carnival folks who answer the phones are sales people and know nothing about the actual operation of the ship!

The only true statement is that tour operators understand this and know when the ship is in port that you may not be able to leave immediately so they will wait for you!

It should not be something you worry about when booking private tours!!!

3 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

@JennPVMX,

The captain will come on to tell you when the time will change .It ALWAYS changes!

Carnival folks who answer the phones are sales people and know nothing about the actual operation of the ship!

The only true statement is that tour operators understand this and know when the ship is in port that you may not be able to leave immediately so they will wait for you!

I genuinely appreciate your feedback. I thought by calling the source I was getting a definitive answer! Ugh! Our tour operator did NOT have any clue about Ship Time vs Cabo Time, which is why I called Carnival.  My tour operator was suggesting I book at tour at a time that based on my information from Carnival, there was very little chance I’d make. Since you’ve sailed this cruise many times, can you clarify the time differences for us? I scheduled a tour based on Carnival information... 

Again, many thanks!!

2 hours ago, JennPVMX said:

We are sailing on the Splendor in May. I could never get a firm answer from other boards or even the tour operator we are using, so I called Carnival. Ship Time is always the time it is in Long Beach- PST. I only checked on Cabo, but found out that Cabo is MST, so an hour earlier. We travel to PV each year and it’s CST, so two hours difference. I’m not sure about Mazatlan, I didn’t check on that Time Zone as we’re not doing a formal tour there. I hope this helps! Enjoy your trip!

No, more confusion, the tour operators have the best information. We always get a detailed email where to meet and what time, including time zone in bold letters.

1 minute ago, coevan said:

No, more confusion, the tour operators have the best information. We always get a detailed email where to meet and what time, including time zone in bold letters.

Yes, another member responded prior to you and corrected the information that I received from Carnival. As I mentioned above, our tour operator was NOT able to give us information about Ship Time vs Cabo Time unfortunately, which is why I called Carnival. I certainly don’t mean to spread false information. I thought by calling the source I had reliable info. Does anyone actually know the answer to the OP’s question? I’d certainly like to know now, too! 🙂

Just now, JennPVMX said:

Yes, another member responded prior to you and corrected the information that I received from Carnival. As I mentioned above, our tour operator was NOT able to give us information about Ship Time vs Cabo Time unfortunately, which is why I called Carnival. I certainly don’t mean to spread false information. I thought by calling the source I had reliable info. Does anyone actually know the answer to the OP’s question? I’d certainly like to know now, too! 🙂

I'll answer it again though I might be accused of spreading confusion again.  This was true for my cruise on the Splendor last summer. 

Cabo was one hour ahead of ship time.

Mazatlan was the same time as ship time.

PV was one hour ahead of ship time.  

And much like you, I found that excursion operators I used did not know what time the ship would be using.  They could only tell me that their excursions left at 11 (or whatever) local time.  

1 minute ago, slinky221 said:

I'll answer it again though I might be accused of spreading confusion again.  This was true for my cruise on the Splendor last summer. 

Cabo was one hour ahead of ship time.

Mazatlan was the same time as ship time.

PV was one hour ahead of ship time.  

And much like you, I found that excursion operators I used did not know what time the ship would be using.  They could only tell me that their excursions left at 11 (or whatever) local time.  

Thank you! I’m grateful to know I’m not the only one who has had this experience with a tour operator! 😉 

I appreciate your info very much!

Hi,

Tour operators do not know anything about "ship time".

I agree that PV was one hour ahead of ship time.

I am not aware of what the time was in Cabo.

IF you are doing a private tour in Cabo they will wait for you.

The problem in Cabo is getting off the ship since it is a tender port.

Folks with ship tours generally are allowed to get off before others.

Folks with priority(Platinum, Diamond, FTTF etc) may also go before you unless you are in that group.

We do lots of private tours and spend time doing it ourselves in many ports but in tender ports I tend to book ship tours just to make sure we can get off the ship in a timely fashion even though we are Platinum.

