Moral/Ethical Question

PattyW

Patty, you can always push the two lowers together for you and your husband, have your three year old sleep in the bunk above you, we've done that twice with a two and three year old, there is a rail, no worries of falling out, and if she does, you're right there, but she won't. Then can you still Fit in the mandatory crib and have your little guy sleep on the couch by himself? We are trying a family oceanview stateroom this time around. Got a great deal, and it actually sleeps six so there would be plenty of "low" sleeping arrangements. Also ask the rep about slightly lying on your sons age. I've been told when we traveled NCL that they don't check, just fudge the year by one and correct them when you board. No biggie.

Very well said! I will never understand those who think it's a burden for a parent to spend 24/7 with their children. As you said so well, it is both a duty and a privilege. My twins were on their 3rd cruise before they reached the age of 3. Yes, it is alot of hard work cruising with two young children, but the benefits far outweigh the burdens. Just being able to spend time with them without the distractions of everyday life (bills, laundry, cooking, cleaning, etc.) is a very special treat that I wouldn't give up for anything.

And anyone who thinks that a place like Disneyland is easier or more enjoyable with young children has probably never vacationed with one toddler, let alone two. Just thinking about that kind of vacation with two little ones makes me want to scream.

First, my question was not - "Should I cruise?" If I had asked that question, then I would have thanked you kindly for your opinion. However, I did not and therefore I do not.

Clearly, you either don't have children or else your children are grown because you are ill informed as to the nature of the kids clubs on cruises. My three year old (this will be her third cruise, by the way) is old enough to participate in the children's programs on any cruiseline out there. Also, guess what? She's potty trained, so she can swim in the pool, too. Sorry to burst your bubble on that one.

And do you really think my 1.5 year old is going to "get anything" out of any vacation we take? I can see it now. Look at that gorgeous view of the Grand Canyon, Ryan! I can't wait to reminisce about this when you are 30. Also, I guess I don't know what you mean about taking care of my children 24/7. First off, as a parent that's my duty and my privilege. Second, how exactly am I going to not have to take care of my children 24/7 anytime for the next 18 years? Can I just forget about them at Disneyland, Legoland or the Grand Canyon?

DH and I both work and consider it a special treat to be with our children 24/7 for a week and wouldn't dream of leaving them with relatives, etc. We've cruised with a child as young as 11 months. I know what I'm "getting into", swimming rules and all.

Patty, as a disabled person, I need to give you a little dose of reality. Once you book an accessible cabin, it gets taken out of the inventory, period. It doesn't show up on any reservationist's computer that the HC cabin is booked by able-bodied persons, it just shows as a booked cabin. If I should call NCL and want an accessible cabin, I could very well be told that none are available because people who aren't disabled have booked those cabins. That's the problem with someone booking an accessible cabin when they aren't disabled. Look at it this way---do you take a handicapped parking space, because you don't want to walk a long way into the store with your kids, and you don't see anyone with a disabled parking placard in the vicinity? You could tell the police that if someone with a disabled placard comes along that you will move you car. But, how will the police find you inside the mall? It's the same thing with booking an HC cabin on a cruise ship.

Im one of the "old biddies" ;) As I havent cruised yet, I havent seen the type of cribs the ships provide, but would hazzard a guess that they may be the fold up travel type? If so......and they insist you have one.....would there be room in the bathroom or against a wall somewhere, to have it just folded up permanently? Maybe squash it behind the sofa?

You're probably wondering what my "need" is. It's pretty basic. DH and I want to sail with our two young children and all be in the same room. DD with be 3 and DS will be 1.5.

Sorry but having kids is not a disability, needing more room is not a disability

Your need is not really a need but a "want"

you want more room, but you really don't need more room

your idea of need is just wrong.

I have posted a message on the NCL board to obtain information on exactly which cabins on the Jewel have upper berths. I think, as long as we can tolerate the square footage, we will go that route.

Thanks Patty.

You do certainly deserve a "Happy Cruise" after all of the input here.

The words "Need" - "Want" - and "Deserve" have certainly been dissected completely.

Perhaps your post on the NCL board will hold much more information for you that will truly be useful.

Good Luck - and Please Do Have A Great Cruise.

Why, oh why, would you take a 1 1/2 and a 3 yo on a cruise? I can't see them enjoying it very much-they are certainly too young to "appreciate" the experience. And you will be taking care of the kids 24/7, as they will be too young for the kids programs. No swimming in the pools unless they are potty trained. I sure wouldn't think this was much of a vacation.

Take em to Disney World, Disneyland, Legoland, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, etc. Anyplace that is for kids. Lot more fun for them and YOU.

Why would you post this on here? I don't think the OP was asking for opinions as to whether her children are too young to travel. It irrates me and I'm sure others when comments like this are thrown around. If she wants to take her kids on a cruise, I'm sure just as she is researching the issue of HC cabins, she has done the same for ages of cruising with children. There's always a group of people here that are opposed to children sailing, but this post was not started for that topic.

Take your kids, have a great time and ignore the nay-sayers.

