Puerto Plata

RedwingHockeyFan

Starting in November 2020, NCL has added Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic to the Eastern Caribbean Itineraries.  7 day cruises will now have 4 stops: GSC, Puerto Plata, St Thomas and Tortola.  I'm pretty happy about this.  We always went with the Western itineraries because they made one more stop.

My apologies if this was already posted on these boards.

Edited by RedwingHockeyFan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Does anyone have any new information on this port? I would like to visit the 27 waterfalls and am happy to book it independently from the ship, but it's difficult to even start planning without knowing for sure where we are docking.

Carnival built the Amber Cove area and only they are allowed to do there. All other cruise ships from the likes of NCL, MSC and other ships planing to dock will use the new terminal down the road that is being built.

For now, most ships is advertising the ships docking at Amber Cove which is not true. They will dock at Taino Bay in Puerto Plata

I went to Amber Cove on Royal Caribbean. The port is really nice and has lots of good deals. Puerto Plata itself isn’t the safest. I wouldn’t venture out and about without a tour group that you can really trust. I used to rep an owner at a resort there and we were warned not to leave the premises on our own. 

6 hours ago, cruisencrazy said:

I went to Amber Cove on Royal Caribbean. The port is really nice and has lots of good deals. Puerto Plata itself isn’t the safest. I wouldn’t venture out and about without a tour group that you can really trust. I used to rep an owner at a resort there and we were warned not to leave the premises on our own. 

I was considering a 9 day in May 2021- reconsidering given recent events but the itinerary is great. 

13 hours ago, cruisencrazy said:

Agree, we have only been there once, many years ago so my impression is maybe not objective in today's world, but we did not go on a tour and couldn't wait to get back on the ship. It was pretty scary. They did have some good shopping.