Help about to lose me as a costumer very upset

Rjh8842

1 hour ago, Rjh8842 said:

Well I just got off the phone with them. They offered to give me my nonrefundable deposit back. Or the same offer I was offered before. Then then after I said something they oh so generously offered to give me the full on board credit. When I asked if they would upgrade me to a suite they said no ( they still have 16 empty). And at one point the rep made a comment indicating they were upgrading me to a boardwalk. I then had to explain that I paid for 2 boardwalks. I discussed it with my nieces and nephew and they all suggested I just take my nephew and refund the rest or cancel and do something else. Going to sleep on it but not the solution I was hopping for.

Still doesn't seem like a great outcome except getting your NRD back.  I would be tempted to cancel and shop around for a good deal on a suite even if it was a different cruise line.  I do feel bad for the trouble you had.  I also feel bad for your nieces and nephew because that was a great gift and memory with their uncle. 

• Like 2

I’m sorry that they could not do something better for you. I can understand to them not wanting to put you in a full suite but I thought that there were some family staterooms that were not as fancy that might have worked to have partitioned spaces with bunk beds...but maybe they are not balcony rooms?

I wonder what would happen if you added another adult and split up the children between the two rooms and then the other adult no-showed at check in? Would they not let you board? I’m not totally sure that I would want to find out but maybe someone has experienced this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, I love RC but that is unacceptable as you have narrated it.  I would take my NRD back and take my money elsewhere.

That said, as a last effort, if you are going on an Oasis Class (Boardwalk so I assume yes) ask if there are any Ultra Spacious OV w/Lg Balcony available.  A little more room and potential for privacy in one room with a balcony as well and still close to boardwalk.  7730 & 7330 I think off the top of my head.  There are a couple of others in the same class but I'd take one of those first.

It is now officially canceled. Now I get to figure out what to do for vacation instead with only a few months to go. I will say I will  probably be back. Because we do have a nonrefundable cruise for 2020 and I am not losing $500. And the agent that I talked to did manage to accomplish something I needed. Due to a death we had to cancel a cruise last year. And when we recieved the future credit certificate it was in 2 names. One of those people had passed away. so I had previously requested that it get changed to one name. And it never got done. And today it did get changed to one name and the time to use it was extended. Of course I was asked for a death certificate for proof. Sadly she informed me that even with her working at the corporate office she had to get a surpervisor to approve it getting changed into one name. I did think it was a bit funny when thr agent was looking at alternative cruises this summer trying to get me on another and realized nothing could touch the deal I got for symphony. Anyways I know that a lot of people post on here for questions so i hope that in the future if you ever see any single aunts, uncles, grandparents or what not that you will remember what happend to me and advise them to not listen to the royal agent and they must be in one room.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Cel_cruise said:

I’m sorry that they could not do something better for you. I can understand to them not wanting to put you in a full suite but I thought that there were some family staterooms that were not as fancy that might have worked to have partitioned spaces with bunk beds...but maybe they are not balcony rooms?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a good option for someone that has not yet booked, but these rooms do tend to sell fast so it is very possible they didn't have any more for the OP's sailing. 

OP, I am sorry that you have had to cancel your cruise. I hope you can find another cruise to take with your nieces and nephew or even a land vacation with the time/money budgeted for this trip. One of my favorite memories as a teen is when my aunt took me and my best friend to Yosemite National Park for a week. Such a special trip. 

Good luck to you. 

On 2/18/2019 at 9:24 PM, SAmome said:

I'm confused, does having your kids in the neighboring room suddenly remove the rule about age 21 for all occupants?

I have friends that could have travelled on paper as adult and kid in one room and adult and kid and friend of kid in another.

But RCCL allowed them to book the 3 teens together, one is not a relative, in a cabin next to the parents. All are 18 or older, none are 21.

Could they run into problems or have many done this?

If they have not cruised yet ,they will have problems. On paper, they will have to put their non child in the room with them, not with their children. They can sleep where they like.

