Door magnets!

I was planning on making some door magnets but I know I will run out of time.  Thank you for mentioning Etsy. I found a customizable porthole design I liked and ordered 8 of them for our group.  Yes, I’m paying a lot more for them, but the relief of not having to make them is worth it! I’m now a happy camper.

1 hour ago, vacationlover_mn said:

I may have to get these and try that 🙂

76FB3C98-17D0-4644-9674-65CBBF9FC521.jpeg

In 2017 my boss at the time was stuck on a cruise about a week longer than planned due to a hurricane - I helpfully decorated her office to look just like she was on board with fun decals and clings so the entire office had "railings" around the walls - I didn't want her to miss being at sea 🙂  All supplies were from Amazon.

She loved it lol, but I think she also loved NOT still being at sea 🙂

Look at WalMart, Michael’s, Hobby Lobby scrapbooking section. They have several larger scrapbook cut-outs in tropical and cruising themes.  Stick on tissue paper and tear off or cut off the excess.  Glue magnet(s) on back.

The only thing that I have ever had disappear from my door was a single letter from “Happy Easter”.  I’m inclined to think it wasn’t stuck well, fell off and went traveling on someone’s shoe. I started decorating my door every cruise some 20 years ago and have a goodly supply of seasonal door decor.  For our upcoming cruise I have both Mardi Gras and St Patrick’s.

I wanted to give a shout out to Cynthia Young Designs on Etsy.  I placed an order on February 18 with her for 8 door magnets for our group and they arrived today, just 3 days later! I love them! They are much nicer than anything I could have made.

And thanks to the CC members who suggested looking on Etsy to begin with! 

C914457E-F244-4FCF-BEC5-2527799DB829.jpeg

• Like 3

Ok crafty people... one more question....

i bought awesome magnetic sheets from amazon with adhesive on one side.  I’m going to put scrapbook paper on the adhesive side, and my cute stickers on the paper.

What is the best thing to cut out my magnets with a nice soft curve?  Just sharp scissors, or is there something better?

Thx again everyone!  Finished up buying my supplies today, and made my first batch of magnets.  Love them!  Including the scissors, total cost is approx $20, and I still have over 10 sheets of magnets and plenty of cute paper left 🙂. Cute paper is 4 for $1 at hobby lobby right now 🙂

C19ADF30-9C93-482B-A33E-AB87F8891FBC.jpeg

Edited by vacationlover_mn
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Phil_G said:

silly noob question....are all ship doors steel? i'm going on Mariner in a few weeks for a cooperate thing and thinking about doing door magnets for my group

Magnets work on the stateroom doors, walls, and ceiling.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Phil_G said:

silly noob question....are all ship doors steel? i'm going on Mariner in a few weeks for a cooperate thing and thinking about doing door magnets for my group

As bob said, many things are steel!  We love to use our magnets on the wall to hold things like the compass, our tickets for stuff, hoodies and caps 🙂

On 2/18/2019 at 3:00 PM, BecciBoo said:

You can also go to Michael's or Hobby Lobby and buy stickers...lots of cute tropical and cruise ones, then stick them to a sheet or roll of the flat magnets, also there, and cut them out.  I love those stickers.

That’s what I do. Buy the magnet sheets(5 x 7 I think) and then go to the scrapbooking section and buy stickers to put on the magnet sheet.

We have a Michael’s close by, so that’s where I go.

Print your own on plain paper.  I buy the self-stick magnetic tape dispenser at Walmart.  Really easy and anything can then be a magnet.  I've used on very many cruises with no problems.