Oahu, Kauai, Maui, Big Island farmers' markets-flowers?

fann1sh

I'm hoping to squeeze in a visit to a  farmers' market on our cruise, or perhaps a visit to a grocery store or florist to get local flowers.  I've bought flowers while  on a cruise ship in past, and *DO KNOW*  that even if I buy them, it will depend on the ship's officer on duty at the gangway whether |I'm allowed to bring them aboard HAL Eurodam.  Either way, I'll still have had the chance to see them, and briefly own them.

My roommate is a master gardener, who claims there is "no such thing as boring plant material", which of course includes fruit and vegetables along with flowers.

We will visit Oahu on Tuesday, Feb 26, and have a private driver out of Honolulu who knows about my roommate's motto. 

Our other port stops are Wednesday on Kauai (Nawiliwili), Thursday on Maui (Lahaina)  the Friday and Saturday on the Big Island, first Kona then Hilo. 

I know Saturday, March 2 is a day for the Hilo farmer's market for fruit and vegetables.    Is it too early in the season  for star apple?  What's likely to be in season? 

And other recommendations?  I've also read sometimes the local Foodland is the best place for reasonable local flowers? 

On Oahu, Chinatown is a great place to get fresh flowers.  The farmer's markets I usually go to on Oahu are usually on the weekend.  You can google farmer's markets on Oahu and find something that works with your Tuesday visit.

I don't know about star apple,  is it different from star fruit?  We love star fruit.  Often at Akaka Falls there are star fruit for sale but I cannot remember if it is as early as March.  The Hilo farmer's market is a great place.  When I am staying in Hilo I always go for flowers and vegetables.  Friends who have been on cruises stopping in Hilo have not had a problem bringing fresh flowers back on board.  The Safeway also has good produce. There is a telephone number to call for the farmer's market and they can give you more details.  Enjoy!!!!  Cherie   

On 2/13/2019 at 6:35 PM, fann1sh said:

Cherie, I watched this vid about the Hilo farmer's market -  and was hooked

We have bought flowers at the farmer's market before.  They came in a large bucket for the price of a small bunch at home.  No problem taking them on the ship-but you can't take them off.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fann1sh said:

Thanks!  I had problems with flowers only once, bringing on.  Glad for reminder can't take them off, thanks again. 

In Kailua Kona there is a public market walking distance from the pier. You can get some beautiful flowers there. 

e40266331c8d419f0a509e320556da11.jpg

We picked up these on one of our cruise stops 

flowers.thumb.jpg.14bfcc8da60117424e5e4be0aceddcc4.jpg

Edited by PCWalton1

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

Stay away from Chinatown. Area is very shady and full of homeless people.

There are many tourists and Oahu residents that go to Chinatown.  If Op is planning on going over to look for flowers at 3 a.m. I might say stay away.  A really fun time in Chinatown is the First Friday Art Walk in Chinatown, held the first Friday of every month.  I respectfully disagree with sfaaa that you should never go to Chinatown in Honolulu.  Cherie

So do I. I haven’t been to Chinatown in about 27 years or so. However, I have been to many places in the world and repeatedly have seen such warnings about all sorts of places. Most of the time it is a lack of actual personal experience and knowledge and the people that say those things either have never actually been in the location themselves, or might have been unfortunate and had a bad experience.  I am sure the person who posted the advice was well-meaning, but  such a blanket statement about a place is usually not totally accurate. 

sfaaa, thanks for the info about the flower vases. We once did a cruise out of Tahiti. Right near the port there is a huge market in mini mini cruisers buy fresh flowers for their cabins there. Only those come already arranged and in some sort of a container. Our cabin had such a beautiful smell and the flowers lasted the whole cruise! The type of arrangement I bought would have cost five times that for such exotic flowers had I bought them at home.

Edited by mlbcruiser