Hawaii from California -- Passport/Birth Certificate

DAllenTCY

3 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Well, the it seems the "new" California ID/license may not meet the requirements yet - they're working on it.....

The ones being issued are compliant. California will be making changes to DLs issued after mid April to further comply. Just got mine 3 weeks ago.

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

The "easy" docs to bring to your DMV appointment and to satisfy their requirement are:

1. Current valid passport

2. Utilities (gas/electric) bill that has your home addr on it

3. Social Security card (the original)

After mid April,  the second requirement will change to 2 bill's that have your name/address on them. Other things also meet this requirement.  Check the DMV website. 

• Like 1

The "easy" docs to bring to your DMV appointment and to satisfy their requirement are:

1. Current valid passport

2. Utilities (gas/electric) bill that has your home addr on it

3. Social Security card (the original)

All of these, or just one or the other?

21 minutes ago, retafcruiser said:

All of these, or just one or the other?

There are three separate category of docs - they want you to bring one of each three. Here's the full list for Calif DMV. Suggest you check the one for the Commonwealth as to if theirs is similar

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/2db22455-e270-47a3-819c-d7c7716d5194/List_of_Docs_REALID.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CVID=

Edited by Copper10-8

5 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

(bold is mine) When we did our first Alaska cruise, it was from Vancouver and we stayed at the Pan Pacific. When the porter came to collect our luggage, he said, "Please don't be offended, but I need you to show me your boarding passes and passports so I know they aren't in the luggage."  I wasn't offended. It's always good to be certain that you've got those docs with you.

Good double check.

But also good from a security standpoint, to prove you were really boarding and who you were, as he was taking your luggage and moving it to the ship. 

2 hours ago, richwmn said:

It took 15 years for it to take effect for many reasons. Ones that I can think of quickly, many states were reluctant to participate, many states have long effective times for their licenses, I believe there were a couple of court cases, etc. Each of these, and more, caused the extensive time for it to take effect.

I suspect California had started years ago, as my license was up for renewal (the type of renewal when you have to go in for a new picture and vision check). Having completed that, about 2 months had passed and my new license had not arrived. When I called DMV they said they were holding it as it did not match my Social Security Card. (I had not updated my name after getting married, and I had not applied for any new job, so I had not changed the card). As soon as I updated the SS card, my new drivers license came. That was a few years after 9-11, and an even year.

There are three separate category of docs - they want you to bring one of each three. Here's the full list for Calif DMV. Suggest you check the one for the Commonwealth as to if theirs is similar

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/2db22455-e270-47a3-819c-d7c7716d5194/List_of_Docs_REALID.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CVID=

That list looks pretty much like the list for GA. I will add though that for the proof of address you can not use 2 versions of the same thing. For example 2 registrations for 2 different vehicles don't work, but (at least for GA) 1 car registration and the insurance card for the same vehicle does.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Homosassa said:

If you have a Florida Driver's License, check to see if you have a gold star in the right hand corner.  If you do, you have a Real ID Florida license. 

No star means you need to get yourself down to DVM or find another government issued ID that meets the requirements when you fly.

The RealID for Florida is nothing new. I needed to show all the required documentation the last time I renewed my Florida license in 2010.

Same for GA...gold ️ 

7 minutes ago, richwmn said:

That list looks pretty much like the list for GA. I will add though that for the proof of address you can not use 2 versions of the same thing. For example 2 registrations for 2 different vehicles don't work, but (at least for GA) 1 car registration and the insurance card for the same vehicle does.

I actually found the process of renewing my GA license the easiest ever.  I brought in the 3 things listed and was done in minutes. They did tell me that now that I have the gold ️ I can renew my license on line in the future! 

1 minute ago, Ricktan said:

I actually found the process of renewing my GA license the easiest ever.  I brought in the 3 things listed and was done in minutes. They did tell me that now that I have the gold ️ I can renew my license on line in the future! 

When I first got the Real ID, I got to DMV early and had to wait an hour for the right person to show up (I was replacing a lost DL). The person went ahead and renewed for a full term. Only took a few minutes since I had everything ready. Last year when I renewed that, whole process was quicker. Short wait and 5 minutes to new DL.

