Haven First Time (w/ kids) - Questions!

ggooglyboogly

Good Morning Everyone! 

Was upgraded into the Haven this morning for my Getaway cruise in 9 days!  It'll be my 6 month old son's first cruise and my 3 year old's 5th*.  I just have a couple of questions:

1. With the aforementioned kids - I don't want to be ruining people's nights in specialty restaurants, so would it be possible to get ocean blue / cagneys delivered in my room?

2. I have UBP - can the butler stock my fridge with beers, or do I have to get them two at a time from the Haven bar?

3. Do the butlers do anything special for kids?  I think I heard they bring toys?  Not sure if it was NCL or not.

4. Any tips to getting the most out of my Haven experience would be appreciated!  

*If you're on my sailing don't worry - we wont have the kiddos taking over the courtyard area, we'll be buy the kids pool during the day! 

You can get food from any specialty restaurant delivered to your stateroom. Just talk to your butler the day before you want to do it and s/he will take care of it.

The problem with the Haven is that once you do it, you never want to go back to regular cabins. 😉

Have a great time!

Edited by TrueNorth74

You can have your butler serve from any of the specialty restaurants. 

Anything stocked in the fridge would be charged and not part of the UBP.

Let your butler know what the kids would like and I'm sure you will be pleased. 

The Haven restaurant is our favorite part of the Haven, enjoy it!

Bon Voyage

Truenorth / Valley - appreciate  the info!

I've cruised NCL all my life and have become quite attached to some of the specialty restaurants so it's really nice that I can have them delivered to the room and have a nice dinner in private!

I have eaten in the Haven restaurant on a prior cruise for dinner and it was fantastic, the breakfast and lunch menus look nice as well.  

•  

1. With the aforementioned kids - I don't want to be ruining people's nights in specialty restaurants, so would it be possible to get ocean blue / cagneys delivered in my room?   Yes you can and it will be charged to your dining plan ( ocean blue has a $10 upcharge)

2. I have UBP - can the butler stock my fridge with beers, or do I have to get them two at a time from the Haven bar?

If the butler stocks your fridge it is not covered by the beverage pkg. I have always just gone to the Haven bar and stocked up on my beer. If you order from the courtyard valet it is covered under UBP

3. Do the butlers do anything special for kids?  I think I heard they bring toys?  Not sure if it was NCL or not.

I haven't heard of toys. But there is a concierge phone number you can call and get the amenities form- sometimes it is hit or miss if it gets filled. On the 1st day when you meet your Butler he will ask you if there is anything special you would like when they bring around your afternoon snacks to the room. PBJ for the litte ones, potato chips etc if its on the ship they do try to accommodate you. Concierage #1-855-625-4283

4. Any tips to getting the most out of my Haven experience would be appreciated!  

Like someone else said --once you stay in the Haven you are hooked. You truly get spoiled there. The staff are wonderful. Once you get to your room there will be letters there for you informing you of the cocktail party in the Haven with the Captain. Its a nice little event. Kids go as well.

*If you're on my sailing don't worry - we wont have the kiddos taking over the courtyard area, we'll be buy the kids pool during the day! 

I personally don't think it is a problem with the children in the Haven. Many time there are families with children there and it is fine.

Edited by tumblew467

Regarding speciality dining you could always ask to see any restaurant menu in the Haven restaurant. That way you can sit in a restaurant with your family without feeling uncomfortable. They will charge whatever speciality you have on your card.

There's been times when my partner and I don't want to eat from the same menu and found that the haven restaurant can accommodate to our request. You will be informed the dishes will take longer but that is because it comes from a different kitchen. However we never saw that as a problem. 

Is in-suite butler dining quicker? I’ve heard that dining in the specialty restaurants (even in the MDR) can take 60-90 minutes. 

What about ordering from two different specialty restaurants? Or will that make them hate me?

Edited by tomservo
Additional question

14 hours ago, ggooglyboogly said:

That’s your best bet. You should be able to ask for them unopened then just stock up your fridge. Unfortunately room service or butlered drinks are not included in the UBP.  If you have no interest in the items in the mini-fridge you can put in request with the pre-cruise concierge to clear out the fridge, or you can have your butler do it on embarkation day. 

17 hours ago, tumblew467 said:

•  

1. With the aforementioned kids - I don't want to be ruining people's nights in specialty restaurants, so would it be possible to get ocean blue / cagneys delivered in my room?   Yes you can and it will be charged to your dining plan ( ocean blue has a $10 upcharge)

If the butler stocks your fridge it is not covered by the beverage pkg. I have always just gone to the Haven bar and stocked up on my beer. If you order from the courtyard valet it is covered under UBP

I haven't heard of toys. But there is a concierge phone number you can call and get the amenities form- sometimes it is hit or miss if it gets filled. On the 1st day when you meet your Butler he will ask you if there is anything special you would like when they bring around your afternoon snacks to the room. PBJ for the litte ones, potato chips etc if its on the ship they do try to accommodate you. Concierage #1-855-625-4283

Like someone else said --once you stay in the Haven you are hooked. You truly get spoiled there. The staff are wonderful. Once you get to your room there will be letters there for you informing you of the cocktail party in the Haven with the Captain. Its a nice little event. Kids go as well.

I personally don't think it is a problem with the children in the Haven. Many time there are families with children there and it is fine.

Thank you!  Appreciate all the good info.  

37 minutes ago, ggooglyboogly said:

Yins / Tom - Thanks!  The no sushi delivery makes sense, i guess i'll have to make my way down there during the cruise.  The tough part for me will be choosing between the sushi and the tuna crudo / black bass ceviche at the raw bar next door haha.  

If you do get Ocean Blue or any other specialty restaurants delivered to the room, let us know how that goes. I was thinking of doing the same thing for similar reasons (young kids). 

You will love it......especially having the extra room with your kids.  Being in the Haven, you should have access to “On-Demand” movies as well.....this can be very helpful with children!  Your butler will probably make sure you have lots of Gummy Bears also!  Enjoy!

10 hours ago, Luvmypups said:

You will love it......especially having the extra room with your kids.  Being in the Haven, you should have access to “On-Demand” movies as well.....this can be very helpful with children!  Your butler will probably make sure you have lots of Gummy Bears also!  Enjoy!

I saw another review that mentioned the movies!  That will be awesome!  Reminds me of our last cruise (which was on Disney) that had all the old Disney movies on demand.  

16 hours ago, ggooglyboogly said:

I saw another review that mentioned the movies!  That will be awesome!  Reminds me of our last cruise (which was on Disney) that had all the old Disney movies on demand.  

From past experience, it is from 75-100 movies on demand and free for haven.  You can pause and come back later just like DCL but nowhere as vast and diverse as  DCL.

With kids in the Haven, we found it best to have the butler come by early (6 am) and drop off coffee for me as I don’t sleep in and then bring more coffee and hot chocolate for the kids later.  As it sounds like your kids will be up early, do the opposite and get food for them early (Cheerios and fruit etc) and have easy mornings.  You still can eat at the restaurant but will defuse the need to eat right away.

We sailed with our granddaughter on the Getaway when she was 4.  She was catered to by all the staff in the Haven area. She was called princess and gave hugs to the staff when she walked through.   Every night when we picked her up from the kids club my DH would take her into the restaurant for ice cream before bed.  The butler brought her peanut butter and jelly or spaghetti every night so we could feed her before we dropped her off at the kids club and enjoyed our own dinner.  

You will love the Haven and the kids will be spoiled rotten! 

You are going to have an amazing time!   Once we started sailing in the Haven, we haven't looked back, although we are booked on an MSC "Yacht Club" trip over the holiday, so will be doing some comparing.

I have always been sensitive to the times my kids will behave in restaurants, and we did plenty of room service as well so as not to cause disruption to others while traveling. My youngest was especially loud 😉   

Our last trip on Getaway was over the holiday; details and pictures here:  https://gotravellife.com/2018/01/03/about-us/   I have pictures of the Haven restaurant menus, as well as other specialty restaurants.   We have always had extra attention from the butler, whether it's specific snacks you want brought (for some reason my daughter settled on Potato chips one trip,and they left chips EVERY day for her!), or asking to have your own pitcher of ice tea in the fridge (which they did for us when we asked).   They really do work hard to spoil you silly.

The Haven bar is just down the hall (really), so we had no issue having one of pop down to pick up whatever we wanted to drink, and with the UBP, made the decision to have the French Martini all the easier.

Hopefully this is helpful!

Having your kids at the restaurant in the haven for breakfast or lunch shouldn't be an issue.  The same menu is served inside and outside, so outdoor seating might be the way to go as it is a little less formal.  There are quick items in both places (fruit, breads, tea/coffee outside, those plus yogurt, cereal, milk etc inside)  Service also seems to be pretty quick for breakfast, so little ones can handle sitting for that amount of time probably.  Lunch outside is very informal and there is a limited menu of sandwiches and burgers.  While the restaurant is quite small, the menu in the restaurant is more extensive (and fabulous), so if your children can tolerate a meal that's about an hour long, they should be fine.  As long as the children aren't crying or running around, no one should have any complaints.  There were more overly loud adults than children when we were there last week.  Often, the same people who complain when children are too loud are the same adults who are completely oblivious to their own volume.  I find the latter to be much more irritating, as they should be able to control themselves better than a child.  Dinner might be a bit tricky...as I said, the restaurant is small, so there isn't really a place you can go that would keep you from disturbing others if your children were crying or restless.  Dinners are still a fairly long affair, usually 1-1.5 hours if you choose multiple courses.  If your children are going to the clubs, you could easily feed them early then enjoy a quiet dinner in the haven.  We never had to wait for a table no matter when we showed up.  Oh, and the food in the haven put the specialty restaurants to shame.