Culinary or cooking classes in Cozumel?

I asked this question on the port section of Cozumel, but got no responses. We did a ships excursion in Cozumel several years ago, at Playa Mia.  It was excellent and one of our favorite excursions.

We are interested in doing another one this trip.  The ship still offers this one, but we would like to try another one.  Anyone have one they would recommend?

Deb

If you’re interested, there’s the Kaokao Chocolate Factory tour at Cozumel. We did the first one of the day there a year ago and it was fun and not too expensive. It was an $8 cab ride to the factory, where we spent about an hour seeing how they make rustic chocolate. We also got to make our own and sample some of their goods. They called another cab for us and we were back at the Port in time for our other beach excursion. 

My friends and I booked a cooking class with Cozumel Chef. First, Josephina has you look through her cookbooks for things you want to prepare. Then you will walk a couple of blocks to the neighborhood open-air market to buy the ingredients for your chosen dishes. Back to her home to prepare everything- then the feast! Many dishes- even homemade tortillas. My friends did the cooking- I was a non-cooking guest. Went to the market with them and then she invited me to sit in her backyard garden for 2 hours while they cooked- then was invited back in for the wonderful lunch. Can't wait to do this again-this time as a 'chef' at her home. 

Edited by Twinswithtwins
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TinkBellaMom said:

I asked this question on the port section of Cozumel, but got no responses. We did a ships excursion in Cozumel several years ago, at Playa Mia.  It was excellent and one of our favorite excursions.

We are interested in doing another one this trip.  The ship still offers this one, but we would like to try another one.  Anyone have one they would recommend?

Deb

We did that cooking class several times in the past....loved it!! 🙂   Unfortunately when the resort changed hands, and turned it into more of a theme park type atmosphere...the cooking class went downhill.  The entertaining and talented chefs quit and the new class was not the same, plus cheapened up a lot.  We have not been back since.  😞 

1 hour ago, Twinswithtwins said:

My friends and I booked a cooking class with Cozumel Chef. First, Josephina has you look through her cookbooks for things you want to prepare. Then you will walk a couple of blocks to the neighborhood open-air market to buy the ingredients for your chosen dishes. Back to her home to prepare everything- then the feast! Many dishes- even homemade tortillas. My friends did the cooking- I was a non-cooking guest. Went to the market with them and then she invited me to sit in her backyard garden for 2 hours while they cooked- then was invited back in for the wonderful lunch. Can't wait to do this again-this time as a 'chef' at her home. 

We highly recommend this on too.

Kondesa gets good reviews too but we have yet to try it.

58 minutes ago, island lady said:

We did that cooking class several times in the past....loved it!! 🙂   Unfortunately when the resort changed hands, and turned it into more of a theme park type atmosphere...the cooking class went downhill.  The entertaining and talented chefs quit and the new class was not the same, plus cheapened up a lot.  We have not been back since.  😞 

That’s too bad.  My husband went with me just because I was really excited about it.  He ended up loving it and suggested we do it again this time.  The chefs were so fun, I can’t imagine he would enjoy it as much without them.

I found the other two mentioned here on Tripadvisor and I will discuss them with him, they both look very nice.