2 hours ago, cccole said:

I understand that the Passport Card that you can get with your Passport is acceptable in lieu of the new DL.   I use my Passport Card when traveling through airports and have not had a problem.   Cherie  

Yes, for domestic flights.  A Passport Card does you no good for international flights, however.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Yes, for domestic flights.  A Passport Card does you no good for international flights, however.

Absolutely...if you have a Passport Card you hopefully also have a Passport which you use for international travel.  I do not think that the new DL is good for international travel.  Since a Military ID was not acceptable I assume the Passport Card would also have not been accepted for the cruise referenced by the OP, only a Passport.  However, I was just saying that when one of the new DLs is acceptable I think that a Passport Card will also be acceptable.  I always travel with every kind of ID that I might need, and copies of all.  Cherie  

Back to my original topic......we'll see how many guests on Wednesday venture over to the US Passport Office to purchase a duplicate passport because they didn't bring one.  Usually they can process in about 4 hours here in San Diego.

On the other hand.....  in the future......you will not be able to enter past the guards on the ground floor because you don't have the mandated ID to enter a Federal Building?

David

P.S. If you believe that a photocopy of your PP is good enough......try using a copy of a $20 bill.

Edited by DAllenTCY

I was on a round trip Alaska cruise from Seattle.  Someone picked up a gift in Juneau, brought it back to the ship, wrapped it, and were taking it back off to post office to ship. They said they had to wait at the gangway for someone from ICE to check the package and their receipt.  Eventually the were on their way to re-wrap the package at the post office.

Could have been something purchased on the ship was the reason

This was told to us in Pinnacle lounge that evening so didn't hear the whole story I'm sure

Edited by frankc98376

13 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Who are you directing this to?

Anyone who is debating what type of I.D. to take when traveling.  If you are not traveling within the 50 U.S. states, your flight or your cruise will be stopping in a foreign port...why not take a passport?  There are often debates on CC about "should I or should I not get a passport?"  I think having a passport is a guarantee that you will be given access to your mode of travel.  So...I am directing this to anyone who worries about what type of I.D. is acceptable.  And, my comment is in response to the Op's original post re required documents.  You may not share my opinion and that is o.k.  This is JMO.  Cherie

Edited by cccole
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

When the Eurodam departed 2 weeks ago, 11 staterooms (by my unofficial count) were denied boarding because they did not have the proper proof of citizenship.

Please read "Know Before You Go" and bring your required documents.

David

P.S.  Photocopies or cell phone images of Passports are not sufficient.  Neither are drivers' licences (solely),  military IDs, or expired PPs.

PLEASE do not pack your Passports in luggage and drop off with the porter!  You need your documents at the check-in counter.

I don't know if you were referring to copies of driver's licenses or non-Real-id licenses, but it appears that a compliant license alone is sufficient.  

12 hours ago, cccole said:

Why not just take your passport?  If you don't have one...get one.  It is so easy, and it's good for 10 years.  JMO  Cherie

Ditto on this. I always travel with my passport, even domestically. In the case my wallet is lost/stolen, I still have the requisite id to allow me to fly home. 

26 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

Only Enhanced Drivers Licences from New York, Michigan, Vermont and Washington states are sufficient.

You cannot cruise with other DLs ......bring your passport or Birth Certificate.

David

Just a note, if using the birth certificate (no passport) you also must have government-issued photo ID (for those 16 and older).  So a driver's license MAY be used, as long as you've got the birth certificate (or other form of confirmation of citizenship).

On 2/18/2019 at 8:42 AM, DAllenTCY said:

When the Eurodam departed 2 weeks ago, 11 staterooms (by my unofficial count) were denied boarding because they did not have the proper proof of citizenship.

Please read "Know Before You Go" and bring your required documents.

David

P.S.  Photocopies or cell phone images of Passports are not sufficient.  Neither are drivers' licences (solely),  military IDs, or expired PPs.

PLEASE do not pack your Passports in luggage and drop off with the porter!  You need your documents at the check-in counter.

I am not certain of this but if I read the passenger contract we all sign , it allows the ship's Captain or the company to put you off the ship and NO COMPENSATION is due the passenger,  for violating the contract.

Thus I suspect these folks also got no refund of their fare.    I have seen on other lines passengers put off the first day for failure to attend the lifeboat drill, too !