Drink Package

meslwd

1. There are a couple of different drink packages and they include different thing (acl and no alc) ..

2. This is a topic discussed OFTEN here and you'll find a lot of info and opinions

3.  Value is in the eye of the buyer but I would mention that the 'premium package' price charged by RCCL is kinda UP THERE so consider your drink habits carefully

4. The cost is different for every cruise and even for your sailing you can expect it to change several times 'tween now and then. All you can do is go to your cruise planner and check the price - I do it daily in the last 2 months leading up to a trip.  PITA? YES!  The one good news here is if you buy a package and the price goes down you can CANCEL your purchase and get a full refund and then turn around and rebuy at the new price.  IME if you see the price for premium go below $55 a day that's probably as low as it will go. NOTE what ever your per day price is, the actual charge is this PLUS 18% gratuity . . . 

• Like 1

Also to add to @Capt_BJ I would evaluate WHAT you drink too. I prefer beer over liquor so the alcohol package doesn't seem like a good fit with me (I'd have to drink over 8 beers a day, which is doable for some just not me). Whereas if you drink cocktails it might only take around 5 to 'break even'. For my upcoming cruise on the Enchantment out of Galveston in May, the deluxe beverage package is $49pp per day before gratuity.

On most ships:  Some drinks are $8, many are $10, most are $12.  Add 18%  to this price.

General concensus is 5 drinks per day is the average amount required to break even.  Unless you already plan to purchase the non-alc package anyway,  then the added cost to go up to the deluxe package is only about 2 drinks worth for the difference. 

dp

p.s.

this is what's on the RCCL site today ...

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/beverage-packages

Delux (includes booze) Onboard pricing is currently  $63.00-$70.00/per day for 2019 sailings. (includes drinks up to $12 and everything below on this list ... everything in the refreshment pkg

refreshment (soda, premium coffee, juices, bottled water) Onboard pricing is currently $29.00/per day for 2019 sailings. (includes the 'chip cup' for access to the freestyle machine if your cruise has this, and 'fountain' soda, and 'virgin' bar drinks aka no booze pina colada, and bottled water)

classic soda (fountain soda and the freestyle machine) Onboard pricing is currently $12.99/per day for 2019 sailings.

'better' prices are offered for pre-booking but as I mentioned they CHANGE quite regularly . . . 

AND if not already aware ... everyone in the cabin must purchase the package (there are a few exceptions but this is the general rule ... two adults in the room they BOTH must buy premium)

(side bar - the Viking Ocean daily charge for a booze package is $25 a day ... tip included in that ... and beer and wine is included for lunch and dinner in the basic fare.  A factor to consider when looking at a cruise' cost)

Edited by Capt_BJ

On our upcoming 7 night cruise, the package is $47.00 per person.  This is the lowest I have EVER seen it on any cruise I've been on, probably going to take it.  I also saw on another thread about drink packages that the price could go down into the 30's (high 30's at that).  So that makes it even more affordable.  

Checking today it went up to $50.00. On another reservation, it was saved in the shopping cart at the $47.00 price but suddenly became "unavailable" at the price change.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

On 2/3/2019 at 4:31 AM, dpostman said:

General concensus is 5 drinks per day is the average amount required to break even.  Unless you already plan to purchase the non-alc package anyway,  then the added cost to go up to the deluxe package is only about 2 drinks worth for the difference. 

dp

This is the important bit....

If you like to have decent coffee and/or fresh juice with breakfast, bottled water for your cabin and to take ashore, or even (gasp) soft drinks during the day, then you don't have to be tanked every day just to break even.

Without knowing the exact prices for drinks (as it varies between ships), having each day:

1 x coffee

1 x fresh juice

1 x soft drink

3 x bottles of water

would mean you probably only need 4 or four alcoholic drinks to break even.

1 x beer in the afternoon

1 or 2 glasses of wine with dinner 

1 x cocktail or nightcap

On sea days, you'll possibly drink more, so don't forget to factor that into your calculations.

Finally, don't forget the other part... you don't have to worry about a huge bill at the end of the cruise, if you try a cocktail and don't like it, you simply order something else (the same with the wine), and you're not checking your account all the time to see if you've been charged correctly.

If,l on the other hand, you only have maybe two alcoholic drinks a day, and are happy to drink the non-alcoholic drinks that are included in your cruise anyway, then the package would be a waste of money....

Personally, I will definitely get value for money from the package, but even if it was borderline on breaking even, I would get the package just so I can forget about it and enjoy my cruise.

13 hours ago, Balsam12 said:

This is the important bit....

If you like to have decent coffee and/or fresh juice with breakfast, bottled water for your cabin and to take ashore, or even (gasp) soft drinks during the day, then you don't have to be tanked every day just to break even.

Without knowing the exact prices for drinks (as it varies between ships), having each day:

1 x coffee

1 x fresh juice

1 x soft drink

3 x bottles of water

would mean you probably only need 4 or four alcoholic drinks to break even.

