Hawaii from California -- Passport/Birth Certificate

DAllenTCY

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 8:09 PM, cccole said:

Anyone who is debating what type of I.D. to take when traveling.  If you are not traveling within the 50 U.S. states, your flight or your cruise will be stopping in a foreign port...why not take a passport?  There are often debates on CC about "should I or should I not get a passport?"  I think having a passport is a guarantee that you will be given access to your mode of travel.  So...I am directing this to anyone who worries about what type of I.D. is acceptable.  And, my comment is in response to the Op's original post re required documents.  You may not share my opinion and that is o.k.  This is JMO.  Cherie

This is my opinion as well. I use my passport as ID for domestic flights as well as all international travel. It is such an easy way to travel; no questions asked and no problems as an ID.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have to renew my passport this year as we have cruises booked in October and November and my passport isn't good for 6 months afterward. We sail in May and I'll renew after that. My CDL doesn't expire until March of 2021. It isn't the new Real ID license and I'm trying to decide if I should just wait until the thing expires before getting the Real ID or if I should just go ahead and "renew" my license now in order to get the Real ID. Since I do have a passport it's not really necessary to get the Real ID now but it's not like I carry my passport around with me all the time. I don't know why I might need the Real ID before my current license expires as I do carry my passport when traveling outside the US but, for some stupid reason, I just feel like I "ought" to get the Real ID now rather than waiting. I can't decide. (My wife says to just wait and do it in 2021...)