On 2/18/2019 at 10:09 AM, ShillyShally said:

I'd call back and email calmly - the main thing you are hoping to achieve here is traveling with your niece and nephew which I think is a great tradition!  Don't fuss about OBC, ask what options are available for your situation and appeal to the fact you booked in 2017 and they only just discovered this after you repeatedly had confirmed you would be fine.  But even if they won't budge, find a cabin that works, especially if it comes with suite perks, and just have a great trip!  I don't think any line would let you do this.  Land based vacations are different, hotels rarely check who is in what room especially if an adult checks in - sometimes I'm asked but that's less frequent than not but cruises are different and they can't risk bending on rules like this.  I completely get they don't usually play well with extended family or wanting to take kids' friends, heck do grandparents always have to book grandkids in the same room with them?  But at the end of the day, find a way to make this happen and then make the best of it!  

So this post is a real eyeopener for me. I had always put my kids across from us in an interior to our balcony. I now cruise with my grands and have been looking at adjoining cabins. I now know that will only work when both my husband and  I are there.

On 2/18/2019 at 5:24 PM, VaTech8912 said:

This does stink.  If you still want to cruise, in 2 rooms, consider Carnival.  Their policy would allow it given you are a relative.  Just an option and may not cost you any additional money. 

So on Carnival it just has to be a relative. I cruise with my grands and would love to do the balcony and interior thing that I always did with my own children.

So frustrating that their "rules" aren't necessarily followed or enforced across the board.

My husband and I cruised on April on Oasis with my 15 year old daughter and her friend.  We did book 2 rooms, next to each other with one adult/one child in each room with the intent of switching after boarding (which we did).  I noticed when I went to print the sea passes, that the TA booked my daughter's 15 year old friend into the room with my husband.  I would think that one-million alarm bells would go off on a booking with a 50 year old male and a 15 year old female - different last names- in the same room.  Nothing.  We had all the notarized authorizations from her parents, but they didn't ask for anything or even seem fazed by the difference in her last name.  If we were human traffic-ers, she would be gone - easily.

9 minutes ago, momofmab said:

So frustrating that their "rules" aren't necessarily followed or enforced across the board.

My husband and I cruised on April on Oasis with my 15 year old daughter and her friend.  We did book 2 rooms, next to each other with one adult/one child in each room with the intent of switching after boarding (which we did).  I noticed when I went to print the sea passes, that the TA booked my daughter's 15 year old friend into the room with my husband.  I would think that one-million alarm bells would go off on a booking with a 50 year old male and a 15 year old female - different last names- in the same room.  Nothing.  We had all the notarized authorizations from her parents, but they didn't ask for anything or even seem fazed by the difference in her last name.  If we were human traffic-ers, she would be gone - easily.

Plenty of situations where 1 parent has a different last name than their kids.  Why would alarm bells go off.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Plenty of situations where 1 parent has a different last name than their kids.  Why would alarm bells go off.

It should at least prompt them to ask for the paperwork that they supposedly require in order to travel with an unrelated minor. :classic_unsure:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

So on Carnival it just has to be a relative. I cruise with my grands and would love to do the balcony and interior thing that I always did with my own children.

Correct.  Does NOT have to be a parent or guardian.  Relatives are A-OK.  The age of the child is what determines how close the room needs to be to the relative.

I would definitely look into Carnival. Horizon is the newest and also sails out of Miami. I like carnival for family fun and these newer boats have family rooms with perks for booking them. at best you can get reasonable connecting balconies. If you are hesitant go through a travel agent instead of the line directly to help alleviate issues that might come up. I plan to do Horizon next year and one of those nice Havana rooms. But there is still time for you to find another cruise and probably at the same price you got this one for. glad they gave you your deposit back.

5 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

So this post is a real eyeopener for me. I had always put my kids across from us in an interior to our balcony. I now cruise with my grands and have been looking at adjoining cabins. I now know that will only work when both my husband and  I are there.

Me too, I'll be keeping this in mind in the future when I expect to be planning something similar with future grandchildren!  

7 hours ago, tiggedytiggs said:

I would definitely look into Carnival. Horizon is the newest and also sails out of Miami. I like carnival for family fun and these newer boats have family rooms with perks for booking them. at best you can get reasonable connecting balconies. If you are hesitant go through a travel agent instead of the line directly to help alleviate issues that might come up. I plan to do Horizon next year and one of those nice Havana rooms. But there is still time for you to find another cruise and probably at the same price you got this one for. glad they gave you your deposit back.

We just booked a balcony on Horizon for July. it was not my pick but others and our cabin for 4, 2 twins and a sofa and a pullman was 3700. Seemed high to me. Breeze we could have been in one of those nicer family harbor cabins for 3500.  But I am sure I will have a great time.