Using my complementary 2 hour internet

fizzy1

I have 2 hours complementary wifi as a Gold perk . Once i sign in does the clock start counting down or does it only get used up as i actually start surfing ? In other words if i am only on it ten mins at a time does that leave the remaining  un used time still there ?   . Thanks 

Once you connect, the clock starts ticking. Be sure to logout when you are finished. Any unused minutes can be used for your next log in session. There is a summary display that tells you how many minutes you have used, and how many minutes you have remaining.

Actually you will “buy” a 2 hr package, then on your bill you will see a credit for the 2 hr package. If you need more minutes, just buy more minutes when you use up your free 2 hrs.

the 8nternet is very slow, so I usually just check email, not much else.

Just to add to the above, when you sign up, you will have to create an account.  This lets you log back in to use your remaining time.  I usually log on first from one of the computers in the library as I find this easier.  After that, I log on from my phone or tablet.

It is very important to make sure that you have actually logged off. If you just disconnect or close the browser, the clock will continue to run. When you log off, you will get a screen showing how much time you have remaining. Until you see that screen you are not logged off. 

Also, if you think 2 hours won't be enough, buy four at the start. It is far cheaper to buy a package, than to buy it by the minute. 

• Like 1

Fizzy1,

IMHO, thru my personal experience I would always use the computers early in the morning before breakfast and around midnight when the computers are not in demand.

I find when many of the terminals are in continuous use during the Daytime in the Computer Center and Library the service besides normally dragging, dragging even more. When the terminals are in less use, there is a chance for a bit more speed but not much. I even found it as far back when Internet Service was introduced on the QE2.

Yes, log on as soon as possible and log off when completed. Be organized of what you are going to accomplish. Avoid surfing on these terminals to save time. I am Diamond level with 8 hours and still watch the time equally as careful as you would with 2 hours.

I also find difficulty with computer services when the weather is not the greatest outside and even avoid the use totally.

Bon Voyage and Cheers.....  

• Like 1

If you are on a multi segment voyage, each segment that may be booked as a separate cruise results in a refresh of your 'gold status' internet allowance. 

At least that was true in 2017 - the eastbound and westbound crossings each had an allocation.

For email, use an offline mail client instead of web mail to compose / read mail while offline, and then just go online to upload the 'out box' and download the 'in box'. I use Apple's mail app [the 'postage stamp'] - on a PC you may want to look at the Thunderbird application [from the same folks as the Firefox browser]

• Like 1

Make sure you log off when your are finished.  Make sure you log off when your are finished.  Make sure you log off when your are finished.  Oh, and did I remind you to log off when you are finished?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cunard have updated the process for logging off the Internet when using your own device (iPad etc).

To log off now you just type logout.com into the web address space.  

I assume that there must have been people surfing who weren't returning to the landing page to logout, or worse just disconnecting the wifi connection, which doesn't end the session.

From memory, if sign up on the first or second day of your voyage, you will get a few more minutes than the complimentary 120 minutes for being Gold.

Also if there are two of you and you are both Gold, you both benefit from the complimentary 120 minutes, it is not per stateroom.  

Different usernames etc, but does mean if you have used all yours up, you can use theirs...

• Like 1

On 1/30/2019 at 11:31 PM, MarkBearSF said:

Additionally, they usually offer bonus minutes if you sign up the first day. Your internet time will actually be a credit in dollars, so you'll get more free minutes.

That wasn't the case in December. I dutifully signed up the first day but received no bonus.

Don't forget that if you and your roommate/spouse are both Gold members, each of you receives the time perk.  DW uses hers only minimally so when mine is running low I log in with her user name. 🙂 

• Thanks 1

Thanks all . Interesting to read  about the multi segment  trips. We are on the Aug 11th B2B from Southampron to NY . Dont know if our trip is classed as a 2 segment journey as it was booked as a roundtrip so will ask when we first board . Thanks for all the usefull info. Unfortunately it is only me that has the Gold perks as hubby has only  been on Cunard once before

On 1/31/2019 at 8:16 AM, TheOldBear said:

If you are on a multi segment voyage, each segment that may be booked as a separate cruise results in a refresh of your 'gold status' internet allowance. 

At least that was true in 2017 - the eastbound and westbound crossings each had an allocation.

For email, use an offline mail client instead of web mail to compose / read mail while offline, and then just go online to upload the 'out box' and download the 'in box'. I use Apple's mail app [the 'postage stamp'] - on a PC you may want to look at the Thunderbird application [from the same folks as the Firefox browser]

Good to know as we are boarding a 2-segment cruise next week.

I usually travel with a laptop or tablet that has a word processor. If I want to send a trip update to family or friends, I type my message into the word processor, copy it, log in and begin a new email message with the recipients and subject line, then paste the message from the word processor into the email and send it. Takes just a few minutes of your internet time. Whenever we are in port I check to see if there is wifi in the terminal or elsewhere so that I can review and delete or answer emails and not have to use onboard internet time. I am fortunate, however, that my cellphone plan has free text and data in almost every country so I can use that to check email, etc. when in port. Of course, this isn't an option when on a transatlantic with no port calls so you really have to find ways to shorten the time online. I agree with the post that the best time to log in is early morning or late at night.

12 hours ago, 40yearcruiser said:

I usually travel with a laptop or tablet that has a word processor. If I want to send a trip update to family or friends, I type my message into the word processor, copy it, log in and begin a new email message with the recipients and subject line, then paste the message from the word processor into the email and send it. Takes just a few minutes of your internet time. Whenever we are in port I check to see if there is wifi in the terminal or elsewhere so that I can review and delete or answer emails and not have to use onboard internet time. I am fortunate, however, that my cellphone plan has free text and data in almost every country so I can use that to check email, etc. when in port. Of course, this isn't an option when on a transatlantic with no port calls so you really have to find ways to shorten the time online. I agree with the post that the best time to log in is early morning or late at night.

This reminds me of the early days with America On Line, where they charged you by the minute. I would down load new messages, log off, create any answers or new messages, then log on and send them. It works. Ah yes the olden days of the late '90s.