Price Reduction during Wave Season

Hoping someone can assist me with a price reduction question.  I am booked on the Sunshine sailing in June, did a mock booking and the rate is cheaper.  Usually if there is a price reduction I call my TA and they verify the price with Carnival and I get the reduced price as long as I have not made my final payment.  Yesterday I contacted my TA and she stated that it would cost me $50 per person because the reservation would have to be cancelled and rebooked.  She said that it was a Carnival policy because it is Wave Season.  Obviously I am not going to do that because the price reduction is only $75 and it would cost me $100 per cabin.  BTW, we have a total of 5 rooms booked during this sailing so each room would have to be rebooked.  

I'm just wondering if anyone else has every heard of this rule or is it time for me to switch TA's.

I believe that it is time to switch TA's.  There is no such thing as an added charge for a price reduction during wave season.  If you booked ES fare (which it sounds like because she pulled out the $50 penalty), it is not a cancel/rebook, but a price match. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

I believe that it is time to switch TA's.  There is no such thing as an added charge for a price reduction during wave season.  If you booked ES fare (which it sounds like because she pulled out the $50 penalty), it is not a cancel/rebook, but a price match. 

Thank you.  That is just what I thought.  

3 hours ago, swimducky21 said:

That is not true at all! I've booked the Magic in September and already gotten a couple price reductions in wave season through my travel agent and there was no fee involved. 

I've also had several changes during prior cruises and never was charged for doing a price reduction.  That is why I wanted to reach out to other's to see if they had ever heard of this policy.

2 hours ago, MCC retired said:

Your TA is wrong or lazy .

I believe it is a combination of wrong and lazy LOL.  So I called Carnival for clarification.  They reviewed all of our bookings and said there should be no penalty accessed and questioned the "WAVE" penalty.  Of course there is nothing they could do because it belongs to the TA which I fully understand.  Prior to this booking I was considering switching TA's but it was just easier to stay with her and the loyalty perks are pretty good.  Well guess that was a lesson learned.  I did send her another email asking for further clarification on the fee and to let her know about my conversation with Carnival.  

8 minutes ago, bakersdozen12 said:

What exactly is “wave season?”

What is Wave Season?

Wave season is a three-month period from (approximately) January 1 to March 31, when cruise lines and travel agents book a very large number of cruise cabins. Think of it as a “wave” of bookings; it’s kind of like Black Friday or Cyber Monday, but it lasts for three whole months.

https://*****/advice/how-to-book/before-you-book/what-is-wave-season

19 hours ago, happygirlchocolate said:

Hoping someone can assist me with a price reduction question.  I am booked on the Sunshine sailing in June, did a mock booking and the rate is cheaper.  Usually if there is a price reduction I call my TA and they verify the price with Carnival and I get the reduced price as long as I have not made my final payment.  Yesterday I contacted my TA and she stated that it would cost me $50 per person because the reservation would have to be cancelled and rebooked.  She said that it was a Carnival policy because it is Wave Season.  Obviously I am not going to do that because the price reduction is only $75 and it would cost me $100 per cabin.  BTW, we have a total of 5 rooms booked during this sailing so each room would have to be rebooked.  

I'm just wondering if anyone else has every heard of this rule or is it time for me to switch TA's.

That makes no sense....you have to be booked under Early Saver or there would be no penalty to cancel that she mentioned.  If you are under Early Saver you get price matches, nothing requires a cancellation and rebook.

Well I have to come back and post that the change fee is listed in my contract.  I guess I let my guard down and did not fully read my contract. I've used them for the past several years and made price adjustments with them just last year and did not get a fee.  I knew if I cancelled my booking I would incur the fee but I did not know that if there was a promotion change there would be a fee.  Lesson Learned.  

A $ 50.00 USD per person cancellation fee applies to any reservation booked through our agency and applies to each guest listed in the cabin(s) at time of cancellation.  The cancellation fee is applicable to each reservation booked (including separate reservations which together make a longer voyage -otherwise known as sequential or “back to back” reservations).  Changes of ship, sailing date, promotion (even when the reservation number stays the same), or outright cancellation of the reservation will result in the cancellation fee being imposed.