First time cruiser - check-in questions

arbanks51504

My husband and I are going on our first cruise in May. We are going to Alaska on HAL. My question is, we did not pre-pay our gratuities so I understand they will be charged as we are checking in. Are there any other charges we need to be aware of? I know the gratuities is 14.50 a day. Is that all I need to plan for (we aren't purchasing a drink package or anything like that) that is automatically charged in check-in?

Perhaps as this question is specific to HAL you could also post it on that board here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/103-holland-america-line/

But I agree with OCruisers in that gratuities that are not prepaid are charged daily to your on board account.  Not familiar with them being charged at check in.  But maybe that is something unique to HAL.

They will usually charge your gratuities on the second day or so and then add each day on and so forth...and expect them to be paid at the end of the cruise. 

A grat charge will be added to each drink you purchase. Around 15-18%.

Essentially you don't pay anything at check in but they will take your card details/check them for your onboard account.

Your gratuities will be charged to your account on a daily basis and will accumulate along with anything else you may purchase onboard.  Drinks, specialty restaurants, sundries, gift items, etc.  You can track your account and your CC will be charged at the end of the cruise.  It is a good idea to check it a day or two before the cruise ends.  If you question an item it is easier to do it then rather than waiting until the last moment when the line at the cruise service desk will get quite long.