Butler/Concierge Gift

jennie313

We are thinking of giving a small gift to our butler and/or concierge for our upcoming cruise when we meet them. We thought about bringing some sort of candy or trinket from our home state, but want to give them something they'll enjoy. What are some good gift ideas to give that they will appreciate?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by jennie313

6 minutes ago, jennie313 said:

We are thinking of giving a small gift to our butler and/or concierge for our upcoming cruise when we meet them. We thought about bringing some sort of candy or trinket from our home state, but want to give them something they'll enjoy. What are some good gift ideas to give that they will appreciate?

Thanks in advance.

If you are going to do it, I would wait to give it to them at the end of the cruise, because by then you can find out if they want candy or a trinket.  My guess is, even though they won't tell you, they would rather have cash than something they might not want or need.

While a gift may be thoughtful, think of how many tokens of appreciation they may receive and consider that all those gifts will take up a lot of space in their shared cabins.  Cash however doesn’t take up all that much space.  As they are working to support themselves and families, it will go a long way towards that goal.

• Thanks 1

It's difficult to buy a gift for someone you don't know.

You don't know their likes, their dislikes.  What about allergies?  And religious restrictions, if any.

And I'm not sure why they would want something from your home state.

So,  maybe by the end of the cruise you might know them well enough to give them something they might like. 

But a cash tip is probably the best.

Perhaps get a greeting card with photos of your state and put the cash inside. We usually leave our tips in a card with a message of gratitude. If they want to toss the card, doesn't hurt my feelings. But I know sometimes reading how you helped is meaningful for some people (in addition to the comment cards we fill out)

My mom and I have been good tippers.  But I have a funny story.  My mom, who I lost in 2017 was all about comfort.   

I was surprised when I saw she brought some cute new black shoes with a tiny block heel, as she had worn flats for years.   The first night she wore the shoes to dinner and complained all night. So the next afternoon when our butler came to the room she looked at her and said "what size shoe do you wear?"  And the butler answered "8 1/2" and my mom said "me too".  My mom said to her "would you like those shoes over there?   I've only worn them once". The Butler's eyes opened wide and she said "yes please"!  The next day she had them on.  

I am sure she enjoyed her tip as well.   I always say "cash is "one size fits all"!

Edited by DMH15

2 hours ago, LD Silver said:

I usually go with a Mercedes-Benz - CLS550 Coupe.  They seem to appreciate it.

I was thinking about gifting a puppy. It was my first thought and I usually go with that. 

Edited by LinnieRed
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, hominid said:

Perhaps get a greeting card with photos of your state and put the cash inside. We usually leave our tips in a card with a message of gratitude. If they want to toss the card, doesn't hurt my feelings. But I know sometimes reading how you helped is meaningful for some people (in addition to the comment cards we fill out)

I do the same for all of the crew who were special.

I bring the "Thank You" cards with me and along with the cash write something special that they did and how  much it added to our enjoyment of the cruise.

Don:classic_rolleyes: 

20 hours ago, hominid said:

This is a lovely idea. Makes me want to add a couple of photo cards to the thank you box. So, thank you!

23 hours ago, hominid said:

Love this idea.  I had planned on just palming them the cash (first time Haven stay) but this allows me to express my feelings as well as my appreciation.  Besides, I'm out of Mercedes as I gave my last one away.😉 Thanks. 

Edited by Aesop081