Superstar Gemini

mummsie

Hi Vera,

I have heard very nice reports about Pacific Princess. I am glad that you enjoyed your cruise and the weather was good to you.

After your move and business details are settled you will indeed be ready for another cruise. Take everything slow and easy.

Regards,

Mike

P.S. Being a westerner, my Chinese New Year partying stopped on the New Year's Eve, but there are still many Chinese who are still celebrating, firecrackers and all.

loved the photos mike, would like to see more. was the cruise full. and is there any chance of upgrade in cabins when onboard. also can you take your own duty free alchohol onboard or is this a no no

thanks hazel

Great photo's, Mike. Would love to see more if possible. My DH and I sailed Gemini in 1997 and 2001 and the photo's bring back such terrific memories of the whole cruise experience. It surely is a unique ship and I can't wait until I get the chance to sail her again.

I have gathered from some of the other posts that she is sailing only partly full - is this the case?

Keep up the regular posts!

Hi Hazel,

Mike and I were discussing the matter of DF in earlier posts, and while it is frowned on by most Cruise lines, it is thought not to be a hanging offence, providing one is discrete about it, wink, wink, nudge, nudge!

We normally take a bottle of Gin and a small bottle of Bitters, then we either get the Tonic on board, and or take a few of cans purchased locally before boarding, the G&T is our method of combating Malaria, well that’s our excuse.:p

We normally pop the DF into our big bags rather than our carry on, which most cruise lines x-ray as you board, I expect they do the same with the big luggage but we have not been asked to explain, well not yet anyway.

Others have been known to put it into an empty soft drink bottle, and another “wag” we met on a cruise prints up his own label that says “Dr Smiths Rubbing Alcohol – for external use only for the relief of arthritis!” I must say that a couple of G&T’s as pre dinner drinks at night, as well as being an oral vaccine for the prevention of Malaria, I’ve not suffered from arthritic pain, so it must be doing some good!:D

I’m sure they know what is going on, I know that I have accidentally left the bottle out, and our lovely house keeper has put it back in the place where I had previously “hidden” it before.:rolleyes:

Anyway don’t worry the worst that will happen is they will confiscate it and give it back when you disembark, keel hauling and the cat of nine tails having long since been taken from the list of on board entertainment.

Regards, Bruce

Hi All,

Been a busy time here too, not much time for the computer............. still alive and well though.

Hazel brings up a good question about onboard upgrades. We got one on a P&O cruise in 1998, would be interested to know what our chances are on the Gemini.....

Yes Bruce, it's getting close, I haven't actually counted the days yet, but we're down to 2 months and bit under 2 weeks, so that's exciting. Haven't done much more about shore excursions, think I might take my chances once on board. It's all getting too hard!! Although we have a better idea of what we'd like to see. We're paid up now too, very excited about Singapore and visiting with my sister, although she's coming over for Easter.

Tracey.

Hi Tracey,

Sent you the info I received from Star Cruises on the Shore Excursions for the full Asian Odyssey Cruise, these will give you some ideas from a Gemini perspective as to when, where and how much.:)

I must say that the prices Star have quoted did surprise me a bit, the Kuching Primates Tour at $105SGD, which is about $90AU, Each seemed a bit steep!:(

It is 7.5 Hours and you get lunch, a run around Kuching and a visit to a Pottery Factory, just what I need another Pottery Factory, but it is the same cost as the 11 hour Tour up to Hanoi, which looks good but don’t know how I’ll go for 11 hours, on the bus, off the bus, on the bus!:p

Will definitely do at least one of the Ha Long Bay Cruises, might even do both, they say it is just a special place.

It would be nice to hear from anyone who had done the Singapore to HK and return via Vietnam cruise last year, any one out there please let us know how it went?

Anyway we will study the form over the weekend and start to firm up on what we want to do, let us know your thoughts?

Regards, Bruce

Hi Everyone,

As requested, here are a few more photos of SuperStar Gemini.

If anyone would be interested in seeing photos of the Suites onboard Gemini just say so and I will post some. I know that the Suites are some areas that many of us do not get the chance to see, unfortunately.:(

Happy cruising to all future Gemini cruisers.

