Ever increasing sales pressure?

lisiamc

There seems to be some confusion here about the complaints made by OP and me. Speaking only for myself, I don't mind being asked if I want to upgrade a BP or reserve a specialty dining experience as I walk by. I DO mind, being badgered after I've said no to the same person multiple times within less than 5 minutes as I continue walking and being followed from one end of the ship to the other. I DO mind being awakened from a nap poolside, being interrupted from enjoying a meal, not once but multiple times by a rude crew member who refuses to accept that NO is an answer, albeit not one he wanted. I DO mind being yelled at that I don't understand the value of the offer. If I want to reserve specialty dining I'll do so. I don't need enticement, bargains, and I certainly don't need badgering or harassment. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

There seems to be some confusion here about the complaints made by OP and me. Speaking only for myself, I don't mind being asked if I want to upgrade a BP or reserve a specialty dining experience as I walk by. I DO mind, being badgered after I've said no to the same person multiple times within less than 5 minutes as I continue walking and being followed from one end of the ship to the other. I DO mind being awakened from a nap poolside, being interrupted from enjoying a meal, not once but multiple times by a rude crew member who refuses to accept that NO is an answer, albeit not one he wanted. I DO mind being yelled at that I don't understand the value of the offer. If I want to reserve specialty dining I'll do so. I don't need enticement, bargains, and I certainly don't need badgering or harassment. 

Very well said!!  Agree with every word.

On 2/18/2019 at 8:56 PM, BPCW said:

Spent a week on Equinox last month and we got asked at least 10 times on the first day if we wanted to upgrade our drink package.  Maybe 5-6 times on the second day. It gets REALLY annoying telling them (and showing them our seapass) we already have it. Didn’t get hit with the specialty dining hustle and the upgraded drink package people were much, much less after day 2.  Still super annoying though - we already paid $2,500 for a cruise, not sure why they think hounding people over and over (and for people like us who already upgraded prior to boarding) is a good tactic. 

Very similar to our cruise last week on the Equinox except we got asked at least 30 times the first day. 10 times just entering the buffet. It was our first Celebrity experience. I felt bad for the staff because you could tell they were being forced or incentives were high enough to make them act out of character .  It was dog eat dog to get our attention. Too bad because that same staff tries so hard to make us happy during the cruise. It was very odd to me. Not a good first impression. 

45 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

I can confirm that you are not exaggerating. 

I find it very sad that this appears to be the new normal. In the early days of specialty dining (back when it was $15-$20) I can remember being asked politely and then left alone. Over the past year it seems to have escalated to a level that is unacceptable to many. I hope those who are as bothered by this behavior speak up to the hotel managers, and in post cruise surveys and letters.  

8 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

I find it very sad that this appears to be the new normal. In the early days of specialty dining (back when it was $15-$20) I can remember being asked politely and then left alone. Over the past year it seems to have escalated to a level that is unacceptable to many. I hope those who are as bothered by this behavior speak up to the hotel managers, and in post cruise surveys and letters.  

Getting yelled at and followed is unbelievable.  Like Freddie said at the Botton of the previous page, just offer whatever deals there are to be had, pre-cruise.  If I paid $60 in advance, and find out that someone else haggled it down to $30, I'm going to feel fairly ripped off.  Next time, why the heck would I pre-purchase?