Free at Sea

Trouble112463

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering. I am a Latitudes member with NCL. Have been on NCL twice before. Have cruised 5 times before with other lines. Over 55 Years of age. I just booked a cruise on NCL Escape with my wife. Booked there so called sail away Balcony. They did not offer me any On Board Credit, Drink Packages, Wi-Fi, Specialty Dining, Excursions. or anything. The price of the cruise was with taxes and fees 2500+. I even prepaid the gratuities which were another $200+. Why didn't they give me any discounts or bonuses? The girl on the phone said I would have to upgrade my Balcony to something higher to get the extras for free. I don't get it. I have cruised just last November and had $100 onboard credit and Open Bar package included at no extra charge. Is there anything I can do to get something after spending that much already? Cabins in a lower class get all five offers for free. Someone help me please....

The sail-away rate is the rate that doesn't include the perks.  Note that the perks are NOT free, hence the sail away rate, lol.  You pay the higher rate and then get to tell everyone you got "free perks".  You paid less, and you get less.  Simple.

BNBR summed it up pretty well.  How far off is your cruise?  If you have not made final payment you could always monitor the balcony prices and upgrade for the same or a bit less and get all the perks?  You would have to do the math to see if its worth it or not.  Its frustrating because the "free at sea" promos never end so IMHO NCL is hiding the cost of the cruise LOL

Edited by david_sobe

If you notice, the Sail Away price is $320 cheaper than the lowest balcony you can get with the "Free at Sea" offers.  Notice at the bottom under Sail Away price it says:

Sail Away Balcony

As our lowest available rate for this category, a Sail Away Balcony stateroom guarantees you’ll receive a Balcony stateroom or better! Your stateroom may be on any deck and assigned up to one day prior to embarkation. Promotional rates and offers are excluded on this category (BX).

image.thumb.png.c9309b257351f4db211445cced4f5faf.png

Edited by ksmcdonald

These "sail away" rates are also being used by the airlines.  American Airlines has a similar budget bottom price where you sit in the last row, are first to get bumped, and cant change your flight without additional fees, etc.  They want to scare you into booking the higher class.

Now if NCL would only come up with a sail away rate for Haven cabins. I could do without a butler, concierge and priority embarkation for a 20% reduction :classic_tongue:

Edited by david_sobe

1 minute ago, david_sobe said:

These "sail away" rates are also being used by the airlines.  American Airlines has a similar budget bottom price where you sit in the last row, are first to get bumped, and cant change your flight without additional fees, etc.  They want to scare you into booking the higher class.

Now if NCL would only come up with a sail away rate for Haven cabins. I could do without a butler, concierge and priority embarkation for a 20% reduction :classic_tongue:

I would down for that discount!!! Too I will say the with the reduced air I am getting on a Sept 2020 Med sailing is awesome!! 

NCL doesn't give you anything for free. The "free at sea" perks are paid for directly by you in the form of a higher cruise fare and service charges.

As kcmcdonald pointed out, you're paying $320 extra per person on that sailing plus $140 in service charges for the beverage package and another $35 or so dollars for the dining package. So basically, NCL just got an extra $1,000 out of you for the "free perks".

Now you see that they're not so free after all...

• Like 1

This scenario comes to show exactly that these perks are NOT free. You have to pay more to get a room that includes these perks. I hate how NCL calls it "Free" at sea and how some of the cheerleaders insist it's "free" :classic_rolleyes:

Edited by Georgie562

30 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

NCL doesn't give you anything for free. The "free at sea" perks are paid for directly by you in the form of a higher cruise fare and service charges.

As kcmcdonald pointed out, you're paying $320 extra per person on that sailing plus $140 in service charges for the beverage package and another $35 or so dollars for the dining package. So basically, NCL just got an extra $1,000 out of you for the "free perks".

Now you see that they're not so free after all...

So true!  BUT, if you were to outright buy the drink package, it would be right at $1000 PER PERSON (based on their "new" price of $99/day plus gratutities).  Since almost no one buys the drink package, I can only surmise they raised the price so they could in turn raise the amount the collect in gratuities.

Ain't nothing "free!"