Bringing a bottle of Spirts on Board

pinkpanther52

38 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I can't see anything about green paint but Cunard would have a problem with smoking and playing bagpipes in your cabin so I don't really understand your point.

"Can I take a musical instrument on board ?

Yes, however it will not be possible for you to play them within your stateroom.

For bagpipes, it would be preferable if you use a chanter to practice on.

It will be possible for you to play them in a show lounge or other such room from time-to-time pending that no shows or activities are scheduled there, and only between the hours of 10am and 10pm.

Please contact the Voyage Director when you embark and they will be able to advise you on which venues and what times would be most suitable for your practising. Please be aware that there may, on occasion not be a location available to you.

Please note that your instrument will contribute to your luggage allowance where applicable and should be stored in your cabin."

Merely saying that what you do in your cabin is sometimes other people's business.

17 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Luckymal, I take you at your word that your comments are based on fairness. I also understand your logic; if those people who bring their own spirits onboard instead drank in the bars and restaurants, the added volume of business might result in lower prices by Cunard. However, to your point let me make a few comments.

1. This is a hard number to quantify, but I would bet that less than 10% of the passengers bring on more than one bottle each of wine or spirits. 

2. In comparison to any fine restaurant or hotel bar, Cunard's spirit/wine prices are competitive. I doubt that even if carry-on restrictions were imposed and unit sales went up that Cunard prices would go down. Why would they do that instead of making their stockholders happy.

3. Allowing passengers to bring on spirits and wine generates a lot of good will for Cunard. In comparison, just look look at what the airlines are doing. In both cases, once you step on board you become a captive audience. The airlines have chosen to hit their passengers with never ending fees. I really appreciate Cunard's attitude and try to show it by being a loyal customer.

I guess my wife and I are two of those people that PORT ROYAL refers to as Cheapos and would like to see "blocked". He's probably right about me but my wife is a really nice person and I wish he wouldn't say that about her. On our last crossing we brought on board three bottles each, a mix of wine and champagne. It was very easy to do. We bought the wine at the wine store two blocks from the Cunard bus terminal in London before boarding the bus and slipped them into our bags. A transAtlantic crossing on the QM2 is very special for us. One of our favorite things to do is take an hour and a half or more to dress for formal nights and enjoy a bottle of wine while doing so. We also enjoy a glass or two of champagne while dressing for the non-formal nights. We are retired and live on a budget. If we had to buy these six bottles of wine/champagne on board, we probably wouldn't. Even with bringing our own liquor on board, we still drink in the restaurants and bars. Typically we each have a pint of London Pride with lunch at the Golden Lion. There is always a drink while dancing in the evening and usually a nightcap in the Commodore's Club. 

Can any cruiser tell me if you can take drink on American cruises when starting in America? I personally have no idea.

Some US lines allow two bottles of wine (no hard liquor) allowed on board - Celebrity that I know of.  Oceania seems to turn a blind eye as long as you aren't pushing a shopping cart on board

i like having a drink in the room at the end of the day (decent scotch) and don't want to go to the bar for that

Lines are certainly certainly concerned about revenue but also liability.  One or two bottles - ok, you probably aren't standing on the railing.  Showing up with a case is another. story   Some cruise lines are more of a party atmosphere- looking at you Carnival.  Unmonitored drinking on those would be a disaster

The lines evaluate who is their average customer and make choices

3 hours ago, luckymal said:

Can any cruiser tell me if you can take drink on American cruises when starting in America? I personally have no idea.

There is an article with most lines alcohol policy here

Cruise Line Alcohol policy

Hopefully, the rest are a bit more accurate than the Cunard section !

2 hours ago, luckymal said:

Not on Princess. They have a hard fast rule two bottles of wine, no spirits, and they actually check. Not only that they didn't have my preferred spirit to buy by the bottle and consume in my Suite. Last time I will ever travel with them. 

Holland America has a 2-wine rule. Bottles in excess of that have a $15 corkage assessed at check-in and the bottles for which you've paid get a sticker so you don't pay twice if you take that bottle into a restaurant. When we boarded in Seattle I never saw the corkage desk so we ended up paying in the dining room.