Is Sangria considered wine? I

The definition from wikipedia:

Sangria (English: /sæŋˈɡrə/, Portuguese pronunciation: [sɐ̃ˈɡɾi.ɐ]; Spanish: sangría [saŋˈɡɾi.a]) is an alcoholic beverage. A punch, the sangria traditionally consists of red wine and chopped fruit, often with other ingredients such as orange juice or brandy.

I would say not, due to it having other alcohol in it.

24 minutes ago, grsnovi said:

I consider it wine (despite the brandy). I believe that you can purchase it where wine is sold (and spirits aren't). Your best bet would be to check with HAL.

Its considered a liquor rather than  wine....  good luck   even if they sell it in a wine store  its  s "fortified wine"  which is not permitted    

The cheapest way to get liquor on board it to buy bottles for your cabin

Ok  as one who makes Sangria and one who knows Sangria well, I’ll jump into this fray. Mine all have a liquor in them.  Triple Sec or other similar liquors.  But I mostly make white sangria, not red.  I find white more refreshing on a hot day.

Good Sangria usually has a liquor in it but there are weaker ones with no liquor which would not be considered fortified wine.

But, I doubt HAL knows the difference between Sangria with and Sangria without.  Getting a bottle on will be dependent on who is on the wine desk and how flexible they are.

I’ve seen both port and Sangria alllowed and I’ve also seen it refused and stored.  Calling Seattle is useless unless you have something in WRITING printed off saying it is allowed.

I’d forego the Sangria (and the bottled stuff isn’t that great anyways), enjoy the Sangria in port where it is good and just bring on a nice Rioja (red or white) or a Verdeja and enjoy.

We were just on NA and we brought on 9 bottles of wine. We had 4 adults in the group so I paid corkage on 5 bottles. At my request, they just gave me the stickers to put on the bottles later. They did not look at the individual bottles closely though ours were all obviously wine and champagne shaped. Just our experience. We have bought unfortified sangria (just wine and fruit juice) before and it is in screw cap wine bottles. If you want extra umph you could always buy a shot of something and add it in while pouring. 

16 hours ago, grsnovi said:

I consider it wine (despite the brandy). I believe that you can purchase it where wine is sold (and spirits aren't). Your best bet would be to check with HAL.

15 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

It only matters what HAL considers it...

👍👍👍  Good advice.  Since not all Sangria has liquor added to it, be sure to inform the HAL rep exactly which type of Sangria you plan to bring aboard and request written confirm of her/his advice.

Edited by avian777

Bearing in mind that HAL doesn't consider champagne to be wine (KBYG: Each guest 21^ years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage), I'd agree with Kazu that "Getting a bottle on will be dependent on who is on the wine desk and how flexible they are". I'd add "how knowledgeable".

Edited by Fouremco