1037777379_StarLounge.jpg.d8966228ab71a6693f5e7667c6e0dcf1.jpg

1482006654_anotherviewofStarLounge.jpg.035ea1da71b435b1b4ab86b60e69bb71.jpg

1536689975_GalaxyoftheStars.jpg.f34a4531ff31c04d10aeebeb3cf6484a.jpg

708643820_Bar-GalaxyoftheStars.jpg.0d7a5ee611eb95d8b91d7d2a6fc06926.jpg

559881754_PrivateKaraokeRoom.jpg.ebb2035ff9a9a1fa6a3d5668582d537b.jpg

Hi Mike

What are you trying to do whetting my appetite to get on the Gemini - it's only eight days since the last cruise ended! Now if I win lotto I think I'd buy a cabin and spend the rest of my days at sea!

Vera

Hi Vera,

Right!,,,,,,,it's only been 8 days for you since your cruise, so you are obviously going through withdrawal:D . The only way to help this condition is to plan and book another cruise. Even your Doctor will tell you this.;)

I'll bet you really do have fabulous memories that you will keep forever. That's great!

Best,

Mike

Hi Hazel,

Attached are photos of the Executive Suite Deck 7 (no balcony), which is really like a small flat/apartment. It has a sit up bar, nice counter in the living room area and a bedroom with window.

Also are photos of the balcony "designer suite."

Enjoy!

Best,

Mike

13151735_ExecutiveSuiteDeck7(nobalcony).jpg.d779b1f92010e1d9fc7c80612e0bc5b7.jpg

205248538_ExecutiveSuiteDeck7.jpg.bad162691b63137b6c677b9c34e27762.jpg

819827480_ExecutiveSuiteBedroom.jpg.6b92ea053ad076c09c51cc6a8edbe51d.jpg

1884955162_BalconySuite.jpg.6657da7c9650b7ffe714629e2e0425ed.jpg

1406200906_BalconySuiteBedroom.jpg.061c12eb25f22a42060dce0d9ba63a86.jpg

WOW, FANTASTIC!!! What a terrific site. My wife and I are taking our first ever cruise in July 2007 and have decided the ship for us is the GEMINI. We are sailing out of Hong Kong (never been there) and the cruise ends in Sigapore (never been there either) and then flying home to Brisbane. Getting excited now 124 days to go.:D

As we like to call ourselves!

Hi Dicky Beach,

I think I know your cousin from Melbourne, Dickey Knee, used to be on “Hey, Hey”, how’s he traveling?:p

Seriously though welcome aboard, I believe you could not have done much better than to choose the Gemini as your first cruise experience, as we did back in the late 90’s, since then we have gone on to bigger and better things, however we have now returned to the Gemini to do the same cruise as you, but the one before in June.

Only 73 days, but who’s counting!;)

Please don’t be afraid to ask lots of questions, and even if they have all been asked before, there is no harm in revisiting them and someone will take the time to answer you, and remember the only “silly” question is the one not asked.

So first visit to HK and Singapore, I’m sure you will just love both, they are right up the top of our favorite places in Asia, especially Singapore.

The only problem with HK of late is the photo chemical smog that comes over from all the factories in mainland China, but unfortunately it’s the same all over Asia now a days, it has seemed to become a fact of life.:(

Are you having a couple of days in HK before you join the Gemini, you should take the opportunity if you can, also a couple of days in Singapore post cruise would be well worth any additional cost, given that you’re there?

Where are you staying, are you doing the Package deal from Aus, at the Majestic in HK and the Park Royal Grand Plaza in Singapore?

Anyway if you want to ask any questions you can e-mail me "BJC49@telstra.com” and I will be happy to answer if I can.

Regards, BJ and Mrs C (Bruce)

Did I tell you 73 days, probably not!:p

Hi Tracey,

I meant to say May/June, and it would be nice to be able to join you for the first half as well, but it's not to be, bugger!;)

Got some info on HK walks in Kowloon, if I havn't already sent them to you, or if you havn't organised your shore excursions yet, let me know?

Don't recall if I mentioned 73 days, could have!!!:p

Regards, Bruce.

Having been to Hong Kong over 10 times since 1969 and arriving on Gemini ex Singapore Wed 30/05/07 I still find Hxg the world's most exciting city. Must do things : Shopping in Kowloon, Temple Street Night Market (Kowloon), Stanley Market (HK Island), Ocean Park (HK Island), Victoria Peak for lunch or at sunset (take the funicular tram up; ask for directions at Star Ferry terminal. ) Dinner at the floating restaurants at Aberdeen (HK Island) they seat thousands, and you go out to them on motorized junks - go after dark.