1 x beer in the afternoon

1 or 2 glasses of wine with dinner 

1 x cocktail or nightcap

On sea days, you'll possibly drink more, so don't forget to factor that into your calculations.

Finally, don't forget the other part... you don't have to worry about a huge bill at the end of the cruise, if you try a cocktail and don't like it, you simply order something else (the same with the wine), and you're not checking your account all the time to see if you've been charged correctly.

If,l on the other hand, you only have maybe two alcoholic drinks a day, and are happy to drink the non-alcoholic drinks that are included in your cruise anyway, then the package would be a waste of money....

Personally, I will definitely get value for money from the package, but even if it was borderline on breaking even, I would get the package just so I can forget about it and enjoy my cruise.

I can do this easily.  But don't forget about having a Bloody Mary or Mimosa (or two) each morning with breakfast too...

• 2 weeks later...

Sale on drink package on my Navigator cruise.  Maybe it is just advertised as a sale.  It is $52 per day.  I've never gotten the drink package since with suites you can get drinks at night and have access to the coffee machine at virtually any time.  But I do like a very good champagne and on Celebrity last year had probably 4 glasses during the day off and on.  I have no idea how much good champagne is on RCL.  My sis in law loves wine so for her it definitely would be worth it.  Is $52 a good price?  Does the $52 cover debarkation day too?  I wouldn't drink that day.  I guess I could cancel after getting it but don't know if I should wait to board to get it.  This is for a 4 night cruise.  Comments welcome.

Edited by parrotfeathers

On 2/9/2019 at 2:10 PM, AACJ said:

On our upcoming 7 night cruise, the package is $47.00 per person.  This is the lowest I have EVER seen it on any cruise I've been on, probably going to take it.  I also saw on another thread about drink packages that the price could go down into the 30's (high 30's at that).  So that makes it even more affordable.  

I see it on Royal right now for $44

42 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

Sale on drink package on my Navigator cruise.  Maybe it is just advertised as a sale.  It is $52 per day.  I've never gotten the drink package since with suites you can get drinks at night and have access to the coffee machine at virtually any time.  But I do like a very good champagne and on Celebrity last year had probably 4 glasses during the day off and on.  I have no idea how much good champagne is on RCL.  My sis in law loves wine so for her it definitely would be worth it.  Is $52 a good price?  Does the $52 cover debarkation day too?  I wouldn't drink that day.  I guess I could cancel after getting it but don't know if I should wait to board to get it.  This is for a 4 night cruise.  Comments welcome.

The deluxe Drink package is always costs more onboard than prepaying thought your cruise planner.  $52 sounds like the usual everyday online price.  It should come down from that on sale, but not a guaranty.  What ever price you do purchase at, you can easily cancel and re-purchase if you see a better price later on.

Good champagne and wine usually costs more than the package allows, but you only pay the difference +18% over the $12 or $13 (Depending on ship) per glass.  So if you want a glass of Caymus that is $20 per glass, and I believe Navigator package limit is $12, so you would be charged $8 + $1.44 on your seapass account.

Several descent wines are in the $14 and $16 range.  Vintages will probably have the widest selection.  I'm sorry I can't help more with the champagne selection as it is not something I usually drink, except when mixed in cocktails, and for that, I don't use the "Good" stuff.

dp

1 hour ago, Luminated67 said:

If you already have the refreshments package but want to take advantage of the discount and upgrade to the deluxe package do you have to phone RC to cancel your existing package or can you do it in ‘manage my booking’?

Cancel and reorder, either by phone or website.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2019 at 9:56 AM, parrotfeathers said:

I have been monitoring prices for my June Anthem cruise since April 2018. $52 has been the regular pre cruise price.   It drops to $49 every so often. It's $49 now and final payment is Monday.  Maybe it will drop lower closer to sail date.

28 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Maybe it will drop lower closer to sail date.

Good advice and I will continue to monitor it.  My Celebrity cruise spoiled me so I guess I will fall into the drink package folks.  I can take my good champagne into the suite lounge if I desire to go in there.

So do we have to just keep checking in for drink package price drops or do they send out promotional sale emails or anything? This is my first time cruising on RC. It's sitting at $56 a day for us but we're quite a ways off.

26 minutes ago, JayTee1 said:

If I don't buy the drink package, what kind of coffee and water will i be able to get?

Ship tap water is available everywhere and many people including myself are fine with it.  Bottles are nice to bring along on shore excursions but any refillable bottle can also work.

non-specialty coffee is available in several locations that look this

image.png.0b9505a506087348490d4d21b689796c.png

or this

image.png.91afd4c8734f46fe209706ed04072f57.png

If you like the coffee from service stations and diners then this should be fine.

The Specialty coffees included in the Drink packages are Espresso based like in coffee shops and Starbucks or Second Cup

dp

Edited by dpostman