RIGHT ON YOU TELL THEM!!

QUOTE=PattyW]First, my question was not - "Should I cruise?" If I had asked that question, then I would have thanked you kindly for your opinion. However, I did not and therefore I do not.

Clearly, you either don't have children or else your children are grown because you are ill informed as to the nature of the kids clubs on cruises. My three year old (this will be her third cruise, by the way) is old enough to participate in the children's programs on any cruiseline out there. Also, guess what? She's potty trained, so she can swim in the pool, too. Sorry to burst your bubble on that one.

And do you really think my 1.5 year old is going to "get anything" out of any vacation we take? I can see it now. Look at that gorgeous view of the Grand Canyon, Ryan! I can't wait to reminisce about this when you are 30. Also, I guess I don't know what you mean about taking care of my children 24/7. First off, as a parent that's my duty and my privilege. Second, how exactly am I going to not have to take care of my children 24/7 anytime for the next 18 years? Can I just forget about them at Disneyland, Legoland or the Grand Canyon?

DH and I both work and consider it a special treat to be with our children 24/7 for a week and wouldn't dream of leaving them with relatives, etc. We've cruised with a child as young as 11 months. I know what I'm "getting into", swimming rules and all.

I say shame on the cruise line for offering the cabin to you in the first place, Patty. They should have worked with you more closely to try to figure out some other solution.

I really think the suggestion of having you or your husband sleep in the upper is actually the best ... glad you are going with it.

Bottom line ... the cruiselines should not book 'able-bodied' passengers in handicab cabins until 2 weeks prior to sailing. That still gives the line a chance to book an empty cabin and time for those who need the accessable cabin to book it.

You're probably wondering what my "need" is. It's pretty basic. DH and I want to sail with our two young children and all be in the same room. DD with be 3 and DS will be 1.5. We were looking at AF cabins on the Jewel. Even though I assured NCL that we didn't "need" a crib and that DD and DS could share the sofabed, they told me that it was "required" that they book the room with a crib for all passengers under 2.

Sorry, but this a pretty lame excuse IMO. There are lots of families in this same situation that somehow manage without taking a HC cabin. Maybe you should consider waiting 6 months until your DS is 2.

Why would you post this on here? I don't think the OP was asking for opinions as to whether her children are too young to travel. It irrates me and I'm sure others when comments like this are thrown around. If she wants to take her kids on a cruise, I'm sure just as she is researching the issue of HC cabins, she has done the same for ages of cruising with children. There's always a group of people here that are opposed to children sailing, but this post was not started for that topic.

Take your kids, have a great time and ignore the nay-sayers.

Yes, my post was OT but I really wanted an answer. Sorry if I offended.

We tried this last year, NCL, Hawaii, with a 1 yo and a 4 yo and 6 adults. It was a total nightmare. In fact, it was so bad, my DH, who really could spend 24/7 with both his kids and grandkids, got all of us off the ship in Kona. I was just curious.

Take your children and enjoy them. There are to many people who view children as a burden and hinderance. Yours are lucky to have parents who want to include them. As far as other people are concerned, it is really none of their business what your family does. You will never see them again. Go and have a good time.

If YOU are fine with taking care of little ones on the cruise, then that's all that matters. Places like Disney World are great but much more tiring for kids than a kids program on a cruise IMHO. We waited until my dd was 8 before we felt she was up to a trip to WDW. It was considerate and thoughtful of you to ask the original question - and I agree that it isn't safe to put little ones on the upper bunk. That said, I also agree that the handicapped room should remain available for those who truly need it. BTW, I took dd on her first cruise at age 3 and she still talks about how great it was (she is 12) even though she basically spent all her time in the playroom on the Nordic Empress (you couldn't drag her out of there - she thought it was the greatest place and she never left that ball pit!) Mabey your 1 y/o won't remember the trip but you'll remember!

I asked a similar question as a poll on the Disabled Cruise Travel board. A quarter of the respondents said that able bodied passengers should never book a HC cabin. More than half said it was OK to book two weeks before sailing. And a little less than a quarter said it was OK to book after the final payment date. No one thought that able bodied passengers should book a HC cabin before the final payment date.

In my case, the only cabins coming up on the major travel websites in the category I wanted were HC cabins. It ended up being a moot point because we booked our cruise on a different ship.

I find it rather odd that HCL would suggest booking a family in a HC room. I would think that could potentially set them up for discrimination against somebody that truly qualifies under HC.....

We are currently planning a family cruise (DH, self and 3 kids). My youngest daughter has a severe visual impairment which affects her depth perception, balance, etc. (She is blind in one eye.... wears a glass eye) and has a muscle problem with the other.... anyhow, she also was diagnosed with a mild form of cerebral palsy.....

Even with her disabilities- I would have never thought of asking for a HC room and wouldn't consider booking one if offered, as IMO there are people with more extensive disabilities that might actually NEED the facilities that the room provides :)

With that said, I am sure everything will work out. Enjoy your trip and cherish the memories forever!!!!

Archived