And of course the cheapest cruise of all the crossing of HK Harbour on the Star Ferry ( Star ferry terminal is right alongside Ocean Terminal where Gemini berths.) The fleet of Star ferries have crossed HK harbour for over a century and will cost you something like 20 c Aus for Second Class., and run every 5 minutes or so. Be wary of tours that include visits to jewellery factories. They spend a lot of time there, the factory portion is miniscule and then you are herded into expansive jewellery showrooms where the tour operator gets his commission from your purchases. If buying jewellery then better buy it in Kowloon for better prices .

Hi Kuldalai,

Thanks for your thoughts, must agree with you, we were lucky that on the only “organized” tour we did on a visit couple of years ago, the young Tour Operator took us to his local Wet Market, out in the New Territories, what an interesting place and upstairs was the dry goods and clothing, where the locals buy, and about a third of the best price on offer in Kowloon!:p

Where do you normally stay in HK, we recon the Salisbury (YMCA) Hotel on the harbor front in Kowloon, right over the road from the Star Ferry Terminal is the best kept secret in HK, and for a couple of hundred a night, a harbor view room has the same view as the thousand dollars a night rooms in the Peninsular Hotel next door, but don’t tell anyone!;)

I see you have found the May / June Asian Odyssey Roll Call, I will respond there, glad to have your lot on board, as Tracey and I were starting to feel a little lonely.

Regards, Bruce

I’ve just read where the Aurora, and other Cruise Ships, have had to cancel their visits to Nah Trang in Vietnam because of the new Vinpearl Cable Car, which runs from Nah Trang harbour to the Vinpearl Tourist Resort on Hon Tre Island, that has just commissioned.

It appears that if a ship is over 50 meters from the waterline to the mast head, given allowances for the tide and wave height, it will not be able to pass under the Cable Car and dock in Nah Trang.

So how tall is the Gemini one must ask, probably one for you Mike, as I’ve looked everywhere and can not find anything, they all tell you length, breadth, gross tonnage and draft, but not height to the mast head?

I remember being in Singapore, and using the Cable Car to Sentosa Island, about a month before the Oil Rig took it out, not a nice thing to happen, and don’t want the same in Nah Trang.

Regards, BJC

For those of you who have been following the goings on at the Nah Trang Port in Vietnam, they have built this Cable Car from the port to the Vinpearl Tourist Resort, that precludes Cruise Ships of over 50M heigh from berthing.:(

There have been a reported number of Cruise Lines who have decided not to risk calling in, as such my concern was for the Gemini, given that Nah Trang is one of her Ports Of Call on the 3 Asian Odyssey Cruises this year.

I managed to get on to the Contract, with specifications, for the lease from Cunard of the Braemar, formally the Crown Dynasty, the sister ship to the Gemini, which was formally the Crown Jewell.

Anyway they are 43.2M to the mast head, so it looks very much like she will fit under the Cable Cars, it should make for some interesting photos as we sail into the harbour.;)

Regards, Bruce

I believe that they have taken the 1.5M average height of the tide into consideration when they set the 50M height restrictions, also the same for the swell, I understand that at the lowest point of the span between pylons, the underside of the cable car is 53M above the water.

Apparently the Aurora, which was the first Cruise Ship to pull out of a visit, is 49.5M however the Captain decided that he did not want to risk his ship.

Quite frankly I don’t blame him, they probably measured the 53M when the cable car was empty, a few big tourists and it might just sag another couple of meters!:p

Anyway it looks like the Gemini will be OK.:)

Regards, BJC

Good looks like GEMINI will get under the limbo stick. STAR will have sorted that all out on their simulator.

Remember sailing into Sydney Harbour Aus on Superstar LEO in 2004 (now Norwegian Spirit) and the Captain told us they would have just 2 m clearance under the Sydney Harbour bridge and that it had all been dry run with the simulator at assumed high tide. When we went under it was damn tight and cerainly right on the expected 2 m . (As the Captain said if they got in wrong in Head Office, then I will make interesting headlines in the Daily Telegraph next morning !).

Cable cars over water enter all sorts of variables; state of the tides, heat extremes (the cable will sag more on very hot days through expansion), and the loadings of individual cars, number of cars per span etc .

Will popular Scot Colin Kerr be Cruise Director on SS Gemini Asian Oddysey departing Singapore 20/05/07 ? Thought I saw something that he was back from a stint with NCL and doing a stint on Gemini along with rotations over SS Virgo and on shore duties in Asia as Senior Cruise Director for Stars Asian operations . Any info appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh well............. there goes our fantasy of having the ship to ourselves till we hit Hong Kong!!! Ha Ha.

Welcome Kuldalai and your travelling party.

Looking forward to the limbo in Nha Trang Bruce, sounds like fun!!!

Tracey.