Mobility-impaired—disappointed on Edge

Alakegirl

2 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

Actually those doors are not an improvement and still super dangerous. My wife was walking out ahead of me and the outer door opened, we didn’t know it was windy, just as I was coming through the inner door. It slammed shut so hard that the plastic covers on the closing mechanism fell off and I have no clue how the glass didn’t shatter, it sounded like a gunshot when it closed. Thankfully nobody was walking behind me at the time or I wasn’t further behind her. Only the sliding double doors should be used on cruise ships. 

Thanks for sharing that experience, and I’m glad you both escaped unhurt! You are right, sounds like they are actually worse than trying to push the heavy wood doors on some ships, based on your episode.

As someone told me way back when the ADA passed, the positive changes for accessibility benefit everyone, not just people with disabilities. (Everybody likes a cut in the curb or a ramp when they are rolling luggage.) And just about all of us will have special needs at various points in our lives. Imagine a parent having your same experience while trying to exit to that deck, pushing a baby carriage.

• Like 1

If you can't use a ladder, then you should use the chair lift at the pool which does have the lift.  It is for anyone who cannot access the pool using a ladder, not just for those who cannot walk.  Once you are in the pool, you do not have to stay in the chair.  You can swim/float out and then just come back to the chair when you are ready to get out of the pool  The only caveat is that you do have to have assistance from the pool deck staff as the chair lifts on the ships are not the type you can operate yourself and get into/out of the pool.

The pool lift on the Harmony of the Seas is at the beach pool.  Unfortunately there are not lifts at every pool.  So if the ship has chosen to put the lift at the outside pool, usually they don't provide a lift at the other pool.  But they should provide a lift at an area where the use is restricted to those who have paid an extra fee, whether through individual booking or as an amenity provided to that class of stateroom.