1 hour ago, riffatsea said:

@JennPVMX,

Also, they will print an advisory in the Fun Times a day ahead. Read carefully, I set my watch to the right time a day ahead and showed up to activities an hour earlier than necessary!

When is your cruise date?

We are on the Splendor March 9 which is when USA moves to DST and Mexico does NOT. 

So ignore Coevan as he’s clueless to what time local tours leave versus ship time. 

Contact your tour operator and ask them what local time their tour meetup is. 

And if you’re doing a Cabo excursion get FTTF if you’re not D or P. 

Maybe this will help? 

Edited by CA_Cruzing

Seems that many of you have taken this cruise already. I’m also planning my own excursions from viator. They usually are group excursions so not private tours which will wait for me. 

We will be staying in Cabo overnight and then heading to PV afterwards. this thread helped me with figuring out local time vs ship time. Now I’m needing to know about the Cabo tenders. Can I come and go as we please? Like will there be tenders as late or early as I want? Was thinking about nightlife as well as game fishing. Tryin to figure out my options and make some decisions as we are to leave in less than a month! 

Thanks in advance

On 1/28/2019 at 10:30 PM, CA_Cruzing said:

So ignore Coevan as he’s clueless to what time local tours leave versus ship time. 

My son was a Captain in St. Thomas and took cruise passengers snorkeling and trips to BVI. The tour operators definitely know what ship time is. They will have docking info way before passengers even have a clue. This is what they do for a living over 300 days a year, sometimes twice a day. The biggest joke to the locals is the paranoia and confusion of the cruise guests. Think about it CA_Cruisin, they are going to leave 40 ppl on the dock and not make any money, silly. 

13 minutes ago, coevan said:

My son was a Captain in St. Thomas and took cruise passengers snorkeling and trips to BVI. The tour operators definitely know what ship time is. They will have docking info way before passengers even have a clue. This is what they do for a living over 300 days a year, sometimes twice a day. The biggest joke to the locals is the paranoia and confusion of the cruise guests. Think about it CA_Cruisin, they are going to leave 40 ppl on the dock and not make any money, silly. 

wonderful, except you ignore the main issue in that what time will the boat be in port boat time versus land time.

when a local tour, not operated by CCL says it leaves at 11AM, is that local time or ship time? you don't know, so don't answer with a blow off reply as you do and continue to do.

further MX implements DST at different dates than US does so that just adds another kink into March cruises to MR.

so until you can give definitive and actual data, please avoid genetically commenting. comment on what you actually know, not what you suppose or believe because you son ran tours on a different ocean in a different time zone at a different time of year.

if you don't like my replies, please feel free to not comment on them. the information you give out to people doesn't contain actionable data and wastes space and time.

thank you.

14 hours ago, jerseygirldawn said:

We will be staying in Cabo overnight and then heading to PV afterwards. this thread helped me with figuring out local time vs ship time. Now I’m needing to know about the Cabo tenders. Can I come and go as we please? Like will there be tenders as late or early as I want? Was thinking about nightlife as well as game fishing. Tryin to figure out my options and make some decisions as we are to leave in less than a month! 

Thanks in advance

the 2 days in Cabo on the Splendor isn't an overnighter...it's two days in Cabo, first day they leave at 6pm, out to sea, then back in Cabo at 7am...

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, CA_Cruzing said:

wonderful, except you ignore the main issue in that what time will the boat be in port boat time versus land time.

No I'm not they know the time, they all have phones or watches. They stay in touch with Port Authority to know arrival times, late arrivals or customs hold ups. They definitely know the ships time vs land time. 

51 minutes ago, coevan said:

No I'm not they know the time, they all have phones or watches. They stay in touch with Port Authority to know arrival times, late arrivals or customs hold ups. They definitely know the ships time vs land time. 

please, stop. please.

you have not answered what time ship time is versus local time. unless you can answer this precisely, please stop replying.