Can you take a bottle of Rum/Liquor on board on the very first day?

HarryKane

1 minute ago, mediccruzin said:

Cruzan 2 year old dark rum is my sipping rum. But I have not found that in the fun shops, unless they have changed recently.

Sorry,  no,  you won't find it in the FS on a ship, but I think someone said smuggling??   oops...foo...pah!

I have a friend in St.Thomas who has found a 10-12yr old Cruzan.  He keeps it for sippin'.   I have not seen it here yet, but still looking.

31 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

That would never happen. They want you spending money on board, they'll just take the booze and you'll be on your way.

If they kicked you off for trying to take a bottle on board, they lose out and gain nothing by that.

I said it wasn’t likely, but the cruise contract clearly states in Section 4f guests  caught with prohibited items may be denied boarding or disembarked and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. 

Of course Carnival would gain something; they would have a cabin paid for without having to provide anything to these guests because they wouldn’t be on the ship.  I think the odds of Carnival doing this are low like I previously mentioned, but legally they have the right to deny them their cruise without compensation. To me it isn’t worth risking a cruise that potentially cost thousands of dollars to sneak in a bottle or two of alcohol. 

52 minutes ago, jwjax said:

Sorry,  no,  you won't find it in the FS on a ship, but I think someone said smuggling??   oops...foo...pah!

I have a friend in St.Thomas who has found a 10-12yr old Cruzan.  He keeps it for sippin'.   I have not seen it here yet, but still looking.

I toured their Distillery in 2004 on St Croix.

If there was a risk of not being allowed to board the ship then 100% NO WAY would I ever risk sneaking on a bottle of booze! Reading from other comments it seems that if they did confiscate a bottle you would have to meet up with security in the bowels of the ship for a good old telling off but have to stand in line for ages before that???

Is there like a FTTF type package that could get you to the front of the line for your verbal warning and to retrieve your suitcases (minus the confiscated bottle of rum) from security?  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HarryKane said:

If there was a risk of not being allowed to board the ship then 100% NO WAY would I ever risk sneaking on a bottle of booze! Reading from other comments it seems that if they did confiscate a bottle you would have to meet up with security in the bowels of the ship for a good old telling off but have to stand in line for ages before that???

Is there like a FTTF type package that could get you to the front of the line for your verbal warning and to retrieve your suitcases (minus the confiscated bottle of rum) from security?  🤣

I doubt FTTF gets you to head of line for the "naughty room".  And the idea of filling a waterbottle with booze and taking it on board is nixed as they don't allow you to bring your own water on board now.    There is an item called Rum Runners that is basically a thick plastic bag.  Smaller sizes have worked okay in the past as they fit in a cargo style pants cargo pocket.  But new scanner can rule that out.  Larger Rum Runners are more likely to show up in luggage scanners, so you are out booze and bag.

As someone else mentioned, while upfront it's more expensive that a duty free store or your local packie, per drink cost for Fun Shop/Bon voyage is about breakeven with ship bought drinks.  You can bring your own mixer if that saves some $.

If your suitcase is unlocked, they will just remove the item and the bag will still be delivered to your room. If it is locked, you will get a note saying to come down to luggage handling with your key. You then unlock the suitcase, and then they remove the item. I speak from experience. It happened to me last May. No warnings of threats were made.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1