Upper Deck Solarium

HeavySeaman

46 minutes ago, HeavySeaman said:

Does the upper deck solarium cost extra on MSC? If so, do you get free drinks or something for the extra cost?

Depends. Some categories come with that benefit. Steerage must pay - if they must go at all (haha).

19 hours ago, SeaTheW0rld said:

The costs are for those that don't have it included (Aurea and Wellness).  Disappointed that  many have posted this not an adults-only area. 

solar.jpg

Capture.PNG

We have very kindly been ‘upgraded’ to Wellness (long story) but presume this is yet another perk we are not entitled to 😏😠

14 hours ago, cruiser man 60 said:

Are the Rattan sun beds free to use for Aurea guests or just the ordinary sun beds?

Just the ordinary sunbeds included for Aurea guests. A very nice pool attendent allowed us to use them on a Divina sailing a couple of years ago as the solarium was very quiet.  I appreciated the shade but In all honestly, they weren't as comfortable as they look! 

There is a retractable roof pool that is called the jungle pool and it is open to anyone on the ship. The Top 19 is a sundeck for Aurea guest (yacht club may use it also) and it has loungers, a bar, and hot tubs. Then there is the Yacht club sundeck which may only be used by yacht club guest and it has a pool, hot tubs, a bar, and a buffet, loungers, and cabanas.

3 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

Really? It was called a “Solarium”. The Solarium on RCCL and Celebrity is an indoor pool. I assumed this was the same. 

I guess “Solarium” got lost in translation. In German language Solarium means “tanning studio” but the word Solarium was first used in ancient Greek for a sun lounge area such as terrace or patio. The word Solarium has “Sol” (sun) in it. MSC using Solarium to describe a open air sun deck is kind of o.k. , even in the YC some areas are marked Sundeck and some areas are marked Solarium on the deck plan.

39 minutes ago, SirWolf said:

I guess “Solarium” got lost in translation. In German language Solarium means “tanning studio” but the word Solarium was first used in ancient Greek for a sun lounge area such as terrace or patio. The word Solarium has “Sol” (sun) in it. MSC using Solarium to describe a open air sun deck is kind of o.k. , even in the YC some areas are marked Sundeck and some areas are marked Solarium on the deck plan.

A language lesson wasn’t necessary here especially seeing that the word has a Latin origin not Greek. Anyway, in English the word generally refers to a room built largely of glass that provides exposure to the sun. On NCL and RCCL the Solarium is a pool area with a glass roof. This MSC Solarium area is right next to the glass roof of an indoor pool. I assumed incorrectly that the pool area there was the Solarium based on what other cruise lines offer. I don’t think it was that out of left field for someone not intimately familiar with these ships to have made that wrong assumption.

2 hours ago, mizzoufinal4 said:

There is a retractable roof pool that is called the jungle pool and it is open to anyone on the ship. The Top 19 is a sundeck for Aurea guest (yacht club may use it also) and it has loungers, a bar, and hot tubs. Then there is the Yacht club sundeck which may only be used by yacht club guest and it has a pool, hot tubs, a bar, and a buffet, loungers, and cabanas.

Thank you. I mistakenly thought the Jungle Pool was part of this Solarium area.

7 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

A language lesson wasn’t necessary here especially seeing that the word has a Latin origin not Greek.

My answer was not meant to be a language lesson, I apologize if you think it was. MSC translates some words into English which are commonly not used. They use Sundeck and Solarium for areas with the same use.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

A language lesson wasn’t necessary here especially seeing that the word has a Latin origin not Greek. Anyway, in English the word generally refers to a room built largely of glass that provides exposure to the sun. On NCL and RCCL the Solarium is a pool area with a glass roof. This MSC Solarium area is right next to the glass roof of an indoor pool. I assumed incorrectly that the pool area there was the Solarium based on what other cruise lines offer. I don’t think it was that out of left field for someone not intimately familiar with these ships to have made that wrong assumption.

Well, there's your problem right there. MSC is Italian.  I found many fun things like this on Costa. 

I will be sailing on Seaside and will not be Aurea or YC. Alas, we will be the lowly Bella passenger lol. Anyway, is there a decent amount of lounge chairs and any semi private areas away from the hustle and bustle where my wife and I can relax and maybe read a book? We found a spot near the library on Divina that was great for this. Any suggestions?

8 minutes ago, cruisequeenbella said:

Hi

Does the thermal spa pass for the entire cruise get you access to the top deck 18 on Splendida or do you have to pay for that extra on top of the thermal pass. Thanks in advance. 

Sue.

It's an extra charge.