New Cruiser - extra charges?

arbanks51504

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 7:23 PM, Roz said:

Be aware that HAL will put a $60 per day hold on your card.  For this reason, a lot of us prefer to use a credit card rather than a debit card.

Roz

They put a hold on credit cards, too. Otherwise, they would face the possibility that, at the end of the cruise, there would not be enough credit line to pay for the onboard purchases.

The difference is that most people have enough "headroom" on their credit limit that this does not pose a problem when trying to use the same card to make onshore purchases.

With a debit card, people have found that bills that are automatically paid from their checking account have been denied because the hold reduces the available balance in the account. This is especially problematic if the auto-payment is something really important and large, such as your mortgage payment.

36 minutes ago, noblepa said:

They put a hold on credit cards, too. Otherwise, they would face the possibility that, at the end of the cruise, there would not be enough credit line to pay for the onboard purchases.

The difference is that most people have enough "headroom" on their credit limit that this does not pose a problem when trying to use the same card to make onshore purchases.

With a debit card, people have found that bills that are automatically paid from their checking account have been denied because the hold reduces the available balance in the account. This is especially problematic if the auto-payment is something really important and large, such as your mortgage payment.

That was the point I was trying to make.  Holds are put on credit cards, but it doesn't put the hold against "real" cash in your checking account.

Roz

On 2/20/2019 at 8:20 AM, rucrazy said:

It may take a week or longer just so you know...Even when we use a Credit Card Authorizations may last for 10 days or so..

So if that could be a concern you may want to see about pre paying all you can...and supply a cash deposit on embarkation for any day to day purchases ...

PLEASE...DO NOT BRING CASH or A Debit card if you ever, ever plan to travel, cruise, fly anywhere.   If you use either you will be literally throwing money down the toilet..     WHY?     Well there are excellent Affinity credit cards from Chase for AA and UAL and Marriott hotels etc  that give you points or miles that your regular expenditures  add up over time  and dont expire and can be used to , after a few years to fly free,   Or  get  free hotel rooms.  Imagine flying to Australia or Europe or Hong Kong for $5.60  in a $3000 business class seat !! 

And you can build these miles/points not just from travel  but from everything from Groceries, Gum, Phone bill, Insurance..Taxes....  NOT just from travel but from every penny  you spend.!!!

Why would you not want a better return on your money that you worked hard for.?        Some say its too hard... but once they try they are amazed.  After a few years , just from  what you normal spend you will have earned so much more !   The best time to start is today and yesterday.        I started decades ago... and   have not paid for a hotel or ai;rplane ticket... and in Business  in years... ! 

When you spend cash you get nothing and paying in advance means your giving HAL  an interest free loan .  Instead get a good credit card   where you take the exact same cash and payoff not HAL  but your Credit card interest free and some 20 to 30 days after the cruise   a free loan to you !   ... You get nothing in return with cash or debit card.... until you spend you balance   ZIP...  NO benefit .  than you could have got. with a credit card..... NONE.

Every way  you loose with cash and debit.  Only the bank and HAL wins.....   Plus if you use your credit card overseas you can bankers rate exchange than without it you can not.   You have insurance on everything you purchased cruise fare, products, tours, the works.

Think about it your future is in your hands  dont loose your opportunity

I totally agree Hawaiidan! I got a fancy chase card a few years ago, the bonus points for signing up/meeting the spending requirement helped jumpstart a trip to Europe last August. Husband and I flew business class (flat bed seats!) both ways for only about $200 in taxes/fees and points. Husband's company also puts him up in IHG brand hotels a lot, so we ended up getting their card as well, on that same trip stayed 5 point-purchased nights including one at a pretty fancy hotel in London. We don't have a HAL branded card, but our cruise cost will get us double points per dollar for spending on a travel category. There are some cards that get you more... I love using credit cards, but you have to be able to pay them off each month, points aren't worth 20% interest charges! 🙂 Some people go nuts with tons of cards, but you can definitely benefit with one or two key ones if they make sense with your lifestyle. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, raesive said:

I totally agree Hawaiidan! I got a fancy chase card a few years ago, the bonus points for signing up/meeting the spending requirement helped jumpstart a trip to Europe last August. Husband and I flew business class (flat bed seats!) both ways for only about $200 in taxes/fees and points. Husband's company also puts him up in IHG brand hotels a lot, so we ended up getting their card as well, on that same trip stayed 5 point-purchased nights including one at a pretty fancy hotel in London. We don't have a HAL branded card, but our cruise cost will get us double points per dollar for spending on a travel category. There are some cards that get you more... I love using credit cards, but you have to be able to pay them off each month, points aren't worth 20% interest charges! 🙂 Some people go nuts with tons of cards, but you can definitely benefit with one or two key ones if they make sense with your lifestyle. 

Over the past years I have found 2 credit cards that perform for me   United Explorer exec card  for air miles,  And Marriott  Business  for hotels and you can transfer hotel points to become Air miles  It pays 6x $ for hotel, 4X for restaurant  groceries, gasolinemAir fare   phone charges,   it gives you a free night each year at a Marriott. a  $250 value   but the card charges 95  the second year.. when you sing up you get 60000 points... and automatic elite status.   I would  instead of the HAL card which only gets you cruise credit  is to instead charge your cruise on either UAL or Marriott card.    Your accrual value will be many more $$$ in value to you

Hint.  If your a couple, each of you get a marriott and UAl card  that way you earn 2 times as much. rather than putting the others name on  just one card.......  it will pay off beyond your dreams

Get a dedicated Airline and Hotel branded cc, not  "All airlines all hotels'.  WHy?     because why would a hotel or airline let a credit card that owns neither, give you a better deal....it dosen't make sense does it

Likewise  getting a CC for a cruise line is getting chump-change in comparison.

Dont fall for the cash back deal of 1-2%   Earning points for flights and hotels will always be more profitable if your ever intend to travel...  Example: spending as little as 2400.oo  for points will get you a $6000 internetional rt ticket in a bed   To get the same with the cash back youd have to spend over $23,000.00  10x more with cash back..... its a sucker s bet going for cash.

I agree that using a credit card with a healthy credit limit is best for cruising.  And that is what we always do.  But to make the enjoyment of cruising available to everyone,  you have to understand that not every person who cruises can get a credit card with a $5000 or $10,000 limit.   All some people can do is a debit card or cash, due to prior financial issues.   If these folks feel they have sufficient discretionary funds to take a cruise, then maybe the best they can do is plop down the debit card and make sure that even with the $60 per day/per person hold, it will not affect critical bills back home while cruising.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

you have to understand that not every person who cruises can get a credit card with a $5000 or $10,000 limit.   All some people can do is a debit card or cash, due to prior financial issues.   

Thank you